Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What size are the brake line fittings on the rear axle hard lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question What size are the brake line fittings on the rear axle hard lines?

The car is a 98 SS. I'm talking about the 2 hard lines on the rear axle that go to each caliper and join up in the middle at a 3-way block (one way is a soft line leading that joins up with the line on the underside of the floorpan). The 2 hard lines that join up at that little block, I cannot remove. I have line wrenches, and 11MM is too big, 10MM is too small. 3/8" is too small, 7/16" is too big. WTF?

I've already started rounding off the fittings using an 11MM wrench. I have no idea what size they could be. There is quite a bit of play with the 11MM.

What is even weirder, is that I am swapping in a different rear end. I checked those same lines on the replacement rear and they are definitely 11MM, no slack at all, they easily came undone with the same 11MM line wrench.

*boggle* Did some cars have some sort of intermediate size like....13/32" or something? Any ideas on getting these lines off? At this point I just need to remove them one way or the other, I'll swap over the hard lines from the replacement rear. I just can't get them off because nothing fits them.

Dope

Quick Reply: What size are the brake line fittings on the rear axle hard lines?