Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
Just adding some more info here. When I get this job complete I'll make a nice pretty thread

Looks like the hub size on the 2010 SS Camaro is 67.1mm compared to the 70.5mm on the 4th gen Camaros. So the rotors will not fit without having the center bored out a bit. I'm thinking I will just pick up a set of Z06 rotors instead of getting a machine shop to bore these out.
I think that would make much more sense. The Z06 rotors are the correct bolt pattern, fit the hubs perfectly, have a close offset to our stock rotors, and they are still 14" in diameter. They are also very affordable from GMPD.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exclamation

18" requires some recalibration with the PCM, right, no F-Body ever came with bigger than 17" wheels, AFAIK. I think you will also have some other issues, are you doing anything to address the bigger wheels than stock?

I stopped by the local dealership to get a price and they quoted me like $380 or something a side. So I am very skeptical about the GMPartsDirect price. I also found that a lot of people complain about their customer support and shipping times/prices.. Oh what the hell, I will place an order right now and see what happens. Just got my 18" C6 Z06 wheels installed last night so I gotta fill all that space
Old 08-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need to recalibrate for your speedometer being off if you want but that's all. A few people have had problems whith there ABS but I think this is from a miss match of the front and rear wheel diameters being to large.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the V and SS calipers are identical. Also, why would you need to recalibrate anything for a bigger wheel? You just get a lower profile tire so that the overall height matches stock.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

I'm going back and forth on the SS rotors vs. the Z06 rotors. On the one hand, I would have to get a machine shop to hone out the center bore a few mm to get the rotor to fit, but on the other hand I already own the ss rotors and I don't have to buy and wait for the Z06 ones to show up. I guess another deciding factor would be if the offset is different on the SS rotors vs. the Z06. Maybe I wouldn't need to do the (2) washer trick? Or maybe the offset is worse... Who knows at this point

Does anyone have any hard numbers on the offset of either of these rotors? Also the lug holes are larger on the SS rotors, but they are hub centric and my car is not front wheel drive so does it really matter?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
18" requires some recalibration with the PCM, right, no F-Body ever came with bigger than 17" wheels, AFAIK. I think you will also have some other issues, are you doing anything to address the bigger wheels than stock?
No you don't. Lower profile tire to keep the same rolling diameter and there is no problem.

Originally Posted by 08 848
You will need to recalibrate for your speedometer being off if you want but that's all. A few people have had problems whith there ABS but I think this is from a miss match of the front and rear wheel diameters being to large.
Only if you change your overall rolling diameter due to a poor tire selection.

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
I'm pretty sure the V and SS calipers are identical. Also, why would you need to recalibrate anything for a bigger wheel? You just get a lower profile tire so that the overall height matches stock.
I think they are very similar as well. And agree with the lower profile tire. That is what I did when I upgraded to my 18" wheels. Lower profile tire to keep my overall rolling diameter of the tire. And no issues on my car. Been DD'd in the warmer months for almost 3 years now.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Warehouse guy at work just let me know my package showed up! I've been wondering if I was going to get a set of calipers with the stick on wheel weights or the roller skates attached the pads. Well... Looks like I got a set with the roller skates So it's either buy some new pads or cut off the weights. Probably just going to cut the weights off

Will try and get some pics tonight.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Subscribing
Old 08-04-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Question Wtf?

Warehouse guy at work just let me know my package showed up! I've been wondering if I was going to get a set of calipers with the stick on wheel weights or the roller skates attached the pads. Well... Looks like I got a set with the roller skates So it's either buy some new pads or cut off the weights. Probably just going to cut the weights off

Will try and get some pics tonight.
You lost me.
Roller skates??? This some new street term i'm not up on? LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98PurpleT/A
You lost me.
Roller skates??? This some new street term i'm not up on? LOL
Heh yeah it's a new term for me too! I picked up the term from the Camaro5 guys talking about the caliper weights that they are putting on the new Camaros to try and eliminate brake squeal.

