Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What causes a creaking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes a creaking noise?

Got a '98 Z28, lowered with blistein shocks. Not too sure on the exact drop or type of shock but all I know is I got 2 noises P***ING me off.

Going over speed bumps, the rear end creaks like hell on every bounce/movement.

Turning corners, I get a clicking noise from the front. I get it front left when turning right, front right when turning left.

Took it to a garage and they reckon I need to put STOCK springs on all corners to get rid of ALL the noises. I can understand the rears maybe, but the front definitely not. The clicking is in time with the turn of the wheel.

The car is driving/handling great, just the noises. Can I get in there and fire a bit spray grease on suspension components? is that dangerous?

Any suggestions appreciated, quite new to the Camaro thing!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

On the rear, check/lube your sway bar bushings. On the clicking in the front, I've seen it caused by the hubs. They are a sealed design so unless you're very industrious and resourceful, you'd have to replace them to fix it. Last I checked several years ago, hubs were over $100 a piece. Just some suggestions based on my past experience.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info BigE. I done a search and the sway bar bushings definitely came up, you wouldn't happen to have a link to a picture of what they look like? I'm not too familiar with the underside of my Camaro!

As for the Hubs, again, i'm not too sure what the "part" would look like or how to replace it. I'll need to do a search on that and get an idea.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the shocks for a lowered car?if not they are not going to handle correctly,and you probably have a bad wheel bearing up front.jack it up and give the wheel a wiggle see if anything feels loose,as for the rearend go over every nut and bolt.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles on the car, check what shocks you have, stock originals? Are they orange? Might be a shock issue, also check if your bump stops are any good, which could indicate a bad shock if they're falling apart (or just age)...

Is the rear sound a creak or more of a squeak? I had a squeak in the rear, but it was internal -- where the rear seat latches on both sides -- a little lubricant finally made that annoyance disappear.

That clicking noise could be chrome peeling off your wheels and rubbing if you have chrome wheels... But you mentioned turning, so for one thing, is your power steering fluid at the right level?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem, and it was the rear upper shock tower bushing, That is behind the back seat.The shock shaft was rubbing the body. When i went over bumps and turned corners it would squeak like hell. i like to have never found it
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks gents, got some good info there. Will check a few things out when I get the chance.

I didn't put the drop in but I can only assume the shocks and springs match, it was fine when I got it but slowly got worse. Actually, it seemed to get worse after I put new wheels on. I went from 17's to 18's.

Will post back any findings.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Ok, Jacked the Camaro up and spent some time under there...

Bump stops are trashed (perished with age but definitely some sign of touching) as is one of the exhaust brackets (drivers side tip bracket). They're easy enough to deal with and don't think they are causing any noises.

I bounced the car up and down and the shocks feel fine and the noise seemed to come form the middle of the rear.

I spray greased all the bushes and everything connected to the sway bar. No difference.

Shock bushings seemed ok. Because i'm in the Middle East everything is so dry and dusty. I can remember having the underneath steam cleaned once and the creak went away temporarily. I think i'll do that again and then try greasing things up again.

What's the best and easiest way to greasy suspension components?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

You have to take the sway bar down so you can get at the insides of the bushings. Spray grease won't penetrate far enough in.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check all your exhaust clamps too...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
You have to take the sway bar down so you can get at the insides of the bushings. Spray grease won't penetrate far enough in.
I thought that when my spray grease was putting a nice top coat on the bushes!

This is a PITA, I live in an apartment (camaro in big car park), it's averaging 110 degrees right now and I have no jack or axle stands... things are stacked against me.

I'll get back with any findings again.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Ok, someone explain this.

Took it to the carwash this morning and got the underside power washed. The suspension creaking noise is gone - but I know not for long.

Why when the water is applied does the noise disapear?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

temporary lubricant? I have a noisy ars too. shocks seem to work fine. after market panhard bar, LCAs, subframes, 18x10.5s with MT 315s. thinkin it was just from the aftermarket stuff. thinkin maybe grease
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Launching!

I know how u feel dude !! ... Middle east frustration of allocable resources ... keep washing it till its time for new suspention upgrades .. Bahrain's QOUTE for fix is REPLACE !!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Hey Reaperchild, those guys in the States don't know how lucky they are when they can order ANYTHING for their Camaro and have it within 3 days, for a fraction of the price it woud cost us!

Still haven't solved anything with the rear squeaking but applied WD40 to all joints surrounding the front hubs and the noise is gone, and has been for a couple of weeks now.

Do you think I have a part wearing out or that it just needed lubed up?

Quick Reply: What causes a creaking noise?