Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer GT-Plus vs. C5 upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baer GT-Plus vs. C5 upgrade?

Can anyone give me any feedback on one versus the other. I can do a complete C5 upgrade with rotors for about $750-$800 and Baer for $1050. I want stopability. I do not drive with my hair on fire but that is not the point. I do not see any post discussing the Baer setup? I cannot fit the CTS upgrade without investing mucho denaro for new wheels. Your honest opinions are appreciated. Current handling mods. Strano Sway bars, Koni DA, Hotchis 1" lower, UMI LCA and Adjustable phb. Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're referring to a Baer Claw GT vs. the C5 upgrade, the only difference between them are the mounting brackets, stainless steel lines (which is obviously not hard to add to a C5 setup), different style mounting brackets, the "eradispeed" style rotors and a "Baer" logo instead of "Corvette." Subject to pad choice, tyres, and brake fluid, they perform pretty much the same, if not completely identical. I've also tried the "eradispeed" rotor and other "floating" rotor replacements, and still no measurable performance difference over good C5 blanks. I mention this from personal experience.

If the bottom line is "stopability", then a good set of F-body rotors with the appropriate pads will stop just as good. When I refer to a "good" set of rotors, they should be ones with more mass between friction surfaces and the ventilation area of the rotor and NOT simple, cheap, lightweight crap. Even so, crummy pads will ruin rotors as well as overall braking, regardless of width, diameter, and overall mass. Beyond the brakes themselves, a good set of springs over your Koni DA's will help. YMMV.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

C5 is a nice project if you just want to do it, or will start racing. other then that, new blank rotors, braided lines, HPS pads and a fluid flush will improve and maintain braking enough for any street driving.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Good feedbacks Thanks

Quick Reply: Baer GT-Plus vs. C5 upgrade?