Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lower control arm installation help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower control arm installation help

This sounds like a silly question, but better safe than sorry I guess. I'm curious which end of my new control arms attach to the rear end? Here is a link to the control arms I have http://kentucky-speed.com/umi-perfor...arms-p-86.html. I know these are UMI, but they look almost identical. I'm thinking the fatter part goes towards the back but I'll be dammed if this thing isnt going in..... Also, any special type of grease to use? And last, (sorry), I know HOW to adjust them, but I'm just not sure of the WHY or where to adjust them to? I also have an adjustable panhard rod going in as well. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If they are like the ones in the pic, the poly end goes to the car. Yes you need special grease. The name is in the bottom of your link. I used mine to get the wheel in the middle of the wheel well.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Wow, as I read the description it says in my link the poly end goes to the car lol. Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Install the poly end on the car and the rod end on the rear end.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks Ryan, I am having a different problem now tho, I'm still trying to find a good grease that I can pick up at napa or autozone? From what I have read, with poly bushings, I should be using a marine type grease? The white stuff? Do I just slather it all over the poly side? There is only one grease fitting and its at the other end. Thanks guys, I'm a little slow when it comes to stuff like this lol
Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Am I supposed to have the rear end jacked up when I put these on?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the rearend on ramps or a drive on lift way easier to do if the suspension is loaded
Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

jack up the rear end and support by the frame with jackstands so the suspension is unloaded. Then once the LCA's are installed, lower to the ground or support by the axle with stands so the suspension is loaded and torque the bolts down. You dont want to Torque the bolts with the suspension unloaded, because once you lower the rear end with poly bushings it could cause binding if not torqued with suspension loaded
Old 08-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all of the information, I was thinking this was going to be one of those unbolt and bolt right in kinds of jobs lol. I am having an interesting problem tho.... I installed the LCA relocation brackets at the same time. They are the Sphoon bolt/weld ins and it "looks" like the relocation brackets are angles more towards the rear of the car after I took it for a drive? I'm going to take off the wheels and check this out tomorrow to make sure this is whats happening. It feels pretty good when I'm driving it but it just looks like the bracket is hitting the brake line and I dont want to bust that open and have another project on my hands.

If I'm reading this right undertow, I'm supposed to have it supported by the frame with suspension unloaded, bolt everything up finger tight, jack up the rear end and load the suspension, and THEN torque everything down? I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding the point of installing them while the suspension is unloaded and the loading it back up before torquing them down. Couldnt you just jack up the rear end and install with the suspension loaded? Sorry if I'm missing something. Thanks --Jay

Quick Reply: Lower control arm installation help