Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs - BMR vs. Stranos

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i really wouldn't recommend running either set of springs on stock shocks or listening to anyone who thinks they ride fine on stock shocks.

i currently run strano springs and i think they're great. think of then as strano spec vogtland springs since vogtland makes them for him. the spring rates are perfect for me.

bmr recently switched to VERY similar spring rates to strano's: 550lb linear front springs and 160lb to strano's 150lb rear springs.
i'm not sure who makes bmr's springs, but i know vogtland has been around since 1908 and (now) just makes springs. vogtland springs are used in nascar. i could go on...

who makes bmr's springs?
BMR springs are made by a family-owned spring company in California. The current managers are sixth generation family members. They started making springs in 1868. When GM was founded in 1908, this spring company had already been around for 40 years!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Reason I asked was a rep at BMR suggested I'd be fine using their springs on stock shocks... thought it was odd so figured I'd ask.
I still stand that the single best mod you can do to our cars is Konis. I have the 4/3 setup. Shocks/struts should be replaced every 60k regardless.

PS- I'd like to add also that I am the original owner of my 2002 Z28. I've maxed out plenty of credit cars on mods so I'd like to think that I know a decent amount about these cars.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
BMR lowering springs fit stock shocks. The BMR springs will work just fine with stock shocks....if you want the look of a lowered car and you don't care if you have crappy handling.
There you go. Even when a potential customer asks for sponsors to stay out, the salesman can't stay away and has to come in and try to make a sale. Seriously, is there a mental deficiency here that you can't follow a simple request?

Sorry, the information you give is misleading to people looking for advice. Will the lowering springs work, technically yes, but they will make the car handle like crap.

Now some 18 year old who makes $6 a hour will buy a set of springs because the BMR salesman said they work fine on his car, but that couldn't be further from the truth. With that same mentality, you're actually better off just hacking a coil or two off the spring to get your lowered stance.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
BMR springs are made by a family-owned spring company in California. The current managers are sixth generation family members. They started making springs in 1868. When GM was founded in 1908, this spring company had already been around for 40 years!!
that could only be Betts, right? http://www.bettsspring.com/

i read something on tech a while back where strano was approached by, but opted not to use Betts for some reason.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

ok sam I think its time to come in the gloves are off bmr is in and tell us if your springs are lighter.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Really? I've got 105k+ on my original shocks and springs and they still ride perfect - I just need to get rid of the 4x4 look.
Perfect? Stock decarbons were never perfect. A matter of fact, they are awful. If you think your current ride is perfect, I suppose you would be plenty happy with just new springs. Some day though, when you come across a properly damped car, it will become painfully apparent what you are missing. Just get whatever spring you like the stance of better. There is no point in inquiring further. You have already established that you are content with stock, there is no where to go but up from there.

PS- have you ever ridden in a modern car, like say a 2nd gen CTS, a newer BMW, or Audi?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Perfect? Stock decarbons were never perfect. A matter of fact, they are awful. If you think your current ride is perfect, I suppose you would be plenty happy with just new springs. Some day though, when you come across a properly damped car, it will become painfully apparent what you are missing. Just get whatever spring you like the stance of better. There is no point in inquiring further. You have already established that you are content with stock, there is no where to go but up from there.

PS- have you ever ridden in a modern car, like say a 2nd gen CTS, a newer BMW, or Audi?
Perhaps you took that a tad too literal...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have had only two sets of springs, one 2" drop on stock shocks which handle good and then call Strano for a kit that I wanted to be use in track days, autox, and not so much in the street but also mantion it was a full weight car. I got one of this 4/3 full kits and let me tell you it rocks. very happy with the kit and I think it come with lifetime on the koni shocks.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I had eibach springs on my stock shocks for around 15k miles and the car rides terrible now. I put the stock springs back in and I think the stock shocks are shot. I was going to do the Strano package but I spent the money on my cam package instead......lmao I always do the things I shouldnt do first.....I want to have my car feel stable at 90-100 mph, right now I feel unstable and my car only has 24k miles on it. I really need a set of strano and koni shocks!!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Without getting too technical, lets clear up some things about shocks and springs in simple terms. Springs simply resists compression or extension depending on application, but for us, they resist being compressed at some rate usually measured in lbs. The specifics doesn't really matter to us.

A shock absorber's job is to slow (dampen) how quickly the springs move, again in simple terms. Due to valving, it can slow the compression at a different rate than extension (rebound). The easy way to look at it is if you have a spring and place a 50lb weight on it gently, the spring may compress 3", but if you were to drop it from 3 feet on the same spring it would compress it maybe 5", but then bounce it back up and back down oscilating till it settled out to the 3". Why, because the weight being dropped had momentum and a shock absorber's job is to reduce the momentum of the car putting the weight down on the springs, again in simple terms.

So take a stock f-body with decarbons and factory springs. Both are relatively soft. That's where you get the floating feeling from our cars when stock. As bad as each is, they are kindof matched to each other.

Now, take those soft shocks, and add a much stiffer, shorter spring, and that's what you get with both the Strano and BMR springs and most of the other aftermarket springs. Now the shock is unable to control both the compression or rebound of the spring, which is the recipe for a shitty driving experience.

Like I said, if what you are after for a spring is an appearance mod, then take your factory spring and cut off the coils till you reach your desired appearance. The car will arguably handle and ride better since the shock will not be facing a compression rate that the aftermarket springs have.

