Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2000 Z28 Lowering advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z28 Lowering advice

Wanting to Lower my camaro but had a few questions before i did.. i have 9.5x17 fronts and 11x17 rears, wanting to lower about 1.5-2 inches front and rear. Just curious if i would scrub in front and back and if id have to fabricate anything. Just wanna get a good look @ wut i need to do before i buy the kit. thanks Chris.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

you'll probably want/need an adjustable panhard bar to avoid rubbing in the back after you lower with wide tires. i really wouldn't recommend dropping it that far though. regardless of how far you end up dropping it anticipate getting an alignment, new shocks(if you don't have good ones already), and possibly lca relocation brackets.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Teching In

how far would u recommend lowering then? and im assuming ill need struts with the new springs?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96monsta
how far would u recommend lowering then? and im assuming ill need struts with the new springs?
less than 1.5in. check out strano's springs. alot of people have them, including myself, and enjoy them quite a bit. they are a functional spring.

you dont need new shocks, but expect your car to be useless at basically everything if you leave the stock decarbons on there
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

to be very technical i believe our fronts actually have shocks not struts, not that it really matters haha. but yes i would definitely recommend getting a quality shock (bilstein or koni) when lowering. there's mainly two reasons i wouldn't recommend going that low. first of all, you'll lose a lot of travel. second, there's just not many (or any) GOOD springs that will lower 2". pretty much the only spring that goes that low is the eibach sportline or some of the cheap ebay springs. their rates are way too soft for how low they are, so you'll end up riding the bump stops all the time.

if you really want to go that low, i would recommend doing the "upper mount mod" which i believe was invented by JasonWW, and something like the ground control coilover setup with a stiff spring in the front, and stiffish springs in the rear as well. that way you'll regain some of the travel (upper mount mod) and have a stiff enough spring to keep you off the bumpstops.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Wanting to Lower my camaro but had a few questions before i did.. i have 9.5x17 fronts and 11x17 rears, wanting to lower about 1.5-2 inches front and rear. Just curious if i would scrub in front and back and if id have to fabricate anything. Just wanna get a good look @ wut i need to do before i buy the kit. thanks Chris.
Hello, just to give you another option our lowering springs have a 1.25" drop and carry a lifetime warranty against spring sag. You are going to need an adjustable panhard bar to get the body lined back up. We have several different bars to chose from. If you have any questions please let me know.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Chris
I noticed that you are looking into lowering your vehicle. I just wanted to suggest to you that UMI Performance has a wide variety of suspension parts to offer such as Adjustable Pan Hard Bars to allow you recenter the rear back under the vehicle due to it shifts when you lower a vehicle. And also I would recommend going with a set of Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets to allow you readjust the lower control arm back to the correct angle (which is parallel to the ground) which gains back all of your traction loss and eliminates wheel hop. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...48buhr9o7ga6p2

And when you purchase from UMI Performance you are not only getting a great quality product that performs. But its also made right here at our own facility in the USA. And we offer great customer service and tech support.
Thanks
Brad

I

Quick Reply: 2000 Z28 Lowering advice