Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car wont hook!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont hook!

Besides the stuff in my signature I have UMI subframe connectors, LCA's and panhard bar. I have my tires at 16lb psi and even after getting them really hot it will only hook every once in awhile. The *** end rolls to the left pretty bad. HELP!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is this on public roads? you might need some VHT.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you still have stock shocks? If so how many miles are on them? Do you have your rear sway bar installed? Car lowered?

Let me know and I am glad to help.

Ryan
Old 07-02-2010, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I assume you still have stock shocks? If so how many miles are on them? Do you have your rear sway bar installed? Car lowered?

Let me know and I am glad to help.

Ryan
I have 75000 miles on the car. Not sure how many are on the shocks as I bought the car used. No I don't have a sway bar and it is not lowered.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Well not having a sway bar on the vehicle will not distribute the weight throughout the rear end. That is why its kicking the rear out. And I also noticed you are running a set of M/T Street Radials. Another thing to keep in mind they aren't a slick compound. Radial like air pressure I run mine around 26lbs and it seems to hook fine. So I would also suggest play with tire pressure and see what works well for your set up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tg580
I have 75000 miles on the car. Not sure how many are on the shocks as I bought the car used. No I don't have a sway bar and it is not lowered.
So you're saying you removed both swaybars? The front I could understand, but why would you remove the rear? Or am I reading it wrong.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redz_02
So you're saying you removed both swaybars? The front I could understand, but why would you remove the rear? Or am I reading it wrong.
You're reading it wrong. i don't have an aftermarket sway bar.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Well not having a sway bar on the vehicle will not distribute the weight throughout the rear end. That is why its kicking the rear out. And I also noticed you are running a set of M/T Street Radials. Another thing to keep in mind they aren't a slick compound. Radial like air pressure I run mine around 26lbs and it seems to hook fine. So I would also suggest play with tire pressure and see what works well for your set up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
I originally had the car at max tire pressure. I then went to 28lbs, then to 24 pounds then to 16lbs. It hooks hard every once in awhile but mostly spins like hell.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tg580
You're reading it wrong. i don't have an aftermarket sway bar.
I thought you meant no rear sway bar at all. So the car has the stock sway bar installed?

A simple and inexpensive idea that would help greatly is a set of relocation brackets. The brackets help to plant the tires harder into the ground and are a great item for traction for under $100. Just a suggestion. Worn out shocks can contribute a little as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

I have relocation brackets i just brought recently and before i installed them i was wondering how is it supposed to sit? Does front sit higher or is the rear of the bar supposed to be higher?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Animal323
I have relocation brackets i just brought recently and before i installed them i was wondering how is it supposed to sit? Does front sit higher or is the rear of the bar supposed to be higher?
Hello,

The relocation brackets are designed to lower the rear of the control arm, making the control arm higher in the front. If you have a lowered car the brackets are designed to level the control arm or have it slightly lower in the rear. If you look at the pictures in the below link they will help you install them.

www.umiperformance.com/2012

Hope that helps!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thanks
Brad
I get a much better launch too with more than 21psi (on temperature sensitive street tires). under 21 PSi and i loose traction.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Before spending another dime, find a deserted section of road with relatively rough surface and incinerate those Mickeys into a smoke show. Then see how you hook.

I've found that the surface of the tires tends to harden after they sit around unused for a while. I'd go to the track and they'd spin without smoking when I attempted to burn out, and then fail to hook. Changing tire pressure didn't help. Now I make sure to go down to this closed road nearby and go to work every time before I go to the track ...

Quick Reply: Car wont hook!