Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need pads, heard bad things about hawk hps

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
Perhaps they are more of a performance application than i had bargained for. I was told hawk pads do not dust much and of the 3 sets of pads ive had (delco, raybestos and hawk HPS) the hawk HPS dust the worst. I engine brake as much as possible so i dont have to clean my wheels so often.
You're comparing a performance pad with OEM-style pads.. night and day difference. Yes, the HPS's will dust worse than any of those..
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

I run EBC Redstuff and I think they are a great pad. The dust is about average but seems easier to clean. They stop spectacularly. They do squeal for about 500 miles or so but now they are quiet as can be. They have a brake in material that you have to work off.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

i have Hawks on my camaro and on my duramax and im loving them so far. oh and hawks are on all four corners on both of them
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I need some good new pads. A few friends have the hawk hps pads and they complain that they squeak bad and dust a lot as well. I see they advertise that they are quiet and they don't dust. My friends say the company flat out lies. Can you guys give me some input and/or other suggestions?
Is there any chance that the cause of the squeaking brakes are due to warped rotors, and not the pads? Unless they have new rotors as well, I guarantee that's the cause of the squeak. That's the issue I have with my car.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

The HPS don't seem to dust that bad to me.. but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put new Brembo Blanks rotors and EBC GreenStuff pads on and they were quiet until about 6 months ago... They are obnoxious now. I was thinking about switching to Hawk HPS pads... Not sure though, but something needs to be done.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many on the board I have Hawk pads. No problems here. They are a little dusty, but nothing major. I have found them to be a nice upgrade from the factory pads.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

because getting the information first hand, actually riding in the car with the product isnt as good of a source as joe blow on the internet.

Im the one he got the info from. I'm not going to contest anyone thats had a good experience. I have not. Perhaps they are more of a performance application than i had bargained for. I was told hawk pads do not dust much and of the 3 sets of pads ive had (delco, raybestos and hawk HPS) the hawk HPS dust the worst. I engine brake as much as possible so i dont have to clean my wheels so often.
There are many different kind of Hawk pads, and "dont dust much" is a matter of opinion.
I have had hawk HPS pads on my car for 10,000 to 15,000 miles, between normal driving and hard driving and have zero problems and IMO minimal dust for a performance pad (more than stock, but I had practically no dust from the stock pads, but also little stopping power).
Let me ask, did you break the pads in? If so, what did you do and for how many miles?

here's a video of my car taken during a track day, watch as i come out of hte burnout box. Granted, any brakes will dust at the track but i keep my car clean. This was not just built up over several hundred miles. Ive left my daily driver unwashed for 3 months and it still wasnt this bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7Rt3CSxgk
Good looking car but I don't see the point of the vid.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPS pads here for about two years and no noise. Drove from MI to NC and back and they held up great tearing through the mountains. Dusting is moderate but I wash it pretty regularly. Small price to pay for good braking.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the HPS pads! I did have EBC greenstuffs on the rear of my car for awhile, now those made dust! Now for the back though running whatever crap they will sell you at AA, see no point with how much braking the rear actually does to spend bigger bucks on rear pads.

Been running HPS pads for 4 years, I like them a lot. I just changed pads/rotors(Brembo blanks I had on were whipped!), but the pads I took off after 4 years still had about half life in them. Replaced with another set of HPS pads.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I run hawks hps on everything I run. even a 2000 Malibu I had. it stopped just fine and the dust isn't really that bad. just wash your car more often
Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I need some good new pads. A few friends have the hawk hps pads and they complain that they squeak bad and dust a lot as well. I see they advertise that they are quiet and they don't dust. My friends say the company flat out lies. Can you guys give me some input and/or other suggestions?
Go to Advance auto and buy the Ceramic Gold and don't look back.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

EBC Greenstuff!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone though 2 sets of Hawk HPS pads in the last 7 years on my T/A, never had any squealing and dust was moderate. The only thing these pads are bad at is track duty. Even after my CTS-V Brake upgrade i went with Hawk HPS pads.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought i would update you guys since this thread is still going.

I put the Hawk hps' on about 3 years ago and was initially disappointed because the stopping power was only slightly better than my worn oems to me.
I have come to like them however and would use them again.
The thing that put me over the edge into really liking them was when i took them to the road race track. They did not fade at all and took up all the abuse. The oem pads would have definitely gotten fried.

BTW, I did not have any issues with squeaking or excessive dusting.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow, 3 year update.......mine are great but dust way more then the pads they replaced......they stop better too. Win some, lose some. No noise though.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow this thread was three years old before being brought back!! Hawk HPS pads are still highly recommended.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

mine dust more than stock, definitely, but no squealing. An excellent overall pad.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...I engine brake as much as possible so i dont have to clean my wheels so often....
^^^^^I doubt you'll get much support on here for that being a good idea....

Relative to the pads you've used, the Hawks are going to dust more. They are a performance upgrade from the OEM pads. They are not something you install because you're looking for a reason not to wash the car as often. Not that there's anything wrong with that....the Hawks just aren't your best choice.

Quick Reply: Need pads, heard bad things about hawk hps