Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How does this sound? (shocks/springs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this sound? (shocks/springs)

Looking to upgrade the stockers on my 15 year old car, could still use some help but I've been reading and researching and this is what I've come to...

I want a nice middle ground for drag/street handling use, car will occasionally see track use
(once I get everything going that is)

I want a good ride quality
(at this point, I think I will be happy with anything better than my current ride through the woods feeling)

I don't want to slam the car, I'm thinking 1.5" MAX.
110% daily driver car, will be installing myself if that makes a difference.

I'm either torn between a Bilstein HD Shock/Eibach prokit combo I can get for about $620

OR

Bilstien HD shock/Strano Spring for $660ish.
Prices are with shipping factored in.

Now I haven't heard the greatest things about Eibach prokits or any of their springs about the ride quality so I'm kind of worried about that, which is why I think I like the Strano springs better, plus I am given much more information on the Strano's than the Eibach which really makes me lean that way.

What about the Bilstein shocks?
Are those pretty good?
Budget can flex a little bit, but I can't afford QA1's or Koni's that were both nearly double the price from what I've seen.

I really don't want a used set, but if its a good deal and low mileage I would be willing to compromise.

What do you guys think?
Open to all options, would love to hear your reviews if you have similar set ups!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're touching on a sore subject here, most will tell you to save for the koni's. I will say this, I had tokicos and prokit on my old car and it was fine. No problems at all on the street. They are a good shock and often overlooked for our cars. Prokit it decent, the sportlines are too much though.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah sportlines looked like it would slam my car, definitely don't want that, would be sweet but not for my DD.

The Koni's are just too expensive, don't get me wrong they sound great lol.
I just don't have that kind of coin, and this has been needing to be done...along with many other things lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After doing a little more reading sounds like the Bilstiens aren't really that good for lowering springs, unless you get the revalved ones from Strano.

I will probably end up calling Sam, until then, let me know what you guys think!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of people run the Strano/Koni setup. I understand about not wanting to spend the money on Konis. I think you can run Strano springs and KYB adjustable shocks, I would definitely give him a call if your gonna drop that much money on the setup.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Couple of suggestions: both availible from Strano

Revalved Bilsteins & Hotchkis 1" lowering springs

Edelbrock IAS
Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, Sam hasn't done/had revalved Bilsteins for quite awhile.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, Sam hasn't done/had revalved Bilsteins for quite awhile.
Oh really?

Is there a reason?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by happysem
Oh really?

Is there a reason?
They got to being close to the cost of Konis, which are adjustable and offer a lifetime warranty.
Honestly if I were you I would just do shocks first (unless you want the lowered look) and then decide if you want springs from there. I can tell you from first hand experience I had konis on otherwise stock suspension and the handling was a night and day difference. You don't need lowering springs, what you need is good shocks.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Understood, I do however, want the lowered look lol.

Car needs a bit of a drop.

How do all of these shocks compare for the price? (QA1, Koni, KYB)
They are all adjustable, which would be nice.

I really want something I can have a nice quality ride with, and being able to adjust them would be cool if I wanted to tighten for more handling or a softer setting for the track.

What if I put all my budget (around $650-$700) into shocks, then got some used lowering springs from the classifieds for like $100?
Or just chop the stockers? hahaha...
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I like the sound of this - KYB AGX adjustable gas shocks (375 for a set of 4 plus shipping) with the Strano springs (275 shipped) that way I can have both and an adjustable shock.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got another setup I would like opinions about, either the KYB's and Strano springs, or this full QA1 12 way adjustable setup I found for $700, comes with front shocks,springs, and back shocks, has adjustable ride height.
I guess that makes the front coil-overs?
Not exactly sure what they are.

Here is the link (Sponsor) http://www.spohn.net/shop/1993-1997-...djustable.html
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

i would get konis and run them on the lower perch with the stock springs in front and do the hose mod in the rear... that will give it a slightly lower stance and you will have great shocks and you can get springs later if you decide to... off topic but were you on shiloh turning onto northwest yesterday around 12:45??... i was on a test drive and saw a car that looked exactly like yours haha
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neutron82
i would get konis and run them on the lower perch with the stock springs in front and do the hose mod in the rear... that will give it a slightly lower stance and you will have great shocks and you can get springs later if you decide to... off topic but were you on shiloh turning onto northwest yesterday around 12:45??... i was on a test drive and saw a car that looked exactly like yours haha
My car has been down for about a week, got a vacuum leak somewhere lol

Koni's are going to break the bank...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...9-shipped.html

Just skip most everyone that isn't Sam as he gives a lot of information that will help in your choice when he isn't being assaulted for having practical experience and first hand knowledge.

Koni's are the holy grail here so expect everyone to say "get Koni's". You learn to tune them out after a while. They aren't wrong, but after a while it becomes second nature to say "Get Koni's"

As others have said Bilstiens are good, but not with Strano springs. That came from Sam himself. They are meant for eibach's.

Yes KYB's are adjustable but adjustable and quality aren't hand in hand. As for QA1's I have heard mixed results.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Read https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...9-shipped.html

Just skip most everyone that isn't Sam as he gives a lot of information that will help in your choice when he isn't being assaulted for having practical experience and first hand knowledge.

Koni's are the holy grail here so expect everyone to say "get Koni's". You learn to tune them out after a while. They aren't wrong, but after a while it becomes second nature to say "Get Koni's"

As others have said Bilstiens are good, but not with Strano springs. That came from Sam himself. They are meant for eibach's.

Yes KYB's are adjustable but adjustable and quality aren't hand in hand. As for QA1's I have heard mixed results.

Thanks for the advice, I want to talk to someone knowledgeable like Sam but didn't want to discuss other products and possibly end up not buying his product for someone else's after all the good info he would probably give me.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump, any more opinions?