Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another setback...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another setback...

While trying to get the spring off the strut on the front axle everything was going well until i got the strut off and put the compression tool on. now when i try to remove the nut on top of the assembly where you remove the spring is spinning the bolt inside the strut...

Any Ideas on how to stop it so I can finish my spring swap???
Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brian'sCharlotte(TA)
While trying to get the spring off the strut on the front axle everything was going well until i got the strut off and put the compression tool on. now when i try to remove the nut on top of the assembly where you remove the spring is spinning the bolt inside the strut...

Any Ideas on how to stop it so I can finish my spring swap???
If you are trying to re-use the shock I don't have any good ideas for you.

When I was replacing the front shocks on mine I ended up having to cut the shock boot, get a vice grip on the shaft and use a leverage extender to clamp down the vice grip as much as possible. Then take the nut off. Of course, by doing this, the shock is pretty much toast.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

same happened to me on my first set. Rust was so bad I had to cut it all apart. Even after getting the nut off, the shock shaft was completely seized up in the shock mount. Had to replace the shock mount.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Well, I got it off by just using a wrench and some vice grips.. Getting it back on was even harder. I just used an Impact and got it as tight as i could. now the shock or control arm is making a terrible noise. something like a bolt sliding in and out of a hole. i'm thinking it might not be tight enough or something may be time some new struts..
Old 12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

when you put it together did you compress the spring to allow the shock mount to fully slide down the shock shaft before tightening the nut? if not that is your problem. the nut cannot compress the spring by itself.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
when you put it together did you compress the spring to allow the shock mount to fully slide down the shock shaft before tightening the nut? if not that is your problem. the nut cannot compress the spring by itself.
Yeah, it was just that the bolt itself was spinning down into the shock where i couldnt hold it
Old 12-27-2009, 12:10 AM

have you tried using an air ratchet and a tonne of penetrating fluid (wd40 etc). I had this trouble all the time with the old cars I was driving but the speed and torque of the gun was enough to over-ride the rotation of the shaft.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by PHOEN1XV8
have you tried using an air ratchet and a tonne of penetrating fluid (wd40 etc)?
That's the only way I could get it done on my M6 car. We had it in a wall-mount compressor at my friend's shop and it took repeated efforts and fooling with ... I don't remember what all we did, but finally, slowly, we got each one off. It took a long time.