Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good rear shocks for handling & traction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good rear shocks for handling & traction?

This is for my 85 Camaro, not a 4th gen, but since it's mostly the same thing, I'm guessing this forum can be helpful.

I've got a mixed bag of stock & aftermarket suspension equipment in my IROC currently, and before I finish my new motor, I want to get the suspension up to par. Since I'm still using the original 1985 shocks, and I'm bottoming out over bumps, I figured that's where I'll start.

Right now the car has BMR LCAs, BMR LCA relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard rod, Jamex lowering springs and a stock torque arm. Traction more or less sucks. When I launch it I have no bite, and the car likes to get real loose in corners when I drive it aggressively. I suspect that this is mostly due to having a lowered car with a stock panhard rod and old used up shocks.

The motor I'm building is a 402 cube LS3-headed LQ9 that I expect to produce 500+ RWHP, which is essentially double the horsepower I've got now, so obviously traction is going to become very important.

I want something that can provide a good "all around" type of performance. I want it to launch well, but I also want it to ride and handle well. It's got to play nice with my lowered suspension too.

What do you guys suggest?

Quick Reply: Good rear shocks for handling & traction?