I know you guys have all see the brakes on the new Camaro but I said I would post pics so here they are. See if you can spot the "roller skates"
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?-small1.jpg   2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?-small2.jpg   2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?-small3.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

If anyone is curious about the weights, here is a very long thread :

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=19161&page=1
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Heh yeah it's a new term for me too! I picked up the term from the Camaro5 guys talking about the caliper weights that they are putting on the new Camaros to try and eliminate brake squeal.

I know you guys have all see the brakes on the new Camaro but I said I would post pics so here they are. See if you can spot the "roller skates"
lol, dam I see what they are talking about now. I was gonna order a set too but read you may have to drill out the spindle to fit the 14mm bolt the camaros use.

I'm going to try to find a set of CTS-V calipers instead.

Good luck with the install
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

checked the ebay site and the picture shows the stick on weights.

emailed slp and got a response saying they come with the stick on weights cause these takeoffs are from early production SS's.

tony
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

The weight situation is easy to take care of. It the drilling of the spindle that gets me. If it works out fo Giggity I might pick up a set if I haven't found a set of CTS-V calipers.

Giggity: keep us posted and let us know it the brake lines for the Camaro work with our car or if they are like the CTS-V and you need an adapter.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
checked the ebay site and the picture shows the stick on weights.

emailed slp and got a response saying they come with the stick on weights cause these takeoffs are from early production SS's.

tony
Yeah I got mine from SLP and the picture online showed the stick on weights. However I definitely received a set of calipers with the new style weighted brake pads.

I'm sure I could just cut the weights off but I decided to grab a set of new non-weighted ceramics anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

So I have a few updates :

Ordered the caliper mounting bolts from the dealership. 4 bucks a piece.
Ordered Z06 rotors from the dealership. Guy said they list for $175 each but could do $120. They just showed up today. Looks like they are 340mm Z51 rotors not 355mm Z06 rotors So I will drop them off tomorrow and see what he is going to get me for the right ones. How much should I be expecting to pay for 06+ Z06 rotors? I would get them from gmpartsdirect but I want to know *when* I am getting them. If it took a month to get here I would be very bummed.

Ordered a set of brake lines from Ed @ flynbye. Waited a week and called him today to check on status. Said he didn't ship them yet but was planning on them sending them soon. Was a little bummed by that Talked to him for a few and mentioned that I was using SS Calipers instead of the CTS-V calipers and he said that they moved the brake line fitting on the SS calipers and I would need a shorter line with a different fitting for it to be right. I would rather wait a little extra and have it done right than rush thru it with the wrong parts so I told him to take the extra time and do it right. Seemed like a real nice guy and I'm looking forward to getting the lines. I don't want to speak for Ed but it sound like he may be adding a part number on his site for 2010+ Camaro SS Brembos -> 4th gen hard lines.

So that's where I'm at. While waiting for parts I did get a little work done on the rear brakes though!

Before : Awesome new machined/black 18X10.5 Z06 Replica wheels and awful rusted Duralast rotors

During : My awesome plan of masking the contact area of the rotor, mounting it on the car, putting it in drive and cutting it with a razor blade. I thought it worked pretty well!

After : I ended up doing the caliper bracket and caliper too

Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

looks good
Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

woww, those rotors still look small behind the 18" wheels!!

how do they feel stopping power wise compared to stock?

tony
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

They look tiny because they are the stockers on the rear. Very nice paint work though. Why not gray though, so that they would match your new front rotors? They appear to be silver in the pics....... Did you sand blast the calipers/mounts to remove rust prior to painting, or another method?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GrimreaperSS
. Why not gray though, so that they would match your new front rotors? They appear to be silver in the pics....... Did you sand blast the calipers/mounts to remove rust prior to painting, or another method?
Autozone had red, black and what I thought was grey. Turned out to be silver. I'll probably be trying to figure out how to get the 5th gen rears on a 12-bolt next, so I'm not too worried about matching

I hand cleaned the caliper/mount with a wire brush and then went over the whole thing with a wire wheels. I also sprayed them a couple times with caliper cleaner.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?