Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm worth it for d/d

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
so you're going to recommend against getting an aftermarket torque arm to someone because you're running a tunnel-mounted one and it's making noise? it's not exactly a secret that tunnel-mounted torque arms are noisier than full-length ones if you were to spend even a couple minutes searching old posts about them here.

properly installed, a full-length torque arm will make no more noise (and in some cases, less noise) than a stock torque arm does. i have a UMI adjustable full-length unit on my car, and it's just as quiet as stock, and gets rid of some of the slop in the rear end when taking off quickly. i also have UMI's T/A relocation crossmember to take the mounting point off the transmission, which gives me peace of mind that i won't break something under there......at this point, the rearend, the crossmember bracket, or the torque arm itself should break instead of the transmission....and as beefy as the T/A & crossmember are, my money is on the rearend.
anyone that is around here often knows a tunnel mounted torque arm may make noise. however, many people that don't know this will buy one because they are recommended for straight line traction. he has a daily driver. i just wanted to make sure he knew there may be some consequences. i know they can lose ground clearance as well. i have had passengers ask why is there increased vibration in my car. this all happened after the torque arm was installed. i have to explain to them that i have a full weight car that easily runs 11's and this requires giving up some drivability. if this was my daily driver there is no way i would get an aftermarket torque arm. a full length one often does not improve traction and can still increase vibration from time to time due to the harder bushings used. i don't see how an aftermarket one could be quieter than a stock one unless the stock bushing or torque arm was damaged/old. i understand it may flex more than an aftermarket one. however, i would never add an aftermarket one to my car unless i was going to relocate it off of the tranny. i know this is my opinion. others have their own opinion. i never stated he should not do it.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cals400ex
if this was my daily driver there is no way i would get an aftermarket torque arm.
this is the main statement that i have an issue with. this implies that all aftermarket torque arms cause noise/vibration issues, which is absolutely not the case.

and yes, i realize that you went on in your last post to clarify things a little, but in your first post you did not.....which means that unless i or someone else came in here and said something about it, that further clarification would likely have not been made, and people would just think that all aftermarket arms cause noise/vibration issues.

my car is a daily driver, and it has the UMI adjustable arm on it, and from day 1, i never had any noise or vibration that came as a result of the torque arm....and it's been installed for 3+ years.

Originally Posted by cals400ex
on a daily driver i wouldn't necessarily get one. i have a tunnel mounted one and you definately hear more road noise. this doesn't bother some people but i don't care for it.
this is your first post, and you did not give any clarification whatsoever, and that statement directly implies that all aftermarket arms cause problems.....which, again, is not the case.

the majority of the time people have noise issues with their aftermarket arms is when:

1) it's a tunnel-mount arm (and even then, some people DON'T have issues with them), or
2) their full-length arm is not installed/adjusted correctly
Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1

the majority of the time people have noise issues with their aftermarket arms is when:

1) it's a tunnel-mount arm (and even then, some people DON'T have issues with them), or
2) their full-length arm is not installed/adjusted correctly

You're also leaving out a HUGE factor in noise transmission, which is the type of end links you have.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Whether or not someone thinks that a modification makes the car noisy is pretty subjective anyway.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Whether or not someone thinks that a modification makes the car noisy is pretty subjective anyway.
Very true. One person's definition of "loud" or "noisy" may be quiet as a mouse to another. If you're deaf it wouldn't even matter, lol.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

It will make the car push harder and get even more slop out of the suspension, but it is heavier, and a little clunky.

For a DD, I would say no, but a track car, yes, most definitely.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Teching In

I'm in the same boat as you. Already have lca w/ relocation brackets, phb, sfc on a 95 z28 putting around 300 to the wheels.

Next up I'm doing just the torque arm relocation mount. Later on if I try making more power I'll look into a heavier torque arm.

My car is also my daily driver, but I could care less about noise, as long as I'm happy with the way the car drives.

Quick Reply: torque arm worth it for d/d