Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New BMR spring owners, I've got a couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I had the NEW bilsteins on the car for 3 days. It drove a whole lot nicer but it still bounced the off the stops just driving around. I am selling the car and all the stuff that was on it so I didn't really put them through the test. All I can say is that I had a pro kit on my z28 with a set of bilsteins for over 3 years and never hit the stops once...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is really odd. I always heard nothing but good things about the old 1" BMR springs.

I wonder if they will address the issue?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the new BMR springs/koni shocks. I will be putting them on sometime next week, and i will post up the pics..
Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep this thread updated guys. Im curious to hear more results.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Use good (read not junk, but also appropriately valved) shocks and there isn't a problem. You are fooling yourselves if you think you can keep these cars off the bumpstops. They hit the stops bone stock guys.

It's simple. The combination of spring rate, height, quality, teamed with shock valving is used to control how hard/fast/often you hit the stops. A well damped contact is a whole lot different than slamming into them.....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Use good (read not junk, but also appropriately valved) shocks and there isn't a problem. You are fooling yourselves if you think you can keep these cars off the bumpstops. They hit the stops bone stock guys.

It's simple. The combination of spring rate, height, quality, teamed with shock valving is used to control how hard/fast/often you hit the stops. A well damped contact is a whole lot different than slamming into them.....
These where my thoughts too but Im glad you clarified this. Anyways, it appears that the OP is using Bilstein shocks, which we all know are NOT designed for lowering spring applications.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Guys, I had the NEW bilsteins on the car for 3 days. It drove a whole lot nicer but it still bounced the off the stops just driving around. I am selling the car and all the stuff that was on it so I didn't really put them through the test. All I can say is that I had a pro kit on my z28 with a set of bilsteins for over 3 years and never hit the stops once...
Actually, you did.. all the time. It's just the shock valving you had (which was different than the current valving) better matched the different springs you had. It's a combination of both things that make things "better" with the previous setup. For all the abuse I get about Koni's--this is largely why I prefer to use them so often.

I don't doubt the ride was better, but it wasn't because you weren't contacting the bumpstops before. That's all I'm sayin'.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Staging Lane

Default Strano install (BMR)

EDIT: To clarify my previous post, my strano's were the same way as the BMR's in terms of installation. I could set the shock mount on top of the assembly and tighten down to spec without the need of compressing the spring (I did anyways, though). As far as your situation with bottoming out and overall terrible ride quality- I had the same problem on my first set of strano springs but my second set was waaaaay different than the first set. IDK? Somehow the first set I got must have got fucked up during manufacturing???? I think this put a bit of grievance between sam's view of me as a customer, but obviously I am happy with his service and prices since I chose to get ANOTHER set of strano's. Good luck with the setup!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My setup (NOT BMR/Strano) hits the bump stops all the time but it is tolerable because of the stiffness of the shock absorbers making it not as harsh as with a softer shock like a Bilstein HD. I was hitting the bump stops occasionally when stock, and I hit it more when lowered, and a LOT when lowered and on regular Bilstein HDs, but there's no way around that problem aside from making the shocks stiffer to avoid the suspension from compressing too fast. When you run a shock that is valved properly (read: stiff) for high-rate lowering springs, it stiffens the ride up and prevents the car from hitting the bump stops noticeably hard. Regular Bilstein HDs are not valved for lowering springs and do not have the proper internal bump stops for lowering springs. I went from 40k mile Bilstein HDs in the rear with Hyperco springs, to KYB AGX @ 7 with the same Hyperco springs, and there was a world of difference in terms of ride quality and not smacking the bump stops.

Originally Posted by rabbit320
i have the blue tokico's, and no im not dropping mad money on koni's.
There's your problem right there. You want the Ferrari, but only want to pay for a Geo Prizm. If I wanted cheap performance on that sort of budget, I would have bought a Honda Civic instead of a V6 F-body. My $0.02.

Last edited by ZexGX; 07-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: New BMR spring owners, I've got a couple of questions...