Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why Konis Instead of Full Coilover Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb Why Konis Instead of Full Coilover Setup?

As was asked in the Bistein thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/12881592-post33.html, Why get Konis Instead of Full Coilover Setup? Why doesn't Strano sell any Full Coilover Setups? Yes you could argue that there is a coil-over the shocks on Camaros, but I mean the integrated setups.

What are the advantages and disadvantages? I assume better control with an integrated setup, no?

Let's keep the edumacation going...
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In essence, the stock 4th gen front end IS a "coil over" set up, just not with the smaller OD, "race" coil over springs. In the rear, since I'm more of a "nuts and bolts" guy, I would assume that the factory designed the floorpan to be strong in the spring area, to deal with suspension loads, and possibly not as stiff at the shock mounting points, due to less loading.

FWIW, Doug Rippe Motorsports was selling a rear coil over set-up back in the mid 90s.....
Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a full coilover setup like KW's cost more than a koni Double adj, and springs. it would be comparable if not the same as getting koni's and say ground control coilovers.

I have SLP shocks with B&G springs which are 1.4" drop. and i like the ride, its pretty comfy givin the road quality. I was hoping that B&G would have made a coilover setup like they do for the GTO and Cobalts. where in the rear the shock and spring are seperate but still adjustable. but they never did. i think it would have sold pretty damn good personally.

n e ways i got slps in front and rear and with the b&g springs and i have no complaints. i'll eventually opt for the Koni's DD later on. so i can have more adjustment.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
As was asked in the Bistein thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/12881592-post33.html, Why get Konis Instead of Full Coilover Setup? Why doesn't Strano sell any Full Coilover Setups? Yes you could argue that there is a coil-over the shocks on Camaros, but I mean the integrated setups.

What are the advantages and disadvantages? I assume better control with an integrated setup, no?

Let's keep the edumacation going...
Sam technically does run a "coil over" in the front. Its a custom setup using konis and his own spring rates.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html

Advantages are:
You get to choose your height and sometimes spring rates

Disadvantages are:
You get to choose your height and sometimes spring rates (and possibly mess everything up )
You need an alignment every time you change the ride height.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll also drop a little weight off the front going to 2.5"ID coilover springs.

Quick Reply: Why Konis Instead of Full Coilover Setup?