Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a way that you could get a custom made hat for a two part rotor? That way you wouldnt have to use the washers between the caliper and the caliper mount and also give you more clearence for rims.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why that wouldn't work, however it sounds very expensive! I did the install this past weekend, I'm just going to neaten up a few things before I post the pics/guide.

I think a more cost effective solution to avoiding the use of washers between the spindle and caliper would be using the 2010 Camaro SS rotors honed out to fit on the 4th gen hub. I haven't actually done this, but according to the super scientific measurements I did, the offset difference between 14" the Z06 rotors and 14" Camaro rotors is *very* close to the thickness of the two washers. Since I happen to have 2 Camaro rotors I will give this a try when I get a chance. Just need to send the rotors to a machine shop.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for my setup i think imma go with the Z51 rotors a bit smaller but hub bore works. and hopefully everything else does tooo.. just gotta redrill..
Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giggity
I don't see why that wouldn't work, however it sounds very expensive! I did the install this past weekend, I'm just going to neaten up a few things before I post the pics/guide.

I think a more cost effective solution to avoiding the use of washers between the spindle and caliper would be using the 2010 Camaro SS rotors honed out to fit on the 4th gen hub. I haven't actually done this, but according to the super scientific measurements I did, the offset difference between 14" the Z06 rotors and 14" Camaro rotors is *very* close to the thickness of the two washers. Since I happen to have 2 Camaro rotors I will give this a try when I get a chance. Just need to send the rotors to a machine shop.
Sounds interesting.. Keep us informed as you find out more..
Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blakss
for my setup i think imma go with the Z51 rotors a bit smaller but hub bore works. and hopefully everything else does tooo.. just gotta redrill..
What are you going to do so there's not part of the pad hanging off the edge of the rotor unused?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blakss
Are you thinking of doing the 2010 SS Brembos with Z51 rotors? If so, that won't really buy you anything because the calipers are still getting mounted in the same place and it's the caliper that is forcing you to use 18" wheels.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo
What are you going to do so there's not part of the pad hanging off the edge of the rotor unused?
yea it was more like the caliper was hanging off the edge of the rotor.. so by going to a bigger rotor should fit perfect
Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you thinking of doing the 2010 SS Brembos with Z51 rotors? If so, that won't really buy you anything because the calipers are still getting mounted in the same place and it's the caliper that is forcing you to use 18" wheels.
actually.. i already got 18 inch wheels factory.. and right now got some 22's for the summer but im about to take them off. and as long as the i get this to work il be happy..
Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM

New guy to the Forum, I would like to say Hello to all of the members here.

From what I was told the rotors for the SS is a Brembo piece also. I got all 4 rotors and calipers and have been directed to this thread as I will be using the SS brakes on a 3rd generation guy.

The bolt pattern on the stock (Brembo?) rotor match up with the 3rd generations wheel bolt pattern. As I am old school, that is a 4.75" (120 MMs?) pattern in the real old days. It looks like to me it would be better to use the stock guys and just get the rotor spindle hole machined out the 4 mms or so, to fit the bigger spindle. Should be easier/cheaper way to go then the other Corvette rotor options, IMO.

I was just seeing if you LS guys made any progress in this conversion yet. Lots of folks will be interested in this swap, especially as the newer Camaro pieces become more available over time. I know Ed at Fly & Bye is currently doing work on this project also. With all of Ed's great reviews on his products it should help make the swap much better and easier in the end. Thanks for the help and for another great Camaro Forum.

Last edited by houstonvett; 09-22-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houstonvett
New guy to the Forum, I would like to say Hello to all of the members here.

From what I was told the rotors for the SS is a Brembo piece also. I got all 4 rotors and calipers and have been directed to this thread as I will be using the SS brakes on a 3rd generation guy.
Welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like a nice project. I must warn you of one critical issue though. It is generally very ill-advised to use fixed calipers on the rear of a c-clip axle. The axles naturally have some side-to-side play, and this creates a problem. As the axles move in and out around turns and such, the pistons in the calipers are forced inwards, back into their bores. This pushes brake fluid out of the caliper and back towards the master cylinder, and results in a low pedal the next time the brakes are used. This results in inconsistant pedal height, poor feel, and can affect braking dramatically.

Due to this issue, Baer recently designed a system called "VeriSlide". It mounts the fixed caliper on a set of slide pins (much like a floating caliper) so that it can absorb the axle movement without displacing fluid from the caliper. However, I believe its only available with Baer upgrade kits and only works with Baer calipers.

The other option is to change out the rear to a non c-clip style rear, meaning pressed on axle bearings. An example would be the Ford 9". Full floating rears work as well, but are only used in heavy duty trucks and not in any cars.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by houstonvett
I was just seeing if you LS guys made any progress in this conversion yet. Lots of folks will be interested in this swap, especially as the newer Camaro pieces become more available over time. I know Ed at Fly & Bye is currently doing work on this project also. With all of Ed's great reviews on his products it should help make the swap much better and easier in the end. Thanks for the help and for another great Camaro Forum.
I've been rocking the 14" Camaro brakes on the front of my car for almost a month but I don't quite have things perfect enough to make a new thread. Still left to do :

- Find machine shop that will hone out my Camaro SS rotors. Doing this because I think the offset is different enough that I won't need to space out the caliper from the spindle with washers (which I wasn't crazy about).

- Get some new socket head cap screws to use to mount the caliper. The 14mm bolts work fine but due to the size of them it was difficult to get a socket on them.

