Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is the difference between these Bilstein shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the difference between these Bilstein shocks?

I see that SLP has deals on their shocks. What is the difference between the Bilstein Level II shocks and the Bilstein Ultra Performance? Are the Ultra Performance only for 2000-2002 cars? I have the hotchkis lowering springs and I'm looking for some good shocks to use that won't ruin my checkbook. Also are the Bilstein HD shocks better than the two above?
Old 12-14-2003, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

As far as I know, SLP only has one valving done for them by Bilstein, and that's only for the front shocks. The rear shocks in their set are regular HDs.

The front SLP Bilsteins have less bump and more rebound than the front HDs do.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to know whether the HD Bilsteins are valved
such that they work well with lower ride height. The SLP
seem aimed at use with the SLP Eibach springs that are
similar drop to the Hotchkiss, dunno about how the SLP
Eibachs and Hotchkiss compare on spring rate and rate
profile (Hotchkiss are progressive). A shock whose
damping varies with travel, will respond differently at
a different ride height. Likewise, a spring whose rate
varies with travel will demand a different damping
profile.

I have these same springs waiting to go on, so I'd be
very interested to know from people who've used the
Hotchkiss springs with SLP Bilstein, HD Bilstein, Strano
revalved Bilstein, and other options. Strano seems to
think the HDs are too soft but they seem to be hardcore
folks, and too soft for them might be just right for a guy
who just drives aggressively on the street
but wants to not take an ***-pounding on poor
roads.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Your best bet would be to either try the SLP Bilsteins, and see how you like them, or have Sam Strano get you a set of revalves.

I know that Sam doesn't adjust the bump, only the rebound, and how he adjusts that depends on the springs being used. However, Sam is also an autocrosser, so his valvings are probably biased towards that. In general, though, everybody that I've read about that have his revalves like them.

As I said, he doesn't change the bump on the front shocks, but I just installed a set of 1LE front springs with SLP Bilsteins, which have a little less bump than the HDs, and I like the lower bump rate. I am going to be getting my old set of Bilsteins rebuilt and revalved, and I'm going to have them drop the bump just a tad bit more, and increase the rebound.

Also, if you like driving the twisties, I've found that osft bump on the rear shocks really helps with keeping the rear end hooked up. There's one area I drive through where the road has wrinkled, and the rear end likes to skip around those corners with the HDs.

I tried a set of the 3rd Gen Sports (Bilstein makes a 3rd Gen HD and a 3rd Gen Sport), which have about half the bump that the 3rd and 4th Gen HDs have, and the rear end stayed planted through all of the turns with those on.

So, when I get my rears rebuilt, I'm going to have them revalved with 33% less bump, and see if they can valve the rebound with the low-speed characteristics of the 3rd Gen HD and the high characterstics of the 4th Gen HD.

The 3rd Gen HD rears have better low speed rebound than the 4th Gen HDs, but the high speed rebound isn't as good as the 4th Gens, so they give the sensation that the rear end is loose, almost like the car is nose-heavy, and about to tip forward.

Basically, if you want to get a simple plug and play set of shocks that will work well in general usage, get ahold of Sam, and he can get you set up.

If, on the other hand, you don't mind spending the money and doing the work, you can get ahold of the different shocks, try them and see what you like and don't like about the different ones, and go from there.

Me, I spend most of my time on the freeway, but I also do some twisties on my way to work, so I need something that handles well at high speed. I also put about 50,000 miles a year on my car, so I got ahold of the second set of shocks I have now, and I will get my first set rebuilt and revalved, then install them in a year or so, and get the new set rebuilt and revalved, and just keep rotating them.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found this info on a web page:

Bilstein HD B46-1913 front 159 bump 279 rebound
Bilstein/SLP B46-2071 front 130 bump 397 rebound
Bilstein B46-1914 rear 86 bump 174 rebound

Apparently the SLP Bilstein package used the same
(HD) shock for the rears?

I don't know what the units for damping are...
Old 12-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Teching In

the HD's should have enough valving for most moderate lowering springs. I have them with my pro-kits thougha and they make a terrible noise over decent size road inconsistencies. that may be because I have no isolators in as of now. I am putting in SLP Eibach springs with my HD's this weekend but that is more of a getting into my driveway issue than ride quality.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between these Bilstein shocks?