Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Longer mounting bolt for outer tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer mounting bolt for outer tie rods?

I'm lowered on Strano springs, camber offset bushings, all new Moog front suspension parts and in the last 9 months I've blown out the inner seals on the steering rack. At around 90k miles and January of this year, I replaced the stock rack with a reman unit because the inner tie rod seals blew out... meaning they started leaking fluid. This weekend, I heard the power steering groaning when I was coming home from work and the damn inner tie rod seals blew out again on the new steering rack. I can see them leaking fluid. Yes, the seals are probably not to OEM standards because it's a reman unit but I was more interested in the angle of the tie rods in relation to where they mount on the steering knuckle. From the inner tie rods to the outer, they have a good upward angle to them. If this puts them in a bind, then when the suspension compresses or gets in odd angles from driving, it could possibly cause excessive wear on the seals.

Does anybody make a outer tie rod with a longer mounting bolt that would push the rotational portion of the joint downwards to give it more of a straighter angle?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fully compressed angle will be the same for both a stock ride height and a lowered car. The difference is the starting point, not the ending point.

I don't see an issue with the geometry. 4th gens have been running around on lowered springs for decades without any adverse issues on the rack.

But, to answer your question directly, you are looking for a bumpsteer kit. BAER used to make one and so did Spohn ... I think.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The fully compressed angle will be the same for both a stock ride height and a lowered car. The difference is the starting point, not the ending point.

I don't see an issue with the geometry. 4th gens have been running around on lowered springs for decades without any adverse issues on the rack.

But, to answer your question directly, you are looking for a bumpsteer kit. BAER used to make one and so did Spohn ... I think.

I agree.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have a GM reman rack.......no problems so far
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Baer and PA Racing make bump steer kits, not sure about Spohn.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

I just looked on Pa racing's site...what do bump steer kits do?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
I just looked on Pa racing's site...what do bump steer kits do?
The tie-rod and lower a-arm have different radii and/or radius centers...

as they swing (i.e. "bump") the tie-rod "steers" the hub by virtue of having a different radius/center than the lower a-arm...

the bump-steer kit repositions the end of the tie-rod to minimize this effect.

Quick Reply: Longer mounting bolt for outer tie rods?