Another thing to note on the Camaro SS rotors is that the bolt pattern is not *exactly* the same.

- Bolt Circle
- Corvette Z06 - 5X120.7mm
- Camaro SS - 5X120.0mm

- Bolt Hole Size
- Corvette Z06 - 13.4mm
- Camaro SS - 16.2mm

So as long as I can get someone to hone the Camaro rotor perfectly, I should be ok. As you can see the bolt circle is *very* close and the larger bolt holes in the Camaro rotor means there is enough play for it to fit.

Side question. Everything I have read says the rotor hub bore is 70.7mm on these cars but when I had wheel spacers made they told me 70.3mm... I went with that measurement and the wheel spacer fits perfect. So I'm thinking of doing the rotors the same. Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM

I've been rocking the 14" Camaro brakes on the front of my car for almost a month but I don't quite have things perfect enough to make a new thread. Still left to do :

- Find machine shop that will hone out my Camaro SS rotors. Doing this because I think the offset is different enough that I won't need to space out the caliper from the spindle with washers (which I wasn't crazy about).

- Get some new socket head cap screws to use to mount the caliper. The 14mm bolts work fine but due to the size of them it was difficult to get a socket on them.

Another thing to note on the Camaro SS rotors is that the bolt pattern is not *exactly* the same.

- Bolt Circle
- Corvette Z06 - 5X120.7mm
- Camaro SS - 5X120.0mm

- Bolt Hole Size
- Corvette Z06 - 13.4mm
- Camaro SS - 16.2mm

So as long as I can get someone to hone the Camaro rotor perfectly, I should be ok. As you can see the bolt circle is *very* close and the larger bolt holes in the Camaro rotor means there is enough play for it to fit.

Side question. Everything I have read says the rotor hub bore is 70.7mm on these cars but when I had wheel spacers made they told me 70.3mm... I went with that measurement and the wheel spacer fits perfect. So I'm thinking of doing the rotors the same. Any thoughts?
In getting my front 2010 SS stock rotors to fit on to the 3rd generation guy, I was going to take the stock 3rd gen rotors to the machine shop with me. In this way the machine shop will have a go by in measurements for the spindle hole on the 2010 SS rotors. I will let the Forum know what the spindle hole size for the 3rd gen guy, should be the same for the LS cars I believe.

"Sounds like a nice project. I must warn you of one critical issue though. It is generally very ill-advised to use fixed calipers on the rear of a c-clip axle. The axles naturally have some side-to-side play, and this creates a problem. As the axles move in and out around turns and such, the pistons in the calipers are forced inwards, back into their bores. This pushes brake fluid out of the caliper and back towards the master cylinder, and results in a low pedal the next time the brakes are used. This results in inconsistant pedal height, poor feel, and can affect braking dramatically."

Thanks for the information Wesmanw2 on the problem with the C clip rear ends. I have a 85 Iroc 3:73 rear end in my guy right now. It looks like Moser makes a C clip elimanator package for most GM housings. The price of the kit isn't too bad and well worth the price to get disc brakes in the back of this old Camaro.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...hTerm=718-9200

Last edited by houstonvett; 09-23-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

As far as the center bore on the rotors goes, you may want to check the hub first. I havent looked at my car in a long time, but I know the Mazda's I do work on everyday, the hub center is "stepped" the hub is larger where the rotor bolts up and the steps down to a smaller diameter to where the wheel bolts up. Could just measure the center bore of your OE rotors also!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuning in... Love what I've read so far.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Default Anthing New?

Well waiting to hear the latest on this. So far I have the 2010 calipers/rotors. Rotors are at the machine shop right now getting the hub diameter opened up. Brake lines are on the way from Flynbye and I have the C6 wheels that are 56mm offset so I will have to get a 15mm spacer to get it to fit it looks like, and then pick up some 14mm bolts... Should have everything here by next week.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone ever get their camaro SS rotors bored out? Did the spacing work out better than the Z06 rotors for the calipers? I was told that with the Z06 rotors that the pads will hang over the inside edge of the rotor towards the center so the pads will not be in full contact.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69TA
The Z06 rotors are not very good the brake path is small and because of that it does not take advantage of the full contact area of the pad.

So in effect negating gains you would have had by going with the better calipers.

I am selling my new one piece rotors that I had made up to work with the CTSV brakes.

I had some 2 piece rotors made up so won't be needing these.

Can you send me a PM with the details of what you have here for sale? I'm am interested in doing the CTS-v swap into my 4th gen.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have a question. I did the 10' Brembo on my 4th gen with bored out 10' rotors. Everything went on great and it brakes like a champ now but every now and then when I am just moderately braking I get a good initial pedal feel but then a surge. Any thoughts???
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TURBO6.0L
Did anyone ever get their camaro SS rotors bored out? Did the spacing work out better than the Z06 rotors for the calipers? I was told that with the Z06 rotors that the pads will hang over the inside edge of the rotor towards the center so the pads will not be in full contact.
I took SS rotors and gave them to the machine shop with my old rotors to match up. I did not have to use spacer (washers) between the calipers and spindle and they fit perfectly centered on the rotor.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
I took SS rotors and gave them to the machine shop with my old rotors to match up. I did not have to use spacer (washers) between the calipers and spindle and they fit perfectly centered on the rotor.
So by doing this would we still need wheel spacers?

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro SS Brembos on a 4th gen?