Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni warranty replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had my front right start going bad just recently, was lowered for about 4 months and have put 30 k on them since then. There are a quite a few discussions out there regarding them. Can't say I have really had any complaints till now.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Well im getting a bit flustered now, still no shocks. When i filed my claim in late April I was told by the koni warranty dept. that the shipment was due in from Holland May 28th. When I called after said date, they had no idea when the shocks will be in.

Called twice this week & left a message but no call back.

I never thought the process would take so long, kinda sucks. Vent done
Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Sam,
Can you elabrorate on the root cause of this problem and also your proposed fix?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Important point being it was only happening to the right shock on Greggy's car. On most cars its never an issue. The fact it kept happening to one side is pretty telling (after all the shock doesn't know what side it's on!).

Again, if you are a Strano Performance Parts customer, and have had an issue with a Koni adjuster breaking, just call me and I'll tell you how to fix it (it's easy and it's inexpensive).
Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

The root cause is a failure of the adjuster. I can't elaborate on the fix on a public forum, but any customer of mine is free to call me and I'll be happy to fill them in (it's not hard or expensive at all, in fact nothing I make a dime on--or even charge for).

I'd love to tell everyone, but finding this stuff out takes time and money, and I don't make a living giving away information for free, and when others buy their shocks other places this is kind of support they are missing. It's not punishment, it's me protecting my work.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The root cause is a failure of the adjuster. I can't elaborate on the fix on a public forum, but any customer of mine is free to call me and I'll be happy to fill them in (it's not hard or expensive at all, in fact nothing I make a dime on--or even charge for).

I'd love to tell everyone, but finding this stuff out takes time and money, and I don't make a living giving away information for free, and when others buy their shocks other places this is kind of support they are missing. It's not punishment, it's me protecting my work.
Fair enough.

Just to be safe, I might put a piece of electrical tape over the front adjuster on each side to protect it from water/salt/dirt. It would be nice to tear down one of these failed parts to see exactly what's going on.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, the root cause of failure is the adjuster. It wouldn't matter if the "secret fix" costs 0 cents! A warranty is a warranty. That's lame $900+ shocks need a "fix"

If a little "fix" is all they need perhaps koni should tell the customers how to do the "fix"....
Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
So, the root cause of failure is the adjuster. It wouldn't matter if the "secret fix" costs 0 cents! A warranty is a warranty. That's lame $900+ shocks need a "fix"

If a little "fix" is all they need perhaps koni should tell the customers how to do the "fix"....
If a little fix is all they need, Koni should be doing this *before* it gets to the customer. The warranty is great, except then you have cost to ship the failed shock back (I assume this isn't covered) and also down time.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Please, stop. Nothing mechanical is impervious to breaking. You think no car has had engine problems? The fact is the vast majority of the shocks have no issue, and you tend to only hear from some that do. The fact of the matter is that there could be no warranty, or a one-year warranty, or worse a stated warranty that nobody actually honors. None of those are the case here.

LS1's had oil-pump and valve spring issues. In fact many more so than Koni's have problems. My car blew up a power steering rack when it had but 1800 miles on it, and the clear coat started to bubble after about a year of sitting in a garage 70% of the time. Did that make me happy? No, but stuff like that happens, and happens far more than this issue.

Taping the adjuster is not going to help, it's an internal thing with the adjuster breaking inside.

I know what's going on. And as I've stated before, I'd be happy to fill in any customer of mine who has bought their Koni's from me, and what we can do to solve the issue.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hijack.
Is there a way to fix the rear adjuster without sending them away? I'm good with where they are right now, but can't experiment with the settings.
Konis repair shop will do it at cost, but want me to send them both rear shocks so they can make sure they're the same, I guess that means they want to rebuild it/them.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterV8
Koni won't honour my warranty because I took them out of the USA!
Called Koni here because the adjuster tab twisted off on one of my shocks & they refered me to one of their repair shops, apparently it happens quite a lot even though I found little evidence from doing a search, maybe people just stick with where they left them.
Anyway! still don't think they'll cover it under warranty.
So the warrenty goes poof for taking them to Eruo Land, where they were made?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
So the warrenty goes poof for taking them to Eruo Land, where they were made?
Yep! That's Koni USAs excuse! I still need to check if they'll cover it here, so far they just refered me to one of their shops to see if they can be fixed.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

dont get me wrong, i love the shocks when they are functioning properly. My gripe is waiting 2 months to fix an expensive issue &seemingly getting the runaround from koni like master v8. still waiting btw
Old 07-01-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There has to be a decent suspension shop in the UK who could help alternately?

Originally Posted by MasterV8
Sorry to hijack.
Is there a way to fix the rear adjuster without sending them away? I'm good with where they are right now, but can't experiment with the settings.
Konis repair shop will do it at cost, but want me to send them both rear shocks so they can make sure they're the same, I guess that means they want to rebuild it/them.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd braze or weld the damn tab back on myself if there was enough metal to attach the tab to, or it wouldn't damage the shock by doing so.
And even if I do send them to their shop to be repaired, they want both rears & I have to send them half way down the country, with a 3 week turn around.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a rental in the meantime, unless you can do a roadtrip and get them done while you wait... ;-)

Watch those damn speed cameras -- the Cornwall Constabulary got me on my last visit! :-( At least the English bloody know how to get our of the fast lane when someone wants to pass them -- Americans have no clue! The Italians will run you over on the Autostrada if you don't get the hell out of the fast lane! ;-)
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Ive had my Koni SA's for about 4-5 years and after the 2nd year the adjuster seized so they are stuck riding very firm on my car.

Quick Reply: Koni warranty replacement