pm sent to sam strano
Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running an Strano 35mm front and GM 21mm rear
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

strano, ive had your bars for awhile that i haven't installed yet. given that a lot of guys are in the 10's with stock suspension has me thinking after what you said with a stiffer bar for the rear. with a realistic goal, (street car that sees the strip) do you think running a 300lb springs in the front, (not sure on shocks yet) with your hollow bars that i could have my cake and eat if too? realisticly, i just don't want a happy tail like it does stock when im driving my procharged ss. i just don't want close to 600rwhp and happy tail like these cars come like stock. i don't want a drag bar either. the strip is fun an shooting for realistic 1.6's on the 60ft. i know its far from the setup these bars usually go with but im looking for an opinion and judging from what ive read on here it does seem like a good idea. 275/60/15 drag radials on the rear if that matters.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Do I think you can run 1.6's with my bar? I do but can't give you a guarantee you will....we've all seen cars with a zillion trick parts that still can't leave for whatever reason.

If you really are that hardcore you could always unhook the front bar for the track when you go (rendering it useless), and hook it back up for the street---that's having your cake (nice bars, good balance) and eating it too (effectively no front bar when drag racing).

A car with 600 will always be capable of oversteer, even with no bars because you can just spin the rear tires so easily. The bigger an bigger the bar on the rear, and the smaller and smaller (or no) bar on the front, the worse oversteer gets.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the response. i will try several techniques and removing the front bar will be one of them when the time comes. there will be a thread at the end of this yr hopefully of the progress. btw, what do you think would be ideal for a shock for what im trying to pursue? im thinking the strange SA for the quality. 2nd, the qal's 12 way adj.

edit: i just read that the qal's give that boaty feel which im not after. maybe staying with stock shocks and throwing some 300lb springs in the front and running your bars should be the first trial an error. opinion?

Last edited by airforcemanss; 01-25-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

You do realize that stock springs are 292 pounds in an LS1, and about 310, but shorter in an LT1..... right? I guess not based on the want to run 300's, which you already have....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

^you sir just made my day! i wasn't sure what the stockers were. do you know what the rears are by any chance? i am a very happy man
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
thanks for the response. i will try several techniques and removing the front bar will be one of them when the time comes. there will be a thread at the end of this yr hopefully of the progress. btw, what do you think would be ideal for a shock for what im trying to pursue? im thinking the strange SA for the quality. 2nd, the qal's 12 way adj.

edit: i just read that the qal's give that boaty feel which im not after. maybe staying with stock shocks and throwing some 300lb springs in the front and running your bars should be the first trial an error. opinion?
Search around, thats what drag shocks (QA1s, Afco, Strange etc.) do. They are designed to transfer weight and be "loose."
If you don't want a loose, unstable boat feel steer clear of the drag shocks and go for some sport/handling shocks like bilstiens or konis.

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
^you sir just made my day! i wasn't sure what the stockers were. do you know what the rears are by any chance? i am a very happy man
Stock LS1 Fbodies have 114lbs/in rate in the rear.
Spring rate database can be found here:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

Quick Reply: Which sway bar to get