So honestly, decide what you really want. If it's just a lower stance, save the $200+ and just cut your factory springs if you don't care about the car handling or riding like crap. Trust me, I was told 10 years ago that I could run lowering springs with stock shocks and the car drove like total ****. Every bump rattled your teeth. I was embarassed to have people ride in my car. I finally talked to Sam and realized that even though you could bolt up higher rate, lower springs, it was a bad thing to do.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Alchemist - great "laymans term" insight
Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoWS6
.I want to have my car feel stable at 90-100 mph, right now I feel unstable and my car only has 24k miles on it. I really need a set of strano and koni shocks!!
This was part of the main reason I started looking into suspension mods, the car just didn't feel connected at higher speeds, none the less at higher speeds around turns. There's no getting around the fact that these cars can get to those speeds quickly and effortlessly but whats the point if you just want to quickly slow down because the car feels like its going to bounce off the road [rhetorical question]?
After searching for a while and reading for months I decided to bite the bullet with koni 4/3s (on otherwise stock suspension) and they were worth every penny and more, and unbelievable difference in stability, handling, balance and ride quality. More so than any other mod I've done.
For those of you who don't have them you are truly missing out.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I will throw my .02 in. I have Strano springs, Koni 4/4's, UMI T/A, LCA, LCARB and a panhard bar. Each part Sam gave me good advice on installing and setting up the part. More than once I was lost and he helped me out. He called me back a week later to check to see if everything was ok.

Strano wins races. If you want to call me a Strano nutswinger then maybe I am. It's just not that often you find someone who really knows what they are doing and are willing and able to explain it to you.

Call and talk to Sam and I promise you will be a customer shortly thereafter.

One thing I forgot to add. He will actually talk you out of buying parts. He will help you chase down the problem and not just throw parts at it.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:30 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
One thing I forgot to add. He will actually talk you out of buying parts. He will help you chase down the problem and not just throw parts at it.
The difference is Sam is a racer/driver who just happens to sell parts. Other companies are just that, companies, with salesmen trying to make a commision. I envision these companies have 'employees' that simply surf the net all day pushing products on people instead of helping to set up their cars properly.

Even if I can save a buck or ten going somewhere else, I will order from Sam since he isn't a salesman, he's a fellow gear head.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This was part of the main reason I started looking into suspension mods, the car just didn't feel connected at higher speeds, none the less at higher speeds around turns. There's no getting around the fact that these cars can get to those speeds quickly and effortlessly but whats the point if you just want to quickly slow down because the car feels like its going to bounce off the road [rhetorical question]?
After searching for a while and reading for months I decided to bite the bullet with koni 4/3s (on otherwise stock suspension) and they were worth every penny and more, and unbelievable difference in stability, handling, balance and ride quality. More so than any other mod I've done.
For those of you who don't have them you are truly missing out.
Are you on stock springs still too? Pics please?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The difference is Sam is a racer/driver who just happens to sell parts. Other companies are just that, companies, with salesmen trying to make a commision. I envision these companies have 'employees' that simply surf the net all day pushing products on people instead of helping to set up their cars properly.

Even if I can save a buck or ten going somewhere else, I will order from Sam since he isn't a salesman, he's a fellow gear head.
Agree 100% I've talked with Sam many times on the phone and he has actuly saved me money because he knows what I need and don't need. He's not out to just make a buck, he knows what's best for our cars and wants them to perform optimally and make the customer happy
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Strano Performance for ALL your suspension needs.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

My insight to this is, most thread I see about springs/shocks seem to encompass two types of people:

1. That want a specific result from the chosen combination
This could mean a drag racer who wants to transfer weight and get a better ET or it could mean an autocross racer who wants to carve canyons and maintain stability

2. Your 'average joe' who wants his ride to be lower and look nice and get some better shocks since the stock ones are crap

The first type of person is easy. You want to create a certain action and certain parts provide that action. Buy the parts and you have solved your problem.

The second type of person is tougher. They seem to want to have that lowered look since it looks 'good' but they want the car to ride like a cadillac. Some buy shocks only, some buy springs only, some buy both and change them a year later. Some complain of springs that ride hard/etc. I feel as though its tough to convey over the internet what rides 'good' or what is 'harsh'.

It seems as though the average joe's want to have their cake and eat it too. In the process some companies like the use this as a chance to sell something. I don't have much advice for the OP about which spring to choose but I will recommend searching through past threads and getting real life opinions, not sales pitches.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couple questions here.

1. For you guys that have BMR or Strano springs, how much did it lower the car? I've got some eibachs and it lowered it a little bit too much (was thinking about going back to stock or choosing a different spring). Looks cool but there are clearance issues.

2. What shocks did you go with on your BMR or Strano springs? I keep hearing everyone talk about Koni's. Do they really make that much of a ride difference compared to other brands of shocks? For a DD or weekend warrior are they still worth getting?

If anyone has pics of their BMR/Strano spring cars please post them up.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

1. They lower the car about 1.25". Eibach's are notorious for sitting lower

2. Use the search function. There are a TON of threads, some even in the sticky/FAQ at the top of the suspension section. You'll be looking at a lot of threads.

FAQ link

Ride height picture link

Quick Reply: Springs - BMR vs. Stranos