Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Went with QA1 Shocks vs Koni

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have QA1s on my car along with the matching springs (on the front, shocks only in the rear with stock springs). I can tell you that unless you're planning to drag (on the strip) primarily, don't do it. You will regret it. They totally kill the handling of this car and even the stockers are better in that sense. Mine are adjustable but the best I can hope for is not even as good as the originals were - seems like there is no "just right" setting for normal driving with the QA1s.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Man... guess im just a moron for posting that the op would only get one opinion on this board... wait a minute... thats all he has gotten. Koni shocks would most likely suit the op best for his needs and application, no one ever said they wouldn't. Sometimes its just fun to throw a stone and watch the ripples come to the surface.

Nick
Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ if the OP said that he was into drag racing the opinions would have been different, but if you're looking for road comfort and handling (like the OP) why would you go with something else if you're already spending over $700 on shocks? I fail to see why there should have been something else suggested. Bilsteins maybe, but once again, if he spend $700+, might as well go Koni's
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Man... guess im just a moron for posting that the op would only get one opinion on this board... wait a minute... thats all he has gotten. Koni shocks would most likely suit the op best for his needs and application, no one ever said they wouldn't. Sometimes its just fun to throw a stone and watch the ripples come to the surface.

Nick
Hey, what about the KW Variant 3 Coil-over kit ?

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Maybe he wouldn't mind spending $2125.00.............
Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Summit employees I would guess are probably more geared toward drag racing as most people are with this car. Plus in most cases you shouldn't really consider advice from vendors as advice.. but more marketing. Some vendors are legit though.

If you do plan on really doing some handling applications like autox or road race, yeah I'd probably consider selling them and getting Konis. That's just my .02 though. If your drag racing then I'd imagine those are decent for drag racing. QA1s I thought were pretty expensive though.. especially if you want handling then your probably paying more for worse shocks.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

The QA1s & Koni 4/3s are the same price ($750), I ordered the Konis from Sam on Wednesday & returned the QA1's to Summit yesterday. I think I will be much happier with the Konis. Guess I'll wait and see, they should be here either tomarrow or Monday. Thanks for the advise. Which setting is most common? My goal for as of now is comfort & road handling.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Hey, what about the KW Variant 3 Coil-over kit ?

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Maybe he wouldn't mind spending $2125.00.............
LOL, yea those look nice. Personally, if I was going to spend around a grand for shocks, I would probably spring (no pun) for a coilover setup. Thats just me. My thought process for this thread was kind of off topic anyways.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Why not? We spend that much on heads anyway? LOL. QA1s have a place. Just not for handling.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garylisko
The QA1s & Koni 4/3s are the same price ($750), I ordered the Konis from Sam on Wednesday & returned the QA1's to Summit yesterday. I think I will be much happier with the Konis. Guess I'll wait and see, they should be here either tomarrow or Monday. Thanks for the advise. Which setting is most common? My goal for as of now is comfort & road handling.

I like mine one turn from full soft on the rear an two sweeps from from full firm on the front....
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm getting the Konis tomarrow, Fedex guy decided to leave me a door jammer instead of knocking hard enough for anyone in the house to hear. Any other suggestions on which settings to go with. The reason I spent this kind of money is to see a more comfortable ride with good handling. PA SUCKS!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Set the rears to full soft, and the fronts 2 sweeps from full soft.
If you feel the front is to stiff go back down to full soft.

Here's you a jump start on adjusting the shocks.
Front:
http://www.koni-na.com/sweep.cfm
Rear:
http://www.koni-na.com/mono.cfm

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-24-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Now if i put it on the soft settings, will i still have the good handling or is there a 1/2 way mark for both? I havent read up much on it, because I'd rather have everyones actual experiences. Word of mouth travels farther than words to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Now if i put it on the soft settings, will i still have the good handling or is there a 1/2 way mark for both? I havent read up much on it, because I'd rather have everyones actual experiences. Word of mouth travels farther than words to me.
Most usually run the Koni 3 rears on full soft, the fronts I couldn't see you needing to go over 4 sweep from full soft at max, since your on stock springs, so 2 sweeps up from full soft should be about right.

I've got Koni SA 4/4 on my car but I have 625 lb.in. front spring rate (koni's set 5.5 sweeps up from full soft), and air spring in the rear (koni's set at 1/4 up from full soft)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

talk to Sam
Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Missed Sam today, tried reaching him late this evening. Took the advise on full soft on rear and two sweeps from soft on front. My buddy and i got the passanger side done, & the shop thats dynoing my car in the am I'm hoping will do the drivers side. I'll let u guys know what i think. Im extremely excited for EVERYTHING tomarrow, t/a in transformation to a like-new-car (I hope) lol
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Yall got me sold with the Koni's now. We get what we paid for. I'll be checking pricing and availability later today. Good post!!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Missed Sam today, tried reaching him late this evening. Took the advise on full soft on rear and two sweeps from soft on front. My buddy and i got the passanger side done, & the shop thats dynoing my car in the am I'm hoping will do the drivers side. I'll let u guys know what i think. Im extremely excited for EVERYTHING tomarrow, t/a in transformation to a like-new-car (I hope) lol
IMO, swap on of the regular upper mount bolts from the passenger side with the tork bit bolt that's under the brake master cylinder. That way you'll only have to loosen the brake master cylinder if you ever decide to put lowering springs on it in the future.

Quick Reply: Went with QA1 Shocks vs Koni