Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Track Day Video....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher
Nice videos. I can tell when that GT3 caught up to you, pushing it a little harder?
I was running pretty hard (but not at the limit) prior to that. But the lap before you'll see I caught traffic, which is how he caught me.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

This is pretty cool. I think I need to buy a 6 speed car!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I love the R6's. I found them very predictable. In fact the only issue I had was that very first lap of the last session when you see the car move. And frankly I didn't have any heat in the tires.

Then again I'm kind of a Hoosier guy, I run the A6 autoxing, and they have a nice contingency program so it keeps me in tires pretty well.
Don't get me wrong, I love Hoosier A6s, race on them every weekend in T-1; I tried the R6's for doing some Regional races, and I just can't do it..I prefer NT-01s over the R6s for similar longevity and a cheaper tire and to me, just a better feel

I forget, but it's either Goodyear or Dunlop who had a tire that outruns the R6 now, more grip, more longevity, and like $15 cheaper than the R6s. I haven't tried them yet though..
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sam,

What kind of steering wheel do you have in your car? Also, do you have any other modifications to your steering system?

Nice Video by the way
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 AM
wrencher

I was running pretty hard (but not at the limit) prior to that. But the lap before you'll see I caught traffic, which is how he caught me.
Definetely noticed that, would have been great if you guys had an open track.
Love it when a american car hangs & pulls on a big $$ car.

I like to keep them at bay for a while & then let them pass I see if I can get it back....
Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

are you heel and toeing? if so, stock pedal assembly?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Don't get me wrong, I love Hoosier A6s, race on them every weekend in T-1; I tried the R6's for doing some Regional races, and I just can't do it..I prefer NT-01s over the R6s for similar longevity and a cheaper tire and to me, just a better feel

I forget, but it's either Goodyear or Dunlop who had a tire that outruns the R6 now, more grip, more longevity, and like $15 cheaper than the R6s. I haven't tried them yet though..
If you want fast, and it's not super hot out.. try running A6's instead, the compound is much softer. Great for qualifying too. I wasn't after the fastest tire or I'd have run A6's instead. I wanted durable, and predictable and since I know how the car is on the A6/R6 construction I wasn't going to change.

I know that there is no way a Nitto NT-01 or Dunlop (presumably Direzza Star Spec) will keep up with an A6. Being that we see the Dunlops all the time autoxing. Maybe, I guess it's possible, the NT-01 can keep up with an R6.... But I got great wear, I mean they hardly look used after 1:20 of those kind of laps.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
Hey Sam,

What kind of steering wheel do you have in your car? Also, do you have any other modifications to your steering system?

Nice Video by the way

It's a Grant wheel/hub setup. One of the huge number of things I carry/sell but just don't manage to find time to get on the website. :/

No other steering systems mods. Just a factory PS cooler, Redline PS fluid.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mediocrels1
are you heel and toeing? if so, stock pedal assembly?
I heel and toe. Though there are different definitions of it. I keep my hell in the middle of the two pedals. Use the ball of foot on the brake, roll my ankle to blip the throttle. The pedals are stock. I have fairly wide feet though and can catch the throttle with the side of my foot/little toe.

The pedals would be better closer together. Someone used to make a bolt on plate for the throttle that had an ear on it to make heel/toe easier.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pedals would be better closer together. Someone used to make a bolt on plate for the throttle that had an ear on it to make heel/toe easier.
You mean one of these?

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/pedal.jpg

I now use it as a pattern. Wal-Mart sells nylon cutting boards that are about 1/4 thick. I trace it out, cut it with a hack saw, sand the edges and attach it to the stock pedal with 6 wood screws.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There you go...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Love this video, good driving Sam. You should bring that car over her to Europe and give it a try at Nürburgring Sitting her waiting for the snow to melt so I can get that Watts-link on..
Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not difficult to cut fast laps when you are basically running the track by yourself and the occasional slower cars hit their brakes and give you a point by.

Run in traffic and repost ...

[youtube]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iXyhPrzpi4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iXyhPrzpi4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/youtube]
Old 04-09-2010, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

God you are an ***. Ask Keith Orawiec if I can drive, we ran together.

And you know, back when you were doing track days (and sucking at autocrossing), you were singing a different tune. Then autocrossing was boring and nothing and track days were the thing to do.

