Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C6 Z06 brakes in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouvs
I only want to upgrade me rears if I feel its actually necessary not for the sake upgrading it.
If you're actually worried about performance and not looks, you need to be looking less at ANY BBK and look more at what really goes on with regards to the statics and dynamics of the vehicle. The majority of people I've encountered on this forum wanting or already have BBK's truly don't know what they're working with in the first place. I know, because I fell into that trap several years ago, and so did my friend who bought my last F-body from me (who still let's me drive it when I'm in the states).

If what you guys are saying is true, performance wise it actually has a negative effect to do your rear brakes unless you're going ***** deep to do it absolutely correctly. Which if thats the case I'll just stick with my front brakes upgrade...
Deep braking or not, it's still wise to achieve the best brake bias as possible. Read through the formulas that I directed to you and see why that even though a CTS-V/C6 Z06 front combo is really way too front biased.

The only problem I have with this is appearances... I think the rear rims look awkward when the fronts are competely filled in and the rears have these little tiny rotors and calipers... ohwell I guess.
Unfortunately the fancy and many times false representation of marketing has drowned out the understanding of the real world phenomena of physics. When I truly discovered why my several BBK's didn't actually improve braking performance the way I thought, I decided to get back into Engineering and really learn what's going on.

On an interesting side note, If you think the appearance of small brake rotor diameters within the large rims look unappealing, just have a look at vehicles with the most optimal aerodynamic properties out there and you'll see they can be quite shocking to the eyes.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
If you're actually worried about performance and not looks, you need to be looking less at ANY BBK and look more at what really goes on with regards to the statics and dynamics of the vehicle. The majority of people I've encountered on this forum wanting or already have BBK's truly don't know what they're working with in the first place. I know, because I fell into that trap several years ago, and so did my friend who bought my last F-body from me (who still let's me drive it when I'm in the states).

Deep braking or not, it's still wise to achieve the best brake bias as possible. Read through the formulas that I directed to you and see why that even though a CTS-V/C6 Z06 front combo is really way too front biased.

Unfortunately the fancy and many times false representation of marketing has drowned out the understanding of the real world phenomena of physics. When I truly discovered why my several BBK's didn't actually improve braking performance the way I thought, I decided to get back into Engineering and really learn what's going on.

On an interesting side note, If you think the appearance of small brake rotor diameters within the large rims look unappealing, just have a look at vehicles with the most optimal aerodynamic properties out there and you'll see they can be quite shocking to the eyes.

http://img.motorpasion.com/galleries..._hermes-05.jpg

I want to read through all that information but I'm thinking its going to be way over my head and out of my grasp for understanding... I can't see why someone can't just give a straight answer and say...

ideally with our fbodies and there factory weight ratio the ideal brake upgrade is "x"

Maybe this is easier... what are you running for brakes? I'm not questioning you by the way I'm sure you know what you're talking about... atleast a hell of a lot better then I do... I'm just looking for the "dumb down" answer.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

...I want to read through all that information but I'm thinking its going to be way over my head and out of my grasp for understanding... I can't see why someone can't just give a straight answer and say...

ideally with our fbodies and there factory weight ratio the ideal brake upgrade is "x"
AFA the straight forward answer, it's been stated many times by those who actually push their cars to the limit in competition (myself included). I've also mentioned the factory GVW, GVWD, and other factors. Also, if you read through all of the technical articles, it actually explains braking really well in "laypersons" terms.

AFA that "technical information" goes, if anyone knows basic algebra, differentiation and summation, then the only problem would be getting the data to plug into the equations. It's actually 3rd/4th year secondary school mathematics.

Maybe this is easier... what are you running for brakes? I'm not questioning you by the way I'm sure you know what you're talking about... atleast a hell of a lot better then I do... I'm just looking for the "dumb down" answer.
No worries about the questions as this is "LS1Tech", so therefore the discussions should involve more tech than just "lay talk." AFA what to run for brakes? Believe it or not, on the the Z28 I've listed as "sold", it's been through many front and rear brake upgrades, but the best performing ones so far have been OE brake calipers with SS lines, Centric rotors, and AFA pads go, they used to be HPS's (which are really best for all around) but since my friend looked at Sam Strano's postings about a more aggressive pad (Hawk HTC-30's) he's trying them out and prefers them. Also remember that if you have a suspension that let's the body float around like a ship in a stormy seas or running greasy donuts for tyres, you're braking performance will suffer no matter what you have.

EDIT: AFA Tyres go, for the street, I've actually been comfortable with 275/40/17 NT-01's. The don't last as long as most of those "uber street tyres" that cost several thousands, but for myself and my buddy, they work really well and better than the "uber street tyres" at somewhat higher street temperatures.

AFA that bugatti veyron goes, it actually has a relatively high Cd believe it or not. Something more shocking could be this: http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Default.aspx

Last edited by Foxxtron; 03-19-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
thread revival.......ill put my thoughts in and hopefully some people will listen who still want to upgrade rear brakes. take a look at all the f-bodies that professionally race.....CMC, AI, autox, solo 1/2, etc. nearly 100% of them have STOCK rear brakes, except for pads. STOCK rotors, STOCK calipers, STOCK brackets. the fronts, of course, are changed. only if you get an adjustable brake bias setup or a decoupled torque arm is it worth it to increase rear brake. if youve ever been on a track with good front pads, you would have seen the rear locks up and hops under hard braking. i use CHEAP, no-name pads in the rear, and i still have hop......which means there already is TOO MUCH rear brake. if i and nearly every single other person with the same setup has that problem, why would we want to increase rear brakes even more?

i have a set of brand new HPS rears.....never put them on, never will, for the reason i just explained.
I run HPS front and rear on the street and for autox... it's not an issue. You can use all the crap you want in the back--you said it yourself, you STILL have brake hop. The fact is the EBD will just keep trying to bias more and more to the rear. In fact the cheap pads could be making it worse as the superior initial bite up front makes more more and quicker dive which the computer sees and interprets as a lack of rear brake and tries to bias more the back.

I know folks that cut have their pad away in the rear and still had issues. In fact my customers who autox have less brake hop issues than most because I think I best understand how the ABS/EBD and the rear suspension works and at times can conspire to screw you.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

What does AFA and EBD stand for?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Electronic Brake Distribution
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Is that something that is controlled by our cars or something that we put on there?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Standard... it's how the car brake biases. There is no standard type proportioning valve in LS1 cars, they use the ABS pump to do the proportioning.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brakes in rear?