Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Went with QA1 Shocks vs Koni

Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went with QA1 Shocks vs Koni

Went to Summit today, the Konis I had purchased had been on back order for about a month, I decided to use the money to go with QA1 Adjustable Shocks instead. After speaking to several summit employers & their experiences, I felt I made a good decision, but I know this forum favors Koni. Are the QA1s good also? I got the ones that were for "road comfort & handleing" I hope someone tells me I made a decent decision. I spent just about as much for these as the Konis were. Any experiences? Differences from stock? I have 80k miles on my 00 t/a so the shocks are pretty bad in my opinion. Just trying to get some opinions from you guys, thanks in advanced
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

you do know sam keeps konis in stock right?... and last time i checked he had a pretty badass sale on them also
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Shoulda went with KONIs. I had QA1s for a while and They were okay over stock DeCarbons. The QA1s are no where near the same performance as KONIs. Strange makes a better shock than them(QA1) and is easier to get support or rebuilt if needed. BTW Im riding on STRANOs springs and SA KONIs. There is a reason KONIs are very popular on here.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

regardless of what they say QA1's will not perform anywhere near as well as Koni's for road racing applications. what springs are you going to use?

Last edited by therealcreeper; 03-15-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn man, you shoulda asked all these questions BEFORE buying the shocks!
Don't worry, Summit has a good return policy for when everyone on here talks you into sending your QA1's back and buying Koni's instead.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

You know, i saw this problem coming. I knew better, but had 10 people in my face telling me that Konis are great shocks, but these are just as good, i knew i was going to come home and regret it. Idk if i should try them out or not. This will be my first suspension mod for any of my cars so I'm not even to sure what to expect. As for springs. Those have to wait, I just dropped $3k on the motor. $750 on the AQ1s
Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Better late than never!
At least you posted before you installed them.

QA1's are good if your using you car mainly for drag racing, and Okay for street ride and handling. IMO, sent them back and at least get Bilsteins, Edelbrock IAS, or Koni SA's.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-15-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

You will likely only get one opinion on this board.. check around.

Nick
Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by garylisko
Went to Summit today, the Konis I had purchased had been on back order for about a month, I decided to use the money to go with QA1 Adjustable Shocks instead. After speaking to several summit employers & their experiences, I felt I made a good decision, but I know this forum favors Koni. Are the QA1s good also? I got the ones that were for "road comfort & handleing" I hope someone tells me I made a decent decision. I spent just about as much for these as the Konis were. Any experiences? Differences from stock? I have 80k miles on my 00 t/a so the shocks are pretty bad in my opinion. Just trying to get some opinions from you guys, thanks in advanced
Direct comparison:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/8344345-post26.html
QA1's and konis are polar opposites. I rode in my buddies SS with QA1's and it felt like a 90s buick, it floated and bounced all over and was never planted. Konis on otherwise stock suspension was like driving a super car in comparison. Incredibly planted, neutral in turns and so tight.

You'll see one opinion on here for the same reason you see one opinion on someone comparing a Corvette to a Cobalt... Talk to someone who has tried both, there is no comparison.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

FYI, I tried running both QA1 SA and DA front and rear on my car and I was never able to get it to ride and handle a good as any of the shocks I listed.

Been there, done that!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QA1s are a super soft, spongey shock that works well in drag applications. They are good for what they're good for but they're absolutely NOT a replacement for or even really comparable to a Koni. Apples to oranges.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

You went through all the trouble of searching for and buying the shocks... maybe you should throw them on the car and see what you think before you ship them back.

You see one opinion on here because anyone who has a different opinion is flamed, not because you are comparing a "corvette to a cobalt" as JD is so fond of saying.

Nick
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
You went through all the trouble of searching for and buying the shocks... maybe you should throw them on the car and see what you think before you ship them back.

You see one opinion on here because anyone who has a different opinion is flamed, not because you are comparing a "corvette to a cobalt" as JD is so fond of saying.

Nick
so why don't you post a more detailed opinion and reasoning?

who cares if you get flamed, its the internet.

People are going to encourage him not to put them on because if he doesn't like them then he made a $750 mistake.

I can't speak to QA1 other than what I have heard, but I have heard from just about everyone they are geared toward drag racing not corner carving. Furthermore, I have also been told the quality is shotty compared to other Drag Shocks such as strange.....

I can say from experience that I love my Koni shocks!

My OPINION

Drag (not what I am going for):
1) AFCO
2) Strange

Corner Carving:
1) Koni
2) SLP Bilstein
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Launching!

I can't comment on the QA1 setup but after driving a variety of setups and my Koni/Strano setup I wouldn't buy anything else. IMO, it is the pinnacle of overall handling and cornering suspension setups for our cars. However, if your goals are more towards straight-line traction there are better setups.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick
I totally get what you mean with things like wheels and some other stuff around here, but the design of two shocks that are nothing like each other is not really an opinion. It just is. There is nothing about a floaty, spongy shock that makes for a good handling car. I see the point you are trying to get across, but its sort of like if somebody were to be after Nitto NT-05 tires because they are into auto x and get the 555Rs instead because the NT-05s weren't in stock. The 555Rs are not inherently bad, but they aren't for the same application. Though like said above even if straight line traction is his goal there are better choices (especially for the money) than the QA1s

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-16-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Thank you guys for your help, I decided to Order the Koni 4/3s tonight & will be shipping the QA1s back to Summit tomarrow. Theres no point in spending $800 for the oposite of what i want, I'd have been better off with the stock shocks lol. I dont think Summit will be getting much business from me anymore, seems that lately (last 10-15 times i called) all they cared about is how much $ i had to spend, not so much guide in a good direction.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

Sam is in Brooke PA dude. And for the roads you drive on there you will be so much happier with the KONIs. What would have happened with the QA1s is after a short while going thru them lovely roads yall have they would have become very lazy-and your car would not be responsive to where you would like it to be. But dont let handeling fool you on the KONIs. I drag race to and still cut good short times with them. But have a great ride on any surface compared to the QA1s. I have recently upgraded to almost anything STRANO has to offer. HUGE difference. Anyone who has driven or taken a ride in my car wants that performance. But im a bit extreme on the whole package. Plus Sam Offers about the best support for any product he sells. He will not steer you wrong and sell you anything you dont need.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by garylisko
Thank you guys for your help, I decided to Order the Koni 4/3s tonight & will be shipping the QA1s back to Summit tomarrow. Theres no point in spending $800 for the oposite of what i want, I'd have been better off with the stock shocks lol. I dont think Summit will be getting much business from me anymore, seems that lately (last 10-15 times i called) all they cared about is how much $ i had to spend, not so much guide in a good direction.
you just hit on the biggest reason to go with Sam. He is an expert that will talk to you in detail, help you figure out YOUR goals for the car, and recommend what you need to get there. No more, no less. Others don't really know what they are talking about but are quick to tell you whatever gets them a sale. the people that get upset with Sam seem to be ones that are looking for someone to make them feel that the wrong choices will be OK. Sam doesn't do that.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nick
Have you been on both konis and QA1s?
You can tell they aren't the same shocks by any means, definitely an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:17 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Nick

as if anybody would take them back after they had been installed, used, and removed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Went with QA1 Shocks vs Koni