I never said roadracing was easy, that's a different deal than a lapping day... I'm well aware of that. But here's some proof to show that I can drive, and the car is very well behaved and fast, and not that's not good enough either....

I'm sorry you hate me so much, but it's frankly gone beyond upsetting to me, and is now just amusing.

I really have spent far too much time arguing with you. So I'm going to stop now. And last I checked this was my thread, regarding my track day. I don't come into your threads and knock on you, I try to have a bit more class. If I see a wrong, I'll say it. But everytime we get in these scrapes it's you who gets your panties in a wad about something I do.....
Old 04-09-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man that looks like a lot of fun! Alot more than drag racing!

And I love that you hung with a Porsche in a freaking CAMARO!

And honestly, you have nothing to prove. I know everyone's natural instinct is to defend themselves in these kinds of situations, but really it's better to just not dignify them with a response. I see this happen in just about every thread you post, and frankly, it's getting old. I think people call you out because they know you're likely to respond. But who cares.....it's only the internet.

Anyway, just my .02.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is that a stock motor,gears and clutch in that car?

very nice driving.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
is that a stock motor,gears and clutch in that car?

very nice driving.
Engine is stock internally. StainlessWorks long tube headers, SLP lid, Fluidampr 10% underderive aluminum dampers, Aluminum flywheel and a upgraded clutch. Gears are stock 3.42's.

And thank you.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Uh oh. I think Sam's gonna catch the bug and move onto road racing Think of it.. what else have you got to prove in autox? I don't think there's anything you haven't done in autox. I'm putting money on Sam moving to road racing soon
Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be completely fair and honest, CMC and open tracking are NOT comparing apples to oranges, but rather trying to compare one specific apple species to another.

Even though road racing does take some serious b***s, CMC's usual configuration doesn't really make for something to be "streetable." Something like Sam Strano's (or mitch's former street car) open tracking is certainly a good combination for the street performace, AX, and lower level open tracking, but is certainly capable to push to the higher performance limits, but at a serious risk (to driver and just car alone).

I've not actually competed in any sort of "pony car" road racing in a popular open membership sanction, however I have in other much smaller "private" venues involving carts, subcompacts, and recently a racing-style prototype (not the Ultima). When you're having to do things door-to-door or something involving complete performance, a lot of things involving the interior as well as some suspension parts are going to have to give way for the name of peak safety and performance.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL ... you are soooo easy ....

You got the other "look at me" thread locked and I'm sure this one is doomed as well.

Look carefully at ALL my posts in both this thread and the Semi-Annual thread. I was civil, constructive and positive ... till you took the first shot.

Look at post #43 of this locked thread ...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...anation-2.html

You begin attempting to tear away at my credibility, taking shots, putting words in my mouth, making far reaching assumptions ... all the typical stuff you do to make others look bad, I guess in an attempt to make yourself look good. I'm no psychologist, but on the surface it does appear so.

All through that thread, when someone disagrees, you resort to name calling and foul language. And you tell me I need to grow up?

And what's funny, is that I never once down played your driving prowess, knowledge of suspension dynamics or the parts you offer. I only offered MY PERSONAL OPINION of what folks need vs what they get told.

But I am honored that you hold MY PERSONAL OPINION in such high regard that it requires multiple posts from in an attempt to discredit a single person's opinion. I take that as a compliment. Thank you for that respect. I'm doing much the same, here.

I respect you Sam. I hold your knowledge and ability in very high regard. It's the packaging that makes me throw up in mouth.

Ever watch the show on the History Channel called Madhouse? You remind me of one of the driver's profiled named Tim Brown. If you haven't watched the series, you should.

But everytime we get in these scrapes it's you who gets your panties in a wad about something I do.....
How have my panties been wadded?

People were posting their own vids, so I thought this was a sharing thread instead of the typical "look at me" thread. Oh wait ... I dont have any Strano-Stuff on my car. Now I get it ...

I guess I missed that bullet in the site FAQ ...

And here is a vid shot from my old street car several years ago in a DE ...

[youtube]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE-D3Y-OZ2s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KE-D3Y-OZ2s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/youtube]

Note: I didn't let any German manufactured car by ...

"Nice to have twice the horsepower" - "It is and at half the price."
Conversation between an M3 owner and me sitting on grid

Sam ... call me.

Last edited by mitchntx; 04-10-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Track Day Video....