Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting Bilstein HD's...get 3rd or 4th gen rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting Bilstein HD's...get 3rd or 4th gen rear?

I'm going to order a set of the Bilstein HD's pretty soon, and I think I recall reading on here somewhere that the 3rd gen's were better than the ones sold for the 4th gens.

So should I get a set of 4th gen fronts, and 3rd gen rears for my '00 Formula?

BTW here are the goals for my car:

Get rid of the stockers, the ride is both harsh and very floaty, it's at the point where I don't think it's safe on the highway.

I'm keeping stock springs, I have no plans to lower as the roads here are horrible, and any lower I'd be scraping all over the place.

Better handling is nice, but the car is primarily a DD and cruiser, I really don't get a chance to really open it up on corners, since I live in the land of 35mph speed limits. I get to the strip once or twice a year as well, so that isn't really a big concern either.

As opposed to max handling, my real desire is for a comfortable ride. Like I said, the car is more of a cruiser, I don't want my teeth rattled.

I'd also love to get rid of that lovely feeling of the rearend skipping sideways when hitting good sized bumps, especially in corners.

I've settled on the HD's because I've read that the SLP's are designed for thier springs, while the HD's are for stock springs. Also the HD has a lifetime warranty vs. the SLP 90-Day. And I won't argue that Koni's are the top dog, but they're simply out of my budget at this time. Also, I'm really not sure that Koni's really fit my needs at this point anyway.

And would I be mistaken in thinking that if I DID decide to go for max handling eventually, that a set of good sways combined with the HD's will put me in that direction?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to phone Sam Strano... But AFAIK, with stock rear-end get Bilstein HD 4th Gens (or Koni SA 4th Gens if you can afford them), aftermarket heavier rear, get Koni 3rd Gen...
Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Bilsteins will drastically improve comfort and take care of that obnoxious skipping. They're perfect for what you're looking for. Sways will make a big difference, too. You'll have a great combo for your needs.

I haven't heard of 3rd gen rears being available for a couple of years. In fact, no Bilsteins are available now ... on national back order again.

When the revised valving for the 4th gen rears came out, Sam was harshly critical of the changes - it moved the dampening in the direction of the stock DeCarbons. Another solution - though somewhat more expensive - is to use Koni 3rd gen rears with your front Bilsteins.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting, anyone know Bilstein's reasons for that change?

Originally Posted by RevGTO
When the revised valving for the 4th gen rears came out, Sam was harshly critical of the changes - it moved the dampening in the direction of the stock DeCarbons. Another solution - though somewhat more expensive - is to use Koni 3rd gen rears with your front Bilsteins.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

I picked up a set of Bilstein HDs from partsgeek.com a couple weeks ago when nobody else had them (looks like they still have stock too). The rears were marked for 82-92 F-body.

I haven't driven on them yet, car still needs a brake bleed and an alignment.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not sure if Sam still offers these since I do not see them on his website, but I got his modified Bilstein HDs which I believe were just Bilstein HDs with 3rd gen valving on the rear. If those are no longer available I would just get the regular Bilstein HDs.

Your goals are almost exactly what mine were. My Z28 is my DD, I wanted a good handling but comfortable ride, keeping the stock springs since the roads around here are terrible and I already scrape, and the Koni's were out of my price range. I am very happy with the Bilstein's. Ride quality improved a lot (bumps aren't as harsh), it got rid of the floaty feeling, and handling improved a lot.

As far as the rear end skipping around over bumps, I'm afraid that doesn't really go away. You're kind of stuck with that as a result of having a solid rear axle and a panhard bar. A watts link might help but it won't totally get rid of that. I've just learned to slow the hell down when I know there is a bump coming up during a turn.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Do LCAs also help that?

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
As far as the rear end skipping around over bumps, I'm afraid that doesn't really go away. You're kind of stuck with that as a result of having a solid rear axle and a panhard bar. A watts link might help but it won't totally get rid of that. I've just learned to slow the hell down when I know there is a bump coming up during a turn.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
I picked up a set of Bilstein HDs from partsgeek.com a couple weeks ago when nobody else had them (looks like they still have stock too). The rears were marked for 82-92 F-body. I haven't driven on them yet, car still needs a brake bleed and an alignment.
Good tip. Looks like you can put together a Bilstein 4/3 set. All of the vendors I checked didn't carry the 3rd gen rears and were back ordered on 4th gen fronts.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Do LCAs also help that?
I think LCAs and relocation brackets mostly help with wheel hop, but I'm no suspension guru. I've only learned what I've read from other posts on here lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
But it's fun to go around the turn with the back end nearly kicking out on you
Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

^ Does a Watts Link provide any help here?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Launching!

