Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

looking to reduce body roll...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default looking to reduce body roll...

Well I recently installed the OEwheels ZR1 offset 17x9.5 and 17x11 with 315/35/17 on the rear. On hard cornering I can hear the tire rub but do not see it rubbing on the outside so im assuming its the inner fender area. Im looking to see what I can do IE swaybar, panhard bar etc to lessen the side load on the axle to eliminate or prevent as much body roll as im getting. My car is bone stock right now, and I may lower it and figure this will only make my issue worse. Or just use a BFH? Any help is appreciate, thanks...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First, do the "BFH Mod", then get an adjustable PHB.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:05 PM

BFH mod, and frame connectors and strut tower brace and pan hard bar also
Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thechef
BFH mod, and frame connectors and strut tower brace and pan hard bar also
I agree with BFH and PHB... I don't see what SFC's and STB will do to fix tire clearance in the rear
Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I agree with BFH and PHB... I don't see what SFC's and STB will do to fix tire clearance in the rear

I think because I want to rid body roll and it will limit chassis flex in that sense. The rims clear on the up and down stroke, its just the turning and proablly shot bushings in the rear.

Now I was looking around and was debating going all out and getting PHB, LCA's, Sway bars, SFC's, STB, Springs and shocks. Do I need to get adjustable panhard bar and control arms? I meen I can see the nescesity in drag racing and changing pinion angle and rear end alignment. But its centered right now as of my tapemeasure. Im looking to improve the overall handling of the car as its plenty of fast now and will be done with mods after intake, hot cam and tune is done.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes you need a adjustable PHB, but you don't need adjustable LCA's unless the rear end assembly is off center front-to-back, or you plan on running some large diameter drag racing tires.
I know UMI pre-sets there adjustable LCA to factory length, so you don't need to adjust them unless you need too. Myself I've never needed adjustable LCA's so I got a set of UMI non-adjustable LCA's with roto-joints on both ends.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as body roll is concerned, a good set of sways and shocks will make the largest difference. I've been really happy with my Koni 4/4's, they really woke up the handling and I'm still running stock springs. Strano sways are my next suspension upgrade!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Because the internet says it will.

At some point in time, you just give up ...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N20zuki
I think because I want to rid body roll and it will limit chassis flex in that sense. The rims clear on the up and down stroke, its just the turning and proablly shot bushings in the rear.

Now I was looking around and was debating going all out and getting PHB, LCA's, Sway bars, SFC's, STB, Springs and shocks. Do I need to get adjustable panhard bar and control arms? I meen I can see the nescesity in drag racing and changing pinion angle and rear end alignment. But its centered right now as of my tapemeasure. Im looking to improve the overall handling of the car as its plenty of fast now and will be done with mods after intake, hot cam and tune is done.
I'm going to mostly disagree with this idea again... Lets say you have an extreme (unrealistic) case where the front of the car is twisted one way and the rear is twisted the other way. Your rear springs are right near your rear fender.. how is chassis flex going to enhance the rear tire contact on your fenders in the back with the spring right there? Maybe it can... but I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that. SFC's have no direct effect on body roll whatsoever. Maybe they prevent the twist from happening when you have 500+ hp with slicks on the prepped strip..

SFC's tie the front subframe to the rear LCA chassis mounting point. Swaybars and springs can prevent body roll. Maybe the wider rear tires allow you to plant better around corners which has increased your roll rate which is why you notice it.

Either way.. BFH and PHB are probably your best bets so you allow your wheels clearance while you have a lot of body roll. Typically your tires rub on the outer or inner fender. Seems like most people have that type of clearance issues than upper fender clearance.

Quick Reply: looking to reduce body roll...