Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm worth it for d/d

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque arm worth it for d/d

got a 2000 ws6 6spd that is a summer driver and might see the 1/4 once a year but like to have some fun on the street. i have lca with relocation bracket, panhard bar and sfc, will torque arm benefit any way.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO i say no. if that is ALL you are going to do usually, keep the $$$ and invest it into something else. if your were going full bolt ons with track time id say what the hell but then id tell you to get a rearend haha
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what kind of power are you making? if you already have heads/cam and sticky tires, i'd say it would be worth it
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

just do a poly bushing with the stock torque arm for now. that's nice and cheap and should make a little difference.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally I felt a nice firm difference after putting in my transmission mounted UMI adjustable TA. I am a 95% driven street car, I go to the track occasionally, but for simply street use I noticed a difference in the way the rearend stayed much more planted around the corners.

I work on these cars pretty much every day, and I can tell you from experience, I've seen everything from a BONE stock car to a highly modified car break a torque arm. Does that mean you should run out and buy one, of course not (obviously it depends on how you drive it), however it does mean that it is something that is susceptible to break.

In respect to the cost, I think that we all spend money on our cars that could be spent elsewhere, but yes I think it is a worthwhile modification to any aggressively driven car.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above there is going to be a lot of different opinions. But it all depends on the type of driving you do! But if you do decide to go with one I would suggest going with a full length adjustable to not only maintain a great ride quality but also allows you to fine tune the rear end such as your pinion angle. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dj0ho82g01jkd6

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Launching!

how about taking stress off your trans and rear? can a torque arm do that.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by colews6
how about taking stress off your trans and rear? can a torque arm do that.
if you get the relocation mount it takes ALL the stress off the tailshaft of the trans, and helps hold the rear much stiffer, thereby alleviating some harmful movement. i noticed a big difference when i did both at the same time, the rear definitely seemed much more planted
Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Hello
Like mentioned above! What takes the stress off of the rear of the trans is a transmission relocation cross member. They are one of the best bangs for the $ because when you get around 425-450 HP range that is when it could get messy. Due to if the mounting bracket (clam shell) on the rear of the trans breaks you have to replace the entire tail shaft which = money and headaches...lol If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-29-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

What is the typical 60' gain at the track over a stock TA. I just purchased a chassis mount from you guys yesterday.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

i see that you can adjust the ta at 2 different setting. who much does the top and bottom hole change the rear angle.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OddballLt1
What is the typical 60' gain at the track over a stock TA. I just purchased a chassis mount from you guys yesterday.
hard to say, what is your current setup? it should definately help if you're running some sticky tires. if you plan on keeping your car stock, you wouldn't necessarly need an aftermarket TA unless you drive the car real hard
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
hard to say, what is your current setup? it should definately help if you're running some sticky tires. if you plan on keeping your car stock, you wouldn't necessarly need an aftermarket TA unless you drive the car real hard
I have an almost full bolton LT1, completely stock suspension. I was cutting mid 1.6's on my old converter, I run 275/50 ET street radials. Over a stock TA, how much is the aftermarket worth? If I could see high 1.5's/1.6 flat I'd be happy with the investment.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'd be surprised how flimsy that stock TA is, it's just stamped steel. I'd say go for it. Plus you've already got the LCARB's, SFC's and PHB....why not tie it all together w/ a beefy TA.

Last edited by kc533; 12-29-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed, the stock unit is extremely flimsy. i was surprised how much more beefier the aftermarket TA is when i took the stock one off. probably weighs at least 10 more lbs, i wish i would've weighed it. as far as dropping your 60' time, a TA will reduce your wheel hop, helping your launch in general. there was a member on here who reported going slower though by just replacing the TA. is it worth the money? i would say yes
Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Launching!

well i quess i will get one in the new year due to the fact like like to smack the car around, so i would like it to hook up and feel more solid when coming on to it
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, i can vouch for the like stock HP breaking torque arms... mine is cracked on the bottom where it bolts to the rear.. lol!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

on a daily driver i wouldn't necessarily get one. i have a tunnel mounted one and you definately hear more road noise. this doesn't bother some people but i don't care for it.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by colews6
got a 2000 ws6 6spd that is a summer driver and might see the 1/4 once a year but like to have some fun on the street. i have lca with relocation bracket, panhard bar and sfc, will torque arm benefit any way.

If you never plan on increasing the HP on your ride and it's going to be DD only... Save your money.

If you want to improve your handling, launching and add HP in the future. Well, it is a must.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cals400ex
on a daily driver i wouldn't necessarily get one. i have a tunnel mounted one and you definately hear more road noise. this doesn't bother some people but i don't care for it.
so you're going to recommend against getting an aftermarket torque arm to someone because you're running a tunnel-mounted one and it's making noise? it's not exactly a secret that tunnel-mounted torque arms are noisier than full-length ones if you were to spend even a couple minutes searching old posts about them here.

properly installed, a full-length torque arm will make no more noise (and in some cases, less noise) than a stock torque arm does. i have a UMI adjustable full-length unit on my car, and it's just as quiet as stock, and gets rid of some of the slop in the rear end when taking off quickly. i also have UMI's T/A relocation crossmember to take the mounting point off the transmission, which gives me peace of mind that i won't break something under there......at this point, the rearend, the crossmember bracket, or the torque arm itself should break instead of the transmission....and as beefy as the T/A & crossmember are, my money is on the rearend.

Quick Reply: torque arm worth it for d/d