I just got my set Bilsteins HD's today for my 02Z. I've had them before on my 94 LT1. I can tell you from a fact that LCA's along with these shocks help control wheel hop ALOT!! Even with stock shocks, my UMI LCAs cut that hop out quite a bit.

Oh and my shocks came from Autopartswarehouse.com. $370 shipped to my door in less than 48 hours!! And that's front and Rear. They were $411 but there is a coupon code floating around that takes $41 off. Just do a search for Autopartswarehouse coupon codes. Shipping was Free!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZetaVeinteOcho
I just got my set Bilsteins HD's today for my 02Z. I've had them before on my 94 LT1. I can tell you from a fact that LCA's along with these shocks help control wheel hop ALOT!! Even with stock shocks, my UMI LCAs cut that hop out quite a bit.

Oh and my shocks came from Autopartswarehouse.com. $370 shipped to my door in less than 48 hours!! And that's front and Rear. They were $411 but there is a coupon code floating around that takes $41 off. Just do a search for Autopartswarehouse coupon codes. Shipping was Free!
You the man! Thanks for the tip!

And thanks to everyone else for the info, I appreciate it.

Another question, going back to what libertyforall and RevGTO said... If I did Blisteins front, and Koni rear, would the handling be mismatched front and rear? Or is that a better combo than running rear Bils?

And if I just got the rear Koni's, and left the stock DeCarbons in the front for the time being, would that be terrible?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

What about the do-it-yourself aluminum LCAs?
http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Mods/L...minumLCAs.html
Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

I would match them up, but if you have a the stockers in the front for a short while that should be ok. Better to do them all, then an alignment altogether.

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
You the man! Thanks for the tip!

And thanks to everyone else for the info, I appreciate it.

Another question, going back to what libertyforall and RevGTO said... If I did Blisteins front, and Koni rear, would the handling be mismatched front and rear? Or is that a better combo than running rear Bils?

And if I just got the rear Koni's, and left the stock DeCarbons in the front for the time being, would that be terrible?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Another question, going back to what libertyforall and RevGTO said... If I did Blisteins front, and Koni rear, would the handling be mismatched front and rear? Or is that a better combo than running rear Bils? And if I just got the rear Koni's, and left the stock DeCarbons in the front for the time being, would that be terrible?
Yes, it's a bit of a mismatch. I had that combo on my 01 T/A and you could tell the rear Koni's were firmer than the Bilsteins up front - even at full soft. My guess was that even so, they'd be a better deal than the new valved Bilsteins. My preference is the 3rd gen Bilsteins for the rear - if they can be found.

I have a pair of the rear Konis sitting on a shelf for my M6 car. I won't put them on with worn out DeCarbons on the front. It would be horrible. Hopefully I can find some Bilsteins. The partsgeek tip proved no good. Even though the site said "in stock" they were out of stock.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=ZetaVeinteOcho;13724813
Oh and my shocks came from Autopartswarehouse.com. $370 shipped to my door in less than 48 hours!! And that's front and Rear. They were $411 but there is a coupon code floating around that takes $41 off. Just do a search for Autopartswarehouse coupon codes. Shipping was Free! [/QUOTE]

I just ordered mine from here.

I put together a 4/3 set, with a 10% off coupon code I found online, it came out to $323!! Free shipping too!

Now hopefully they're in stock...the site said they were, I'm hoping I don't get a call from them tomorrow telling me otherwise.

I'm super psyched right now...I'm excited to get new shocks finally, and I love getting great deals on stuff!!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Ha! Good luck getting ANY with Bilstein's major component shortage... Supposedly a boat shipment from Germany is on its way soon, according to Bilstein in NC...
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the supposed benefits of the 3rd gen rear HD's, other than the lower price?

Josh
Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hugger
What are the supposed benefits of the 3rd gen rear HD's, other than the lower price?

Josh
Supposedly better valving....but the price is mainly what sold me.

And today must be my lucky day!! I got a email with a tracking number today, so apparently they have them in stock.

Quick Reply: Getting Bilstein HD's...get 3rd or 4th gen rear?