Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best rear springs for drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the response, it would make them a tad stiffer wouldn't it? So that would be an actual advantage for the launch??
Yes it will make them a slightly higher spring rate.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99corvette
yeah i think its suppose to lower the rear about one inch
It actually closer to 1/2"-3/4" max drop doing the heater hose mod.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Wait wait wait. How can you say that you dont want the back end to squat? Im not callin you out I might learn something. I thought you wanted the front to lift and the rear to squat so you can get the weight to transfer to the rear wheels. If the back end lifts then it should make it harder to hook up because there is not as much weight transferred them as there would be if it squatted a little bit. correct?
I'm curiuos about this also, b/c I've heard differing opinions before...
Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes this is true girls squat race cars dont on a properly set up drag suspension the rear end should lift producing huge amounts of force on the rear tires by engine trq and pretty much slaming the tires into the ground using all of the weight of the car when the car squats u are transfering weight that is not being used because the soft suspension is soaking it up its just lost energy its sound *** backwards but its true and hard to figure out iv been messing with my susp for a year and still cant get it to wear i think it should be im just about to take it to somebody
Old 05-23-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by itsjustaSB
yes this is true girls squat race cars dont on a properly set up drag suspension the rear end should lift producing huge amounts of force on the rear tires by engine trq and pretty much slaming the tires into the ground using all of the weight of the car when the car squats u are transfering weight that is not being used because the soft suspension is soaking it up its just lost energy its sound *** backwards but its true and hard to figure out iv been messing with my susp for a year and still cant get it to wear i think it should be im just about to take it to somebody
Oh.. that makes sense kinda. I just had this question in another thread..
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answered before I got to it. The geometry of stock suspension on a full weight car is wrong for drag racing. Toss an aftermarket chassis mounted tq arm into the mix and it can be worse. Do a search on instant center. I have studied this and applied what I have learned. If you have an aftermarket tq arm and you can't adjust the front, i.e. Spohn, you are leaving a lot on the table with your 60'. This is assuming you are making the power to cut sub 1.50 60'. I had mounting brackets made so I could adjust my instant center. I went from a 1.52 60' to a 1.44 60'. I know that with a little shock adjustment 1.30's are around the corner. Post your susp setup itsjustaSB. I helped a fellow racer go from a best of 1.44 60' to a 1.31 60'.

Name:  051810racecar.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  102.8 KB

Last edited by 02 BLK WS6; 05-23-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

dont really want to hijack this guys thread ill pm u thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

dont really want to hijack this guys thread ill pm u thanks
That's fine. I just thought the OP would like to see suggestions. I was in your shoes not that long ago.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

im all about sharing info if no body else minds ill post
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Answered before I got to it. The geometry of stock suspension on a full weight car is wrong for drag racing. Toss an aftermarket chassis mounted tq arm into the mix and it can be worse. Do a search on instant center. I have studied this and applied what I have learned. If you have an aftermarket tq arm and you can't adjust the front, i.e. Spohn, you are leaving a lot on the table with your 60'. This is assuming you are making the power to cut sub 1.50 60'. I had mounting brackets made so I could adjust my instant center. I went from a 1.52 60' to a 1.44 60'. I know that with a little shock adjustment 1.30's are around the corner. Post your susp setup itsjustaSB. I helped a fellow racer go from a best of 1.44 60' to a 1.31 60'.

[IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/02blkws6/051810racecar.jpg/IMG]

So what type of setup would accomplish these type of results. I have SFC's, double adjustable LCA's and relocates, double adjustable panhard bar All UMI...I'm currently in the market for TQ arm and relocate, shocks, and springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

The more info and insights the better!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by venom 13
So what type of setup would accomplish these type of results. I have SFC's, double adjustable LCA's and relocates, double adjustable panhard bar All UMI...I'm currently in the market for TQ arm and relocate, shocks, and springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Check this thread out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...m-bracket.html
Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
For drag racing you don't want the back end to squat you want it to lift up. With a proper working suspension the space between the fender and the tire will increase when you launch, squatting just absorbs energy. With my Stranos and the rest of the car's suspension my car lifts properly on the launch but that's because the rest of the suspension is working right.
didn't know that. i was thinking you wanted the weight to be planted on the rear tires for traction and in turn it would squat. learn something new everyday.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

So basically is it the torque arm and the LCA angle that helps cause the rear end to slam down to the ground? I'm assuming the springs don't help it.. otherwise the rear end would be squatting.. right?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
didn't know that. i was thinking you wanted the weight to be planted on the rear tires for traction and in turn it would squat. learn something new everyday.
Yeah, generally that's what everybody thinks, I did myself until I truly understood how it works.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So basically is it the torque arm and the LCA angle that helps cause the rear end to slam down to the ground? I'm assuming the springs don't help it.. otherwise the rear end would be squatting.. right?

Here's a good explanation, this is taken from one of the sticky's in the drag section, alot of great info in there about launching a car:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...very-long.html

"Rear Springs

Stock Suspension Car:
Here is where things are different from a Stock Suspension car that uses the stock mounting points for the upper and lower control arms compared to a true 4-link car.

Rear springs should be a little stiffer for a drag car but many people think that the car should "squat" during the launch so they install softer rear springs on the car to accomplish this. The only cars that should be squatting during the launch are those cars that shock the tires very hard (4-speed cars) and with enough power where the car will overpower the tires. Prostock cars actually squat during launch because they develop enough torque and hit the tires so hard that the squatting helps absorb some of the shock and keeps from overpowering the tires. But, setting up the car to squat is not a function of the springs. It is the position of the Instant Center (IC) that determines how the car squats. The STOCK mounting points for the control arms already cause the car to squat which can unload the tires. So in order to compensate for this squatting the springs need to be stiff to transfer the force to the tires.
If the rear end squats that means that the rear springs/shocks are not pushing the rear tires into the ground. They are just compressing. For the most part you don't want the rear to squat because you want some resistance from the springs/shocks to transfer the force/weight to the tires."
Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Very good info Stealth I've been doing alot of reading on this in order to achieve a great drag setup!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

a lot of good info in here. keep it coming.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow. It's nice to have some advice in this section that is followed by reasons and explainations why. I didn't think people were capable of that in here. I think this thread is going to start a revolution

It's funny.. everyone just says stock springs are best for drag racing, but no one knows why. Either that or they expect that the car squatting is a good thing.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Thank you all for the great info!!!! I'm always open to some more input also.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Wow. It's nice to have some advice in this section that is followed by reasons and explainations why. I didn't think people were capable of that in here. I think this thread is going to start a revolution

It's funny.. everyone just says stock springs are best for drag racing, but no one knows why. Either that or they expect that the car squatting is a good thing.
Hello
Well we actually have good luck at the strip as well with the stock rear springs. They not only offer a good rate. But they also eliminate any clearance issues when running a DR or a slick. If you don't like the way the car sits (height wise in the rear) then I would suggest doing the hose mod. And I always suggest you need a set up that will allow the weight to transfer. And that is when a coil over set up will come into play. For Drag Racing I would highly recommend the R Series 275lb rate shock so you will need to use the 275lb spring. And a adjustable rear shock is highly recommended so when the weight transfers. It doesn't unload to fast and keeps the weight over the rear end. And keeps the tires planted as well.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Best rear springs for drag racing?