Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

STRANO springs, Koni 4/4, UMI panhard pics/review

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Oh.... And I'm glad you guys like the parts. Thank you for saying so publicly!
lol @ sarcasm

NP. Can't wait for the sways.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
<sarcasm on> But, but.... the bars aren't Chrome-moly! <sarcasm off>

Running the lower perch with lowering springs is not recommended. You'll end up around 2" lower and with very little working travel. You run a greater risk of damaging the Koni's and if too many of you do that, Koni will start to wonder what's up. I did not design the springs to be run on any perch height but the stock one, if you opt to do something else that's your call--but I'd not encourage it.

Haha I might be calling on monday to let you know you need to make CM ones..

I definitely did not get 2" of lowering so I think they are on the uppers, Like I said I didn't know it had two ways so I put it on the same way it came out of the box.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by torque fiend
looks better, but I would've used the lower perch. Definitely stiffen it up more.
Originally Posted by z28bryan
Explain to me how using the same spring on the lower perch will stiffen it up more
I never said the same spring on the lower perch would stiffen it up.

Originally Posted by ninetres
I currently have the fronts on full soft, and rears 180* from full soft. I think I need to play with the settings to stiffen it up a bit.
That's what I was referring to.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't understand the two ways ? i have strano springs also... any pictures to show what ya'll mean thanks =)
Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SRfastZ
i don't understand the two ways ? i have strano springs also... any pictures to show what ya'll mean thanks =)
It has to do with the Koni's. It has 2 slots you can mount the sping cup on (but the lower one kills your shock travel, and will slam you car lower than needed).
Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

Had my car aligned today and cranked the fronts 4 sweeps away from full soft, and rears 2 whole revoltions from full soft. WOW. Much flatter than before. A little fougher over bumps, but not unbearable if you are used to a sports car. Its was kinda a bitch IMO to adjust the front. Wish there was an easier way than removing the wheels, and cramming my head as far up in the wheel well as possible so that I can see the "adjuster" behind the coil spring!

I can't wait for some sways but I got a lot on my plate trying to finish the turbo car I do really miss 1200rwhp
Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Had my car aligned today and cranked the fronts 4 sweeps away from full soft, and rears 2 whole revoltions from full soft. WOW. Much flatter than before. A little fougher over bumps, but not unbearable if you are used to a sports car.
Turn the front up more, youll like the results.

Its was kinda a bitch IMO to adjust the front. Wish there was an easier way than removing the wheels, and cramming my head as far up in the wheel well as possible so that I can see the "adjuster" behind the coil spring!
Sounds like youre doing something wrong, Ive never had to take my wheels off to adjust my front shocks. Just jack the car up high enough to see the adjuster and reach in there with an allen wrench.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

See I was thinking the fronts up a little, the rears down a little.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-21-2010, 02:49 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Sounds like youre doing something wrong, Ive never had to take my wheels off to adjust my front shocks. Just jack the car up high enough to see the adjuster and reach in there with an allen wrench.
You know.....that MIGHT work, but I was rotating my tires so they were off anyway. My issue is, the coil blocks visibility of the adjustment holes that you stick the allen into. So the only way I can see them is to press my head all the way against the roof of the wheel well. An adjustment **** (like the stange adjustables on my drag car) would have been much easier....and not require a jack.

I will try to snap a pic next time I adjust them. Maybe if the tire is still on the ground, but the car is slightly jack up (suspension unloaded) the coil will be out of the way. But with the wheel off, there is no way around it as the coil must be seated properly in the upper cup....which in turn places a coil right in front of the adjuster on my car. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this.

Thanks for the insight on Settings Sam. I'll try playing with them more. Only issue is I am on sumitomo's lol......so its tough to gauge minute adjustments effect.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know.....that MIGHT work, but I was rotating my tires so they were off anyway. My issue is, the coil blocks visibility of the adjustment holes that you stick the allen into. So the only way I can see them is to press my head all the way against the roof of the wheel well. An adjustment **** (like the stange adjustables on my drag car) would have been much easier....and not require a jack.
I had the same problem but I just felt for it and made sure I went the same amount of turns and it worked fine. One of my adjusters is against the engine side so I can't see it without a mirror guess I should have paid attention to that when I put them in. I got mine set the way I want finally today, rears on 3, I think thats one turn back from stiffest? And the fronts 5 clicks from full soft. Drives exactly how I wanted it to now.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installed my Koni single adjustable 4/4s all around, Strano lowering spings (1.25" drop), and a UMI cromoly on-car adjustable panhard bar (roto joints). It no longer has that 4x4 stock Camaro look, but does not looked slammed what so ever. It looks how a Camaro should have came form the factory.

The nice shocks make it ride just like it wasnt even lowered. I am pretty shocked at how smooth the car rides. I thought it would be bumpier and more stiff. I currently have the fronts on full soft, and rears 180* from full soft. I think I need to play with the settings to stiffen it up a bit. It looks like the fronts will be tricky to get to without jacking the car up
Full soft in the front and half stiff in rear?

Definitely start playing with your Koni adjustments

Edit: It seems like you are doing this already. Try stiffening up the front just a bit more and lower the rears. Tell us what you think then.

Quick Reply: STRANO springs, Koni 4/4, UMI panhard pics/review