Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering alignment help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default steering alignment help please!!!

ok here is the problem.......... i had a new steering rack put in by a local shop, and after the install i took the car to get aligned. the alignment shop could not get the steering wheel centered while having the car properly aligned. what i'm saying is to center the steering wheel the alignment shop would've had to run the tie rod on my driver side completely out of thread on the tie rod end, while completely threading the tie rod on the passenger side. so, i had them align the car with the steering wheel of center. the car tracks perfectly, it just has the steering wheel off about 30 degrees. question: what could have caused this problem? and what do you guys think might be the best soulution for remedy? i really don't want to have to take the rack back out. i was thinking either rotate the steering linkage or rotate the steering wheel. i just don't know what type of rotational adjustment i can get out of either (does the wheel sit on a spline the can give me small increments of movement and the same question for the linkage and the same question for where the linkage goes into the steering rack) i thought the rack had a key way cut in so the rack can only be placed in one position. all help is much appreciated!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like whoever put the rack on the car didn't get the rack in the center of its travel, and correctly phased to the steering column, during the installation.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info. is there a way i can center the rack up now, without messing up the alignment. also i noticed with the wheels straight the numbers of turns to right lock is 1.25 turns while the number of turns to left lock is is just over 1 turn (definitly less than 1.25 turns). maybe the alignment shop doesn't have the rack centered afterall. i think i'm gonna try another alingment shop and see what they can do. what would you guys do?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do it right you need to disconect the steering column and count the turns lock to lock on the rack and find the middle. Then reattach the steering column with the wheel centered and have the alignment redone with the rack in the correct place