Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Confused on what panhard bar to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused on what panhard bar to get

Hey fellas I need a panhard bar. I know I want an on car adjustable one, but what is the difference between just the on car adjustable and the double adjustable? What is the advantage of going with the roto joint vs just the poly bushings? I'm only going with UMI... Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

On car adjustable is just that--adjustable in place installed on the car. A Double adjustable has adjustments at both ends and you have to loosen and tighten the jam-nuts at the ends to change it. The jam nut on the body side is pretty much impossible to get at when on the car--and on car adjustables are easier to deal with for that reason.

Poly vs. Roto-joint. Poly is inexpensvie, but doesn't flex very well, and over time is prone to mis-shaping. A roto-joint allows free articulation of the axle in all directions except the one you don't want (laterally). The Roto-joint type have less deflection when loaded than the poly bushings making the body/axle stay more inline (which is the job of a PHB).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The jam nut on the body side is pretty much impossible to get at when on the car--and on car adjustables are easier to deal with for that reason.
This is the truth here. Get an on-car ajustable that has the adjuster in the middle. I have UMI double adjustable roto-joint PHB and it is a PAIN IN THE *** to tighten the locking nuts. Either take it off the car and tighten it while trying to keep both ends from twisting simultaneously, or invent your own tool to do it on the car.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the vehicle is strictly street use and that is it the Roto-Joint will work fine however could be overkill for your application and the poly bushings would be best. If the vehicle is exposed to some track use such as autocross we recommend the Roto-Joint to allow suspension movement like Sam mentioned.

Below I posted links to our two most popular items, please take a look and I will be glad to help with any additional questions.

On-car adjustable panhard bar- polyurethane bushings

On-car adjustable panhard bar- Roto-Joint

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks Sam, Arc00TA, and Ryan! Ordered it this morning.

Sam, I can't wait to get some Koni's and your springs. You sold some to my friend recently, they look and perform amazing!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T AM
Thanks Sam, Arc00TA, and Ryan! Ordered it this morning.

Sam, I can't wait to get some Koni's and your springs. You sold some to my friend recently, they look and perform amazing!
By the way, I love my roto joints on the street. I just don't love adjusting them.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

On car adj..it's easier to just mess with one thing and then tighten it.. poly bushings are fine...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles can you get out of a roto joint before it needs rebuilt?
What really lasts the longest a poly bushing, rod end, or roto joint?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
How many miles can you get out of a roto joint before it needs rebuilt?
What really lasts the longest a poly bushing, rod end, or roto joint?
We are not sure exactly as we haven't worn a Roto-Joint out yet. If properly greased the delrin inside should last a long long time. The delrin is a high wear resistant material and so is the hard chrome plated 4140 spherical ball. It will take a lot to wear one out..

A polyurethane bushing will last a long time as well. If properly greased they could last a 100K miles I would say.

Rod ends are going to be the most high wearing item and they can wear out in 15-25K miles.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Helps a ton Thx for replying.

Quick Reply: Confused on what panhard bar to get