Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake setup on my 2002 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can't just slap on C5 rotors.....takes specific brackets (and most then take C5 calipers and pads, not F-body calipers and pads).
i just wanted to slap on the rotors for now, i know about the brackets, i was working on using brembo calipers to fit under the 17's but i lost interest, (unless i find some radial calipers or ones off a mitsubishi evo) i was going to fabricate some brackets with my dad so we can fit on the c5 rotors and bolt up the f body calipers, i dident want to waste my money on another set of floating 2 piston calipers from a c5
Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want C5s in the front, then do it right or not at all. im no fan of everyone else doing it halfassed, and just using the rotors or just the calipers, or whatever. its called a C5 conversion for a reason.....all the parts are meant to work together. in addition to the larger C5 rotor, you get a bigger pad with the entire C5 setup, thereby increasing your brake performance in that regard.

if all you do is drag race, you dont need ANYTHING other then fresh stock parts. especially in an 1/8 mile, there is no way youll be going fast enough to worry about stopping. if you are, your car should be fully caged and have a parachute anyway. use HPS pads, new stock replacement rotors, flush fluid, and if anything braided lines. thats all you need for drag racing, or any street driving.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ae13291
thank you for the response, seems like i will go the route of putting on the c5 rotors and maybe down the line upgrade to some c5 calipers or brembo's.

i also have a question unrelated to rotors, would a brake pad dry out or possibly be bad if its older then for instance 5 years?
Not likely that a pad would go bad in that short of a time as long as it was stored properly. Damp or humid conditions can create surface rust on a semi-metallic pad. As long as they look ok I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
Not likely that a pad would go bad in that short of a time as long as it was stored properly. Damp or humid conditions can create surface rust on a semi-metallic pad. As long as they look ok I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
thanks for the response man
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
if you want C5s in the front, then do it right or not at all. im no fan of everyone else doing it halfassed, and just using the rotors or just the calipers, or whatever. its called a C5 conversion for a reason.....all the parts are meant to work together. in addition to the larger C5 rotor, you get a bigger pad with the entire C5 setup, thereby increasing your brake performance in that regard.

if all you do is drag race, you dont need ANYTHING other then fresh stock parts. especially in an 1/8 mile, there is no way youll be going fast enough to worry about stopping. if you are, your car should be fully caged and have a parachute anyway. use HPS pads, new stock replacement rotors, flush fluid, and if anything braided lines. thats all you need for drag racing, or any street driving.
I somewhat agree with this. The larger C5 pad won't increase you coefficient of friction (mU is determined by the pad compound) but it will provide more resistance to fade due to the increase in mass. Like I mentioned earlier, a larger rotor with the same caliper is really only offering two advantages; 1) Increased mass and thus increased conduction heat transfer ability (this is negligible though) and 2) Increase brake torque. Increased brake torque is good, but keep in mind the result will be decreased pedal sensitivity. (Whether or not you want that I guess depends on your personal preference). What really sets the C5 rotor apart from the F-Body is the directional vanes inside of it. You stand to benefit from that whether you upgrade the calipers and pads or not.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I've heard a bit about the C5 conversion, and it just doesn't seem like it's worth doing. Call me ignorant, but I don't really see the benefit of having C5 rotors unless you're trying to do some kind of insane braking stunt. Yeah my stock rotors and pads didn't really give me any problems when I ran it down the eighth it just left a little more to be desired you know? So the ATE rotors with the HPS pads are the way to go outside of a C5 conversion? What about the type of rotor? Would you recommend the slotted ones over the blanks? I like the way the cross drilled ones look, but like I said, I've heard negative things about the structural integrity.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are we fine with using our stock calipers when doing the c5 conversion? I know the main benefit is the larger c5 pads and the 12.8inch rotors and based on what I read, the calipers are well matches besides the fact that the c5 units are produced using a different technique.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Striker
Are we fine with using our stock calipers when doing the c5 conversion? I know the main benefit is the larger c5 pads and the 12.8inch rotors and based on what I read, the calipers are well matches besides the fact that the c5 units are produced using a different technique.
the c5 calipers will not flex like the f body calipers and you have the advantage of a bigger pad
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
the c5 calipers will not flex like the f body calipers and you have the advantage of a bigger pad
Any ideas on where the best complete conversion kit can be found?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer
I like the way the cross drilled ones look, but like I said, I've heard negative things about the structural integrity.
This concern is blown way out of proportion. If you plan on doing HPDE events or anything with sustained high speeds they are not the best choice. If your car is primarily street driven with occasional auto-x or eighth mile runs they will work fine and provide added airflow which will keep them cooler. Not all cross-drilled rotors are engineered the same way. Drilling too close to the outside edge, over drilling or drilling small holes will all create more stress risers. All Powerstop drilled rotors come with a one year manufacturer warranty against cracking and three years if used with Powerstop pads. BTW any rotor can crack if abused. I don't care what blanks you have, let me loose on road america for an afternoon and your rotors will be ready for the scrap bin.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Striker
Any ideas on where the best complete conversion kit can be found?
sam strano should have and ws6store i think and lg motorsports i know has some nice conversion brackets
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone go with the z51 brake combo? rotor size is up 13.4inches.

Quick Reply: Brake setup on my 2002 Z28