Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni shocks! any downside at all?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni shocks! any downside at all?

I apoligize if this question seems pointless to any one.
Ok, I'm gonna get SA Koni's on all 4 ends and keep the stock springs

Like they say at weddings, if you object speak now or forever hold your peace. Can anyone tell me *one* reason to get another brand instead, say, Hal gen-F shocks or Bilsteins? Would any shock outperform these in any area, the car is street/strip?!? The Cost isn't an issue, if theyre really worth the extra $$.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If cost isn't an issue, pay a few hundred more, and get the DAs!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, from what I've heard and read, the only downside to Koni's are their cost.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The only real downside is that they do not seem to last as long as Bilsteins.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardsman
Yeah, from what I've heard and read, the only downside to Koni's are their cost.
And the suspension setup learning curve. Lot's of settings to make things a lot worse and only 1 or 2 that make things better
Old 12-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I've been told that Koni's need rebuilt every two years.

Well, I've got two years on mine and 40,000 miles.

Just had it at the track a couple weeks ago. I didn't need to run it any different than a year ago.

I have DA's, btw.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I assumed they lasted as long as the Bilsteins. I figured: cough up the money now or I'll regret it when my cars paid off and the heavy modding begins.
BUT what your saying is that by that time, they will be worn out and need replacement? That makes cost more of an issue, there's a big difference between $600 and $1200 for shocks during your college years! I could afford one set within the next 5 years, but two sets is a little crazy.

Thanks for raining on my parade, I'll forgive you if you help me decide on a cheaper shock, to get me by for 2 years
Thanks again for your replies, appreciate it.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can have them rebuilt, rather than replaced. Not sure the cost of rebuilding them.

I'm planning to get the SA, as I've heard teh DA have too many settings and harder to get it just right. BTW these are more for handling the curves than the strip.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.truechoice.com

$135 each plus parts ($10-ish) for a rebuild. The "every 2 years" thing seems to apply to guys racing for points or championships, and, they are lifetime warranty. If they leak and such, they'll fix 'em.

I'd buy them again (I've got DA's).

My thoughts.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great, That settles it! Had me depressed for a second, but I understand now. Thanks for the help, I'll let yall know how they do.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
You can have them rebuilt, rather than replaced. Not sure the cost of rebuilding them.

I'm planning to get the SA, as I've heard teh DA have too many settings and harder to get it just right. BTW these are more for handling the curves than the strip.
Just a little insight on about my situation and product knowledge I have learned. You will probably want to but double adj for the fronts. It is vital in road racing applications to be able to adjust for understeer and oversteer and all the other good stuff that occurs from having a very heavy front end . But the rears you only need single adj. It would also help if you went with a set of adj collars and stiffer shocks from a company like ground control or global west. I have single adj all the way around and my rears are blown and they have been on the car for about 1 year now and I have never been road racing and the car is my daily driver. If you have money to spend, (like 1500$) then I would check out the group purchase thats going on at LG motor sports. I have heard many positive feedbacks from folks and there was a huge discussion between the GW,GC or LG coil over kits. Any ways if your interested in any more info I might be able to share, reply to my rambling words
Old 12-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Launching!

You blew rear SA's in a year?

I road race, autocross and daily drive on my DA's.. 40,500 miles. No issues.

I wouldn't agree with the statement that DA's are not neccesary for the rear. I use different rear compression settings for different tracks. Also adjust it for different autocross locations. But, I would agree that they are not right for everyone.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Koni's are very durable, but like anything if subjected to certain things can break. Some things that would effect the life of a Koni, or any other shock..... running springs too heavy for the valving, running springs way to soft or short and bottoming out often. Not running bumpstops.

The set of front Koni's (DA's) I used in 2002 were bought in 1998. They had about 60k miles on them. Won a ProSolo title with them, car with another guy driving was 2nd @ the Solo2 Nationals. I've only had two Koni's break. They were on a car with 800+ pound front springs. Every other Koni I've used on a 4th gen has been fine. My current front Koni's have about 50k miles (SA's) and are perfectly fine.

FWIW, I feel DA's are overkill for most people. I know how to adjust them, buy I don't run them on my car. Really I reserve them for those who REALLY HAVE to have them, open-road racers or trackers who want that abililty to change bump settings. Rebound is the big key.... Also DA's are a LOT more money.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-24-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will admit that I'd not be running DA's if I had not gotten them for a great price from a national level autocrosser that runs with my local SCCA (Dan Popp, I'm pretty sure that Sam knows Dan). I love my DA's, but I'm sure I'd love SA's as well. I was considering SA's when I stumbled onto these.

Kevin