Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel vs. Trans mount Torque Arm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunnel vs. Trans mount Torque Arm?

Hey everyone, I have a Midwest Fab 9 being built and was curious if anyone had pics of their torque arms? I love the lowered look of a camaro and am currently running strano springs and might go a little lower so BEST clearance is the key for my setup. My options are tunnel mount torque arm or a transmission mount torq arm setup ( the type that moves the mounting point from the tranny tailshaft to the tranny mount).
I am currently running TSP true duals but will be going back to a 3" y-pipe setup. My clearance sucks in my opinion.

What would you prefer? Pictures to determine clearance issues would be GREAT!

thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
What I would suggest seeing how you are worried about clearance issues. Is going with a full length adjustable torque arm with a relocation cross member to get the arm off of the rear of the transmission. It will eliminate any issues with possible breaking the mounting point on the tail shaft but it has multiple mounting points to allow you to adjust your instant center as well. Below is a link to show you what type of clearance you will have at the bottom of the link in the installation pics. As far as ground clearance goes you will have a issue with your exhaust before you have any with our suspension parts due to we manufacture everything to factory specs.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...lcnssleql3df50

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
Hey everyone, I have a Midwest Fab 9 being built and was curious if anyone had pics of their torque arms? I love the lowered look of a camaro and am currently running strano springs and might go a little lower so BEST clearance is the key for my setup. My options are tunnel mount torque arm or a transmission mount torq arm setup ( the type that moves the mounting point from the tranny tailshaft to the tranny mount).
I am currently running TSP true duals but will be going back to a 3" y-pipe setup. My clearance sucks in my opinion.

What would you prefer? Pictures to determine clearance issues would be GREAT!

thanks!
We recommend a full length torque arm with transmission relocation crossmember. Because these fit in the OE location, all aftermarket exhausts will clear them and there is no aftermarket crossmember to decrease ground clearance or create exhaust issues.. Strength-wise, I wouldn't be concerned as we have plenty of customers running 9's with this setup and even one in the 8's!

One thing to keep in mind (and this goes for all brands and models of torque arms) is that a low 4th gen F-Body coupled with a 9" and aftermarket torque arm will require some rear tunnel clearancing. The larger ring gear diameter of the 9" positions the torque arm towards the driver's side up to 3/4". This combined with the larger torque arm brackets will cause clearance issues with the floorpan when the car is low. I am not trying to be pessimistic, just making you aware of some of the compatability issues. To minimize the amount of clearancing necessary, make sure that your rear end is properly centered in the car to begin with. If you don't already have one, an adjustable panhard rod can be used to properly center the rearend.

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go 4" on the exhaust, and that is a good question on which torque arm! I didnt realize they came with either one. Damn, do i want a Fab9!!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to go with a yippee setup that has a 4" merge. Will the torque arm bracket clear this?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
I want to go with a yippee setup that has a 4" merge. Will the torque arm bracket clear this?
Hello
Like mentioned above seeing how it is a 4" merge. You will not have any issues using a Relocation cross member. But if you are looking for more along the lines of a tunnel mounted version. I would suggest going with our part # 2202 we just redesigned our cross-members to allow more clearance for the bigger merge collectors. But anymore the new Y pipes are getting nice because you can tweak them a little to the position needed and then tighten the band clamps up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dbmtbksn68tsi5

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dbmtbksn68tsi5
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A better question besides clearance, is what do you plan on doing with the car? Each of the torque arm designs have slightly different performance characteristics.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will very rarely drag the car, but it is geared more towards handling(pro touring style) especially since its a daily driver. Future plans for a turbo setup, highway mostly.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the midwest 9, you will get a torque arm with the rearend. their rears are made for their torque arms. the longer torque arm will be quieter and will handle better as well. the tunnel mounted is better for drag racing in general.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys any more detailed explanations of why each are better would be great. Im already settled on the longer arm, but physics and mechanics of why they work is cool to know.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shorter arm transfers better and plants the tires. If you're planning to drag it occasionally and going to make over 600hp, I'd go with the long one. With the short one, you'll be more prone to pulling the front tires at that power level.

Also, if you plan on swapping transmissions (ie m6 to 80 or 60 to 80), you may want the tunnel one. It doesn't matter what transmission mount you have or change to, it'll always work. ... (I'm sure if you needed to swap mounts out due to tranny swap, that Eric would swap yours out for a small price though.) Aaaand, with the short one, you get the drive shaft loop for free.

Just talk to Eric and he'll give you the run down on what you want. I, personally, would like to try out a long one to see how much of a noise difference it is.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

I have a midwest chassic tunnel mount torque arm. Nice piece but haven't installed yet. I purchased because I want to run a 4L80E, but I think I can run almost any trans with the torque arm relocated off the tranny.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any pics of the midwest chassis long torque arm setup?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

obviously these guys from the suspension manufacturers are just scanning threads and making sales pitch bs and don't know whats on the market. the op says "i have a MWC 9 inch on order" which means he is getting the best floor/tunnel clearing, lightest, and strongest design torque arm on the market for a bolt-in 9 inch. either the long arm or the short arm design we offer with the package will clear better than any of the other designs that will hit the floor at stock ride height with the other type of 9 inch rearend.

regardless of the matter, if you lower the car far enough, something will have interference at some point. it is proven the lowered suspension cars don't work as well for traction for your average street/strip cars so one has to determine what they really want from the car. usually looks and best performance are on opposite sides of the spectrum, but the whole scenario is a suspension geometry and center of gravity thing and i don't have time to get into all that. also keep in mind what works for one car may not necessarily work for the other.

here's a pic of one of the short arm designs we offer with a 4 inch merge system and the short arm. we have a few different ones to choose from including one for the TSP duals with a short arm.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

No pics, car is in pieces as we speak. I'm a true consumer and have no ties to any automotive manufacturer
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@ssvert99 thanks for the pictures, do you have pictures of the long torque arm for a y-pipe setup and also tsp true duals?
My car is more geared towards daily driver/looks/auto-cross. What type of torque arm would you suggest in my case?

Quick Reply: Tunnel vs. Trans mount Torque Arm?