Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken KYB's. By broken I mean F#&KED

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Broken KYB's. By broken I mean F#&KED

So, I got some shocks from a friend of mine who was parting out his car. He ran off the road into a ditch into some small brush, it wasn't a large impact, but just enough to **** up his right door and front bumper up. So I figured I'd throw them on my car. He had KYB Gas-A-Just all the way around. So i put them all on... About 3 weeks later the weld at the very bottom of the shock broke. So I had one working shock.. I rode around on it for about a week, no joke I was gonna buy one Monday to replace it. I noticed tonight that the 2nd one broke too. I have no damn rear shocks. What kind of ******* welds are these things? How is this small little weld on the bottom supposed to hold the damn shock on. Anyone else have similar luck with these *******?

I'm gonna find a shock with a better connection on the bottom. And no I won't be buying Konis. Maybe some Bilsteins.

They are now both like this. You can see where that tiny *** weld broke.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

I heard kyb's didnt have that great build quality. How many miles were on them? Even still thats no excuse.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha uh oh...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have KYB GR-2 shocks on my car. You know, the cheap stock replacements. They're built much sturdier than that. Why the heck would they put crappy tiny welds on their higher end shocks and a fatter stronger weld on their cheap ones? That is weird.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I was going to go with some Bilstein HD's for $90/piece, but on Strano's site I saw the rear "Optional Single Adjustable Sport" Koni's for $109/piece. I dont ever recall seeing Koni's for that cheap... Plus WS6store is out of the Bilsteins for a few weeks.. The only difference I see are they are not on-car adjustable, which is fine with me.. So I'll KYB Gas-A-Just on the fronts, and Koni's on the rear. I'll be fine with that for the time being, my car won't be raced anytime soon (except maybe on the skreet on the weekends )
Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Well I was going to go with some Bilstein HD's for $90/piece, but on Strano's site I saw the rear "Optional Single Adjustable Sport" Koni's for $109/piece. I dont ever recall seeing Koni's for that cheap... Plus WS6store is out of the Bilsteins for a few weeks.. The only difference I see are they are not on-car adjustable, which is fine with me.. So I'll KYB Gas-A-Just on the fronts, and Koni's on the rear. I'll be fine with that for the time being, my car won't be raced anytime soon (except maybe on the skreet on the weekends )
I have the exact setup on my ride.. its not bad.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
I have the exact setup on my ride.. its not bad.
Gas-A-Just front and KONI SA rears? Interesting, I figured I'd be a loner lol. I figure it definitely won't be a bad ride. Anything's better than the old setup, and my lack of rear shocks right now!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was going to go with some Bilstein HD's for $90/piece, but on Strano's site I saw the rear "Optional Single Adjustable Sport" Koni's for $109/piece. I dont ever recall seeing Koni's for that cheap...
Neither do I, which is why I ended up with Sam's Bilsteins back then. I would hop on the SAs for that $19 difference in a heartbeat.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I just had kyb agx adj. put on about 3 weeks ago with bmr springs and i love them, set them at 6 out of 8 for stiffness all around. I would def recommend them for sum1 who doesnt have the funds for konis.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I've got the 4-way SA Koni rears that are on-car adjustable on the way. Anyone use these and got a favorite setting?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an extra gas-a-just front strut i could sell u if ur interested. only has a month use on it
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Welcome to the Club Hollo - I too had bought a pair of KYB adjustables for the front and only had like 5,000 miles on them before the driver side strut broke. That **** pissed me off so know i gotta wait for the konis to be back in stock. I sure as hell aint gonna buy me another KYB again after that type of Quality. As far as my KYB breaking, it was the piston rod on the top that broke.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

^yep. I'll never buy another KYB. Can't wait til these Koni's get here for the rear. Unfortunately I'll be riding KYB's up front for awhile. Later down the road, it'll get some Koni fronts.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

It does look like a tiny weld.. but, at the same time you said he put his car into a ditch..and I am sure that the shocks took a hit hit..
Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Run a car off the road, into the ditch, and the shock breaks.... now kybs are total POS and you will "never buy another one again". Wow.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^yep. I'll never buy another KYB. Can't wait til these Koni's get here for the rear. Unfortunately I'll be riding KYB's up front for awhile. Later down the road, it'll get some Koni fronts.
Yea thats what i said as well about upgrading to koni fronts, I am a student so money gets tight. I have the KYB AGX up front, not the gas-a-just. As far as the setting for the Koni rears, I got it set at middle (1click from full soft) and its still pretty stiff, but this is also a band new shock.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Run a car off the road, into the ditch, and the shock breaks.... now kybs are total POS and you will "never buy another one again". Wow.
I understand your point, but do you see how tiny the weld is on these cars to begin with? He wasn't even going fast. And the ditch wasn't huge, just a little runoff. I'm not saying it's impossible the shocks didn't get banged up.. BUT I know the scenario, I've seen where he ran off. I'm saying it BARELY would do anything to the REAR shock, if at all. The front's are holding up just fine, and guess what? that's where it was hit. The rears have puny welds.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Got my Koni's on today. They were the 3rd gen 4-way off-car adjustables. I left them on the softest setting. So far I love them. But anything would have been better than what I had really. Can't wait to get some nice Koni's up front, but those won't come too soon.. $$$

You can see where I tried welding this shock to get me by another week, but as you can see it didn't work for long.

Last edited by HoLLo; 07-01-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Just buy the konis and/or KYB. The bilstein aren't worth it. Their not an option, bilstein flunked. Had takeoff decarbons which were better.

Had installed Monroe sensatrack, under $300. Had to return them, complete crap. Will sell car later but even then weren't acceptable.
Installed the bilstein HD from summit in a hurry for $470, ouch. Sam was not in stock. Bilstein don't work either. My stock 2000 SS bounces everywhere. Sam said to buy KYB for their adjustability but latter claimed the bilstein rode better. I can't verify if KYB firmly set would have been stiffer.

Also bought and had to return Pep boys prostop ceramics. Would not stop car. Bought again Hawk HPS. very good.

Quick Reply: Broken KYB's. By broken I mean F#&KED