Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Could this be causing my rear squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Could this be causing my rear squeaking?

Today I finally got a chance to replace my LCAs with UMIs tubular non-adjustable ones with poly bushings, hoping it would eliminate my rear suspension squeak / noise. Well, after greasing and replacing my new LCAs, the squeaking is still there. I also sprayed grease on the surface of some bushings, but to no advantage. So after replacing my shocks and LCAs, what else can be causing that noise? I lifted the rear axle but have no idea where the noise is coming from. It doesnt sound like its the PHB either. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know what this is called? Im not a suspension expert, but it looks kinda wasted, so i extra sprayed it with grease
Could that be causing the squeaking?
Attached Thumbnails Could this be causing my rear squeaking?-.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya might want to actually wash the parts BEFORE taking pictures so we can see it clearly...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's being outlined in the picture is a "sway bar endlink". The bushings on them can wear out over time, and can either be squeeking, or if really worn, can be crumbling and rattling around. In either case, replacing them isn't expensive or difficult, so I would give it a try.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. Im gonna go ahead and buy a pair of these. I saw theyre like twenty bucks at autozone for the energy suspension ones. Hopefully, this stops the rear squeaking, and later on, ill buy the whole swaybar kit.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

lol...I don't know what you are spraying on there, but it looks like a bad idea. The part you have marked with the arrow, swaybar endlink, doesn't need lube. And the way you are just spraying everything is just going to pick up dirt and grime and make things worse. While you are picking up new replacement parts, you might want to add a pair of bump stops. this one is totally gone.

Last edited by HavATampa; 05-31-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

maybe sway bar bushings........but never end links
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
maybe sway bar bushings........but never end links
"never end links" what... you kinda lost me there. Could the swaybar bushings be causing the noise? If so, i might just end up waiting a couple weeks to get a new sway bar then.

havAtampa, thanks for the advice. Ill definately get bump stops too. And im spraying a can of white lithium grease i found in our garage
Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Holly crap, you're right! ;-) Mine had to be replaced when I had my '95 Camaro -- deterioration with age...

Definitely replace those!

Originally Posted by HavATampa
While you are picking up new replacement parts, you might want to add a pair of bump stops. this one is totally gone.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

HUH? White Lithium is for metal on metal mostly like your door hinge squeeks -- NOT rubber -- did you read the can? For rubber or poly you might be able to use silicone spray, but others have said you shouldn't need it.

As long as you're picking random lubricants, why not just try some:

Originally Posted by Zlow28
"never end links" what... you kinda lost me there. Could the swaybar bushings be causing the noise? If so, i might just end up waiting a couple weeks to get a new sway bar then.

havAtampa, thanks for the advice. Ill definately get bump stops too. And im spraying a can of white lithium grease i found in our garage
Old 06-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get bumpstops off of a third gen in the junkyard. Theirs were made out of a hard rubber instead of the soft foam 4th gens have.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Theres very few junkyards around where i live, and i doubt theyre gonna have any f-bodys let alone 3rd gens. I might just get some from autozone. They have energy suspension ones for like 15 or 20 bucks.
What exactly do bump stops do?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Look at where it is on the car and what might bump it, and think about the name, and I bet you will uncover the answer without anyone telling you...

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Theres very few junkyards around where i live, and i doubt theyre gonna have any f-bodys let alone 3rd gens. I might just get some from autozone. They have energy suspension ones for like 15 or 20 bucks.
What exactly do bump stops do?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Or better yet, get some poly ones, which won't deteriorate like OEM ones:
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...newgm-1-1.aspx

Notice they are the same height as the discontinued OEM one:

Originally Posted by Average_Joe
Get bumpstops off of a third gen in the junkyard. Theirs were made out of a hard rubber instead of the soft foam 4th gens have.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-27-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Could this be causing my rear squeaking?