Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I Love Polyurethane!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Love Polyurethane!

Guys,

Something a lot of people forget are bushings, mounts etc.
Remeber all that horsepower we have at the Flywheel? Well, all that energy still has to transfered to the rear wheels. Polyurethane bushings and mounts do that far more effectively than our OEM rubber bushings and mounts do. Back in 2004, I had my built 94' LT1 with a 100 dry shot. When I'd spray from a roll, I'd rip my OEM rubber tranny mounts into 5 different pieces! I kept going to Autozone and buying the anchor (made in korea) bushing. Ummm yeah, I went through 4 of those bushings until someone knocked some sense into me and told me to stop being stupid and pick up a polyurenthane transmission mount. So, I bought one for $24.00, and it was by far the best for the buck I have ever come by. That mount made such a difference, the car felt tough, and solid. I transfered that power to the wheels better than ever before and probably saw a couple hps back.

So, needless to say, I love my Polyurethane!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do some polyurethane motor mounts, and you'll be cursing the same thing you praise. Not because they suck...because they don't...but because they are a bitch to install. That said, I really like my poly motor and transmission mounts...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Do some polyurethane motor mounts, and you'll be cursing the same thing you praise. Not because they suck...because they don't...but because they are a bitch to install. That said, I really like my poly motor and transmission mounts...
lol, those motor mounts are a bitch!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Poly mounts are great. Poly in some applications is not great, however.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't see how you increase rwhp/decrease driveline loss but I do see how the launch responds better
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to go for some poly mounts but I am a little apprehensive. I don't want a lot of vibration in the car.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
I want to go for some poly mounts but I am a little apprehensive. I don't want a lot of vibration in the car.
Well, if you had an M6, I'd say to go for it. For some reason, the A4s seem to cause more interior vibration. However, my wife loves the interior vibration, so it works out for us! LOL
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I don't see how you increase rwhp/decrease driveline loss but I do see how the launch responds better
Well, I'm not a whiz but, when a lot of power is being driven through your transmission, it vibrates, a lot! So, everytime your tranny moves, you lose positve energy! Through your motor mounts, tranny mounts, ds, rearend etc. When a polyurethane bushing is applied to the transmission let's say, it increases rigidness/stiffness causing that tranny to be planted better, more of that energy is applied/transported through the tranny due to less movement. I'm not saying you'll bolt on 20rwhp. I'm just saying, on a 300hp engine, you only see about 270hp to the wheels if you're lucky! Right? So, if you were to apply that tranny mount, more of that 300 will make through your ds! You're not adding Horse Power, you're saving it!

plus they last longer
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

I did the poly tranny mount on my a4 and was happy then i got my poly motor mounts and torque arm mount and was really impressed but it did take me and a friend about 5 hours to install the engine and torque arm mounts even with a lift. but no more exhaust beating the bottom of my car and i have no strange vibrations
Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you relocate the torque arm off the transmission, you dont need a poly trans mount and consequently you dont have the transmission noise issues.

also, you don't have to worry about breaking the tailshaft housing on the transmission.

poly motor mounts are awesome. i did not like the poly trans mount.

relocated torque arm + poly motor mounts + rubber trans mount = stock quiet, bullet proof strength (no broken mounts or housings) and no engine or transmission movement.. best way to go IMO
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
if you relocate the torque arm off the transmission, you dont need a poly trans mount and consequently you dont have the transmission noise issues.
I tend to disagree here, in all of the cars I have been in where guys relocated their torque arm off the transmission to a chassis mounted arm had a lot of vibration and noise transfered to the cabin. But yes, the chassis mounted torque arm should be a lot stronger.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
8 Second Club

I tend to disagree here, in all of the cars I have been in where guys relocated their torque arm off the transmission to a chassis mounted arm had a lot of vibration and noise transfered to the cabin. But yes, the chassis mounted torque arm should be a lot stronger.
I agree^! But I needed a poly trannymount. Mine was destroyed from power. If you're pushing over 400rwhp, count on your tranny mount givin' himself up.
I had lots of interior vibes, but atleast my stuff was solid.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Were these full length trans crossmember mounted torque arms? or were they tunnel brace mounted torque arms? theres a big difference
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
8 Second Club

Were these full length trans crossmember mounted torque arms? or were they tunnel brace mounted torque arms? theres a big difference
Trans Crossmember
Old 10-28-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree here, the poly's are the way to go!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i've gathered from reading the forums about other people's experiences, the tunnel-mounted torque arms are the noisy ones (the ones that are shorter than stock length), and the full, stock-length torque arms are just as quiet as stock, and even quieter when they are relocated off the tranny, and onto a separate mount, like the one UMI sells Here for the M6 and Here for the A4
Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a poly tranny mount for about 2months and hated every second of it. The cabin noise increased 100 fold it was awful. I tried everything to resolve it, backing plate, no backing plate, even put rubber bushing things under all for bolts that hold the the bracket the mount is on hopeing to get rid of the vibrations going into the underbody then into the cabin. I don't know how people stand them, I can handle extra noise but this was not alittle it was a lot. The first time I drove it I really thought I had left something loose and everything was vibrating.

Quick Reply: I Love Polyurethane!