Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coil Over Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coil Over Questions

I'm currently looking to lower my 2000 Z28 and with my previous experience i prefer the height adjustment options of a coil over. I've done some research on this site and have found that Strange seems to be preferred over QA1. Now I i've seen some threads pop up here and there about the Edelbrock IAS coil over system, but was not able to find sufficient information on them.

Basically my goals for the car are the following.
-Street car that will see occasional track days (1/4 mile)
-Power goals are likely going to be somewhere in the 400's (cam, lots of bolt ons)
-Concerned more about straight line than cornering, however i do not want a sloppy handling car. In other words if it handled a little better than stock, but was much improved straight line wise i would be happy.
-Ride quality is on the bottom of the priority list

With the previous in mind what would be the best choice as far as a coil over set up? Also from what i've researched it seems as if the Edelbrocks come with everything necessary for the install (springs, hardware), whereas the Strange coilovers do not come with springs (i need some guidance choosing spring rate here as well). Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Edelbrock coilovers on the front of my car. I bought them used with low miles (~5000) and with around 20k on them they feel squishy compared to how they used to feel. I'm not sure if it's in my head or because of the engine swap weight differences or what. The Edelbrocks are only a front coilover system, the rears are just shocks valved for the Edelbrock rear lowering springs and if not you have to use OEM type lowering springs. That said, my friends say they still feel great and don't think there's anything wrong. I am looking into something a friend of mine runs (race shocks/front coilover setup using Bilstein race shocks - purchased from Unbalanced Engineering).

Coilovers in the rear aren't recommended if you're going to be concerned with straight-line traction more than cornering, but if you have the money you can make it work.

Ground Control makes a coilover conversion kit that uses stock type shocks (Koni/Bilstein/KYB/Tokico).

Another coilover option I see out there is the KW coilovers. I can't say much as to their streetability, durability, or use though. If you give Sam Strano a call he will probably be able to help you best.

Last edited by ZexGX; 12-22-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Depends on how well you want the car to work. QA1's are pretty poor shocks, in fact I'd sooner put you on KYB AGX's and have you run a Ground Control conversion over QA1's. But.... I can get QA1's if you want.

Edelbrocks I also have. They are only height adjustable in front (in fact don't come with rear springs at all those you get separately). I find them lacking rebound control, much like the previous poster found.

KW's are the best coil-overs for the car. They are height adjustable at both ends, are mono-tube gas shocks (QA1's aren't even gas charged). And give separate and independent compression and rebound adjustment as well. Cheap? Nope, but way better than the alternatives.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Sam, I have viewed your site often in an attempt to research coilovers and other suspension related items. I have seen the KW coilovers and have done research on them, although I understand that they are the best I just don't think $2K is within my budget. Sure if i could i would... who wouldn't want the best, but at this time I can't see myself spending that much on a coil over system.

Through my research as well as the responses in this thread it's safe to say i'm likely going to stay away from the QA1 stuff. I was hoping some members would be able to vouch for the Strange set ups however.

As far as ground controls go, is it recommended to do a "conversion" out back? I probably should have included this in my original post, but i was likely going to run coil overs up front and just some kind of lowering spring out in the rear. I searched on LS1tech and have found a few threads where members have had issues and concerns with converting the rear to a coil over set up.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I hate Ground Control as a company.... but the stuff works. I use to sell them, and quit because they can be such a pain to deal with and would always argue with me about spring rates I wanted vs. what they wanted me to use.

The GC's are not coil-over rears, they are weight jackers. It's not an issue, other than when you jack the car up the spring comes loose and the springs aren't coated.

I can take care of the shocks for you, and help you on spring rates based on your use, intended height and shocks that fit your budget better... then you can call them and order the kit and tell them what springs you want (vs. relying on them).
Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a plan to me Sam. However, is there any way you could possibly get the GC coil overs, that way you can get the mark up on them? Obviously i'd be buying the shocks from you but i would also like to spend as much of my budget with you as possible because you've been such a help. On the other hand if it's more trouble than it's worth for you to deal with GC then i can order them myself. THanks again Sam.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I very much appreciate that KTK Z28, but I just don't deal with them anymore. Only one of two companies I just dropped dealings with.

I can help you with everything else though.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Not a problem I can understand that completely Sam. I will definitely be spending money with you very soon. Thank you again for the help.

Quick Reply: Coil Over Questions