Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk

Now the new question:
This is an 'on car adjustable' phb model, so do i need to jack the car up off the ground (wheels off the ground and rear end unloaded)? Or can it be adjusted with the car sitting on the ground?
It needs to be adjusted with the rear end loaded. Either with the car sitting on the ground if you can fit under it, or with the rear wheels on a set of ramps. Or even better if you have access to a drive on lift.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing you may want to look at is the tightness of the roto-joints themselves. you said that the vibration started when you put the LCA's on, right?

myself and others have observed that the plate which seals off the ball in the roto-joint sometimes loosens up, because there is no set-screw and no threadlocker installed on it by UMI....mine loosened up after only a few thousand miles (and caused horrendous rattling/vibration), but i've heard of others whose roto-joints were loose from the start. once i tightened them back up, it was quiet again, and the vibration was gone.

i'd check them and put some threadlocker on the threads to keep them from backing out, and you should be good to go.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
one thing you may want to look at is the tightness of the roto-joints themselves. you said that the vibration started when you put the LCA's on, right?

myself and others have observed that the plate which seals off the ball in the roto-joint sometimes loosens up, because there is no set-screw and no threadlocker installed on it by UMI....mine loosened up after only a few thousand miles (and caused horrendous rattling/vibration), but i've heard of others whose roto-joints were loose from the start. once i tightened them back up, it was quiet again, and the vibration was gone.

i'd check them and put some threadlocker on the threads to keep them from backing out, and you should be good to go.
you used the spanner wrench you can buy with the LCA's to tighten them back up correct?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

i got that tool .......1 reason i got the LCAs is that they are rebuilldable
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
you used the spanner wrench you can buy with the LCA's to tighten them back up correct?
10-4 good buddy
Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bramlok
It needs to be adjusted with the rear end loaded. Either with the car sitting on the ground if you can fit under it, or with the rear wheels on a set of ramps. Or even better if you have access to a drive on lift.

Right on, thanks!

Quick Reply: UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?