Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need to upgrade suspension, first step?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for fun I will throw my 2 cents in.

I would think that in general it is a good idea to start with what is the weakest part of the stock suspension... the shocks. In fact, when I bought my Formula the first mod was a set of Koni SA shocks. I had a set of Bilstein HD's on my 2000 V6 before that so I was already aware of how much better the car is with decent dampers. The reason I put Koni's on the Formula actually had a little more to do with the ability to lower the front a bit while retaining stock springs than the adjustability. However I did find myself messing around with the adjustment a bit. Either way, your car will feel more responsive and will inspire more confidence even on the street. The ride quality is still very good on stock springs. Granted, if you set the Koni's "wrong" they can get pretty harsh. In my experience with stock springs, wheels, and rear axle the Koni's need to stay closer to the softer range of the adjustment. I disagree about the Bilstein's feeling any better than properly adjusted Koni's. However, they do ride a lot nicer than Koni's set too firm for the application. If you don't have the budget for Koni's and are keeping stock rate springs, then Bilsteins are a great shock.

The next thing I would do would be to either pick up a used 32mm front bar if you want to do suspension on the cheap, or a set of Strano's sway bars if you are willing to spend a bit more money. I bought a 32mm front bar way back when for my V6 for $50 new, but that was several years ago. I have Strano's bars on the Formula. There are other sway bar options out there too... The most important thing would be to avoid going too big for the rear bar.

Another inexpensive thing is to get a set of Moog 1LE style LCA bushings to switch out the stock style rubber bushings. Avoid poly LCA bushing's for the street. I would also avoid rod ends for the street.

For a street car I think stock springs are pretty decent. However, if you want a drop or for more of a competition oriented spring rate go ahead and replace the springs.

I don't think it is worth replacing the Panhard with an aftermarket unit on a street car unless your goal is to recenter the axle after lowering. I have a Watts link on my Formula. I tend to think of it as more of a completion to the suspension mod versus anything to be thinking of when you are starting off. It isn't cheap and the above should be fixed first.

I don't really think you ever need an STB, or even SFC's for that matter. But if you want to dress up your engine bay with a towel rack, or add new jacking rails to the side of the car then go for it.

Some of the above is moot as you have already ordered parts. I suppose everyone has their opinions. I have been driving 4th gens for more than 10 yrs now. Don't have the racing cred as some of the posters in this thread, but I have a lot of street miles on modded cars.

And one last thing. Don't forget a decent set of tires, or a decent set of brake pads. Oh, and don't put slotted or drilled rotors on your car
Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all

thansk HAZ-MAtt, your post/info avtually ended up helping. I have yet to make my purchase bc i just entered my freshmen year in college, but I just went back to edit all my plans for this summer that i have lined up for my car, and re-read this post figuring out what I want to get

To everyone who helped me with my suspension decision = THANK YOU

I have decided on two different options (it depends on my $ basically)

-bilstein HD shock set
-strano hollow sway 32/22
total around 800$

or

-strano 1.2inch lowering springs
-Koni 4/4 SA
(possibly strano hollow sway 32/22)
total around 1100 w/out sway, 1500 with)

Ill let you know when I actually make my decision. Most likely the cheaper one since i live in a very hilly area where my car scrapes as is, and if I plan to do dumped true duals I heard they hang pretty low as it is.

Strano i will be purchasing all of my suspension parts from you, thanks for the help! Ill be sure to recommend your business to all

happy modding
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
thansk HAZ-MAtt, your post/info avtually ended up helping. I have yet to make my purchase bc i just entered my freshmen year in college, but I just went back to edit all my plans for this summer that i have lined up for my car, and re-read this post figuring out what I want to get

To everyone who helped me with my suspension decision = THANK YOU

I have decided on two different options (it depends on my $ basically)

-bilstein HD shock set
-strano hollow sway 32/22
total around 800$

or

-strano 1.2inch lowering springs
-Koni 4/4 SA
(possibly strano hollow sway 32/22)
total around 1100 w/out sway, 1500 with)

Ill let you know when I actually make my decision. Most likely the cheaper one since i live in a very hilly area where my car scrapes as is, and if I plan to do dumped true duals I heard they hang pretty low as it is.

Strano i will be purchasing all of my suspension parts from you, thanks for the help! Ill be sure to recommend your business to all

happy modding

Did you consider the Koni's and stock springs with the swaybars? Just another option.... Don't need to have lowering springs to see the benefit of increased rebound control on the car's behavior.

Personally if you don't want to lower the car I think option 1 you listed is very workable. Option 2 is also a good choice, but it does cost more (and gives you more flexibility). But don't think you need springs to make use of Koni's. And you can add swaybars any time down the road.

Shocks are the foundation that a working suspension is built on. If you can do it, I'd rather see you take your $800 odd bucks and put it toward Koni's first (even though that might mean I lose a sale on the bars or springs) and see what you think. That way you get the best dampers you can, and if I only could change one thing ever on a stock F-body suspension--it'd be the shocks. From there you can see what you think and if you determine you'd like bars you can add them down the road.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Won't he need an adjustable pan hard bar or can you get away without one?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Not a terrible idea... but not required, even more the case if he's not running larger wheels/tires. Again, it's one of those things that's easily added at any time should it be needed. It's often said you need it (as in have to have it) because it's never a bad idea--but it's also a kind of easy sell. I don't even add them automatically to my handling packages because most cars don't end up all askew with stock bars. If they do, then we know we need one, and we'll add it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 AM
8 Second Club

Hey guys...What would be the best setup for the track...I have a 98 Z28 M6 with bolt ons...stock suspension and stock rear-end...What would be the best route to take far as purchasing suspension mods in order of most effective for launch and control..??? Its a street car but im more focused on performance than ride quality..Not auto cross but 1/4 mile racing...Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Need to upgrade suspension, first step?