Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking after installing new SLP Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunking after installing new SLP Bilsteins

So I just got done installing new SLP Bilsteins all the way around. The rear shocks feel fantastic. However the front is a different story. When I hit a bump the front end clunks on both sides... feels like something is loose? I used all of the stock hardware from the stock struts. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't tighten the nut down far enough on top of the strut?

Any help would be appreciated. I dread tearing it apart again since it is such a pain in the ***.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Did you torque the nut down while the spring was still compressed?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had that on my driver side, it was the upper mounts. The center was torn out so the shock was just bouncing around. There is supposed to be a metal sleeve in the center just big enough for the shock shaft to go through. If it was a bigger hole, then yours are torn out and you need replacement mounts.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
So I just got done installing new SLP Bilsteins all the way around. The rear shocks feel fantastic. However the front is a different story. When I hit a bump the front end clunks on both sides... feels like something is loose? I used all of the stock hardware from the stock struts. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't tighten the nut down far enough on top of the strut?

Any help would be appreciated. I dread tearing it apart again since it is such a pain in the ***.
Yeah, sounds like the upper shock mounts. As already posted, you need to tighten the nut all the way down with the spring fully compressed. If the upper isolators, (that rubber coated metal wedge on top of the mount) are worn out or the holes are out of round, you will need to replace them. I've done this before so don't feel bad. I've taken the front apart so many times now, I know every socket size for every bolt now! That being said, It is probably just loose and not tightened all the way. If you didn't have the clunking with the decarbons before you put the bilteins on, then it's probably just loose on both sides. It's unlikely that both sides would be doing that now and needing to be replaced. Think about what has changed since you put the new shocks on. Only the bilsteins are new and the fact you took it apart and reassembled it is new.
I would take them off again, be sure the springs are fully compressed, tighten the shock nuts ALL the way down, then release the compression.
Hopefully that is all it is, I'm betting it is.
Good luck.
And remember, practice makes perfect!

Quick Reply: Clunking after installing new SLP Bilsteins