Bolt in or weld in ?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
2002 ss hardtop

How noticeable are they?

Bolt in or weld in ?
You should wait to hear customer opinions but I will tell you now that they make a very noticeable improvement in the way your car feels. While not near as "loose" as the 3rd gen cars, the 4th gen still needs help when it come to controlling chassis flex. A set of subframe connectors alone will allow your suspension to work much more efficiently, in fact, I wouldn't even perform any type of suspension mod before doing subframe connectors.

As for weld-in or bolt-in we recommend weld-in. On a component designed to stiffen a chassis, the connection is critical. Bolt holes tend to elongate over time due to the constant chassis load so eventually the car gets "loose" again. That doesn't happen when welding them in....

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big difference, its hard to describe the feeling of it though. You will notice more road noise but I don't mind that much. I have had the ones that go by the rails and double diamond and didn't notice a difference between the two, but I don't drive my car very hard.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go 3 pt., weld them. Very noticeable on both a 'vert. and T-Top Coupe with rigidity over bad roads, power transfer and around turns.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree as to the above. But, buy the bolt on units and then weld them if you want. This way the units are held tightly and correctly in place before welding and without any hassles holding the work with welding clamps, etc.

I installed the UMI 3 piece units. I was going to weld them to insure rigidity. But after installation, I could not see how they would loosen. I mean the connections appear to be so trustworthy, that it would be like welding a body on a frame and body constructed car such as a pick up or a Crown Vic, etc. Its unecessary and a waste of time.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah, the best rigidity is welded.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above when you install a set of aftermarket SFC's. Either bolt on or weld on applications you will notice a huge difference in the overall feeling in the vehicle. They also help with keeping body damage off or the panels such as dimples on the quarter panels and help with T Top leaks and Squeaks as well. We offer 2 versions we offer a 3pt and a 2pt SFC. The 3 point ties all 3 weak locations of the chassis together for maximum strength for higher hp vehicles or race cars. And our 2 pt SFC's will also provide protection to your vehicle as well. Either a Hardtop, Convertible, T Top we manufactured them to tuck up very well against the frame rail so if you have any clearance issues. You will have them with the exhaust before you have them with the SFC's. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer for SFC's.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ljnn8ct4gdre47

If you or anyone has any questions about our products feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad