Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?

Is it just me or do they look odd?

These are the Roto\Roto UMI LCA's.

Are they over greased or bushing blown out or is this normal?

I also have the on-car adjustable panhard bar installed as well.

An issue that I now have is under extreem acceleration i will get a grinding feel and sound like maybe rear end gears not meshing or driveshaft not aligned when the rear squats or what??
Attached Thumbnails UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?-p9070679.jpg   UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?-p9070678.jpg   UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?-p9070677.jpg   UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?-p9070676.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greased a little too much, pushed past the seal. I don't think it will hurt it. Mine get all cocked sideways like that too, looks weird but I don't think it has any negative effect.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Interesting.

Now how is this grinding feel relative to the install?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure about that. Maybe try putting the body on jack stands and moving the axle up and down with a jack and see if you can see/hear any binding? Are they used?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Not sure about that. Maybe try putting the body on jack stands and moving the axle up and down with a jack and see if you can see/hear any binding? Are they used?
I noticed the vibration feel the same day they were installed. When its driven normal or even half throttle you dont notice anything...
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whenever you have visible signs of grease coming out of the bushing, their over greased. Umi recommends only 1 to 2 pumps of grease and that is all.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since these control arms feature spherical joints on both ends they have the ability to move freely. The vehicle will move the control arm which ever way it needs to go. So the control arm may be in that position now but will easily move when the vehicle drives. This is basically the same if you were running rod ends on both ends.

If you want to straighten the control arm you should be able to take both hands and twist it straight. You can do this while it is on the car and should be no need to unbolt it. The Roto-Joints are designed to be stiff so it make take force to swivel the control arm.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks ryan.

It seems we are thinking they are over greased, is this an issue?

And as for the vibration, whats that about?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might just be feeling more vibrations than before being transferred into the car... These are not as harsh as a rod end, but they're no hollow rubber bushing either..

Did you have stock & bushings before?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eskimo
You might just be feeling more vibrations than before being transferred into the car... These are not as harsh as a rod end, but they're no hollow rubber bushing either..

Did you have stock & bushings before?

Yea they were stock before.
But when its driven normal there is no difference from when it was stock...

Another thing i just noticed is I can hear the rear end clicking as if the posi is keeping itself unlocked..
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Over greasing them shouldn't hurt anything but it does appear to be a lot of grease coming out of those control arms. I would just let them go for awhile and let that grease wear out. The Roto-Joints are very tight tolerance inside and there isn't a lot of room for grease... so a lot of grease isn't needed.

Control arms, regardless of style, bushing type ect shouldn't cause any vibration issues unless they were lengthened or shortened too long, which isn;t the case hear.

One of our tech guys saw this post and mentioned about a rear end issue and posi also, you posted about the posi unlocking possibly. That might be something you want to get looked at just in case.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 09-10-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

thats how mine are, and no problems. after i upgraded from rod ends to roto-joints, and installing the Relocation brakets as well as installing the control arms properly (previous installer installed em backwards) i have no issues. car rides better then it has in a long time. i love it. props to UMI for making excellent products and for customer service. had a few questions on aligning everything and they answered em quickly.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
thats how mine are, and no problems. after i upgraded from rod ends to roto-joints, and installing the Relocation brakets as well as installing the control arms properly (previous installer installed em backwards) i have no issues. car rides better then it has in a long time. i love it. props to UMI for making excellent products and for customer service. had a few questions on aligning everything and they answered em quickly.

How do i know if they are backwards?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Over greasing them shouldn't hurt anything but it does appear to be a lot of grease coming out of those control arms. I would just let them go for awhile and let that grease wear out. The Roto-Joints are very tight tolerance inside and there isn't a lot of room for grease... so a lot of grease isn't needed.

Control arms, regardless of style, bushing type ect shouldn't cause any vibration issues unless they were lengthened or shortened too long, which isn;t the case hear.

One of our tech guys saw this post and mentioned about a rear end issue and posi also, you posted about the posi unlocking possibly. That might be something you want to get looked at just in case.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Yes, this does help. You guys are great for helping me out and i am very happy with how the car feels tighter, and i feel the pricing was reasonable too.
I also have the panhard bar, maybe it is off just slightly because its adjustable. Or maybe because the poly bushings dont absorb as much vibration, possibly my car had drivetrain vibration before that was never noticed and now it is noticeable under hard throttle?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

I think we can all call it normal and case closed for that.
Thanks for everyones help!

The vibration is a mystery though.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does it sound anything like a tire rubbing? If you installed a adj. phb maybe a tire is contacting somthing when you get on it and the rear squats?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the same vibration feeling and higher speeds 90+ but nice and smooth below that. I just figured I was feeling the road more due to have rod ends instead of rubber bushings.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dave70
does it sound anything like a tire rubbing? If you installed a adj. phb maybe a tire is contacting somthing when you get on it and the rear squats?
No its a drivetrain vibration, and it seems that the car doesnt need to squat that much for it to happen as i will get the sound in 4th or 5th too when hammering it.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
I got the same vibration feeling and higher speeds 90+ but nice and smooth below that. I just figured I was feeling the road more due to have rod ends instead of rubber bushings.
Hmm, well that sounds very familiar too. Let me know if you ever have it investigated.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Default Problem found

The problem looks like the rear isnt aligned. Doing a quick measurement seems that the rearend is off by almost 1 inch to the drivers side.

Moral of the story: Dont trust that just adjusting the new panhard bar to factory size will fit proper, and dont trust anyone else that installed it either...

Now the new question:
This is an 'on car adjustable' phb model, so do i need to jack the car up off the ground (wheels off the ground and rear end unloaded)? Or can it be adjusted with the car sitting on the ground?

Quick Reply: UMI LCA roto installed - looks strange?