Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Congratulations to Sam Strano!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The alternative is to petition GM to do the right things to make the Camaro competitive in the first place.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That might be the first thing you have said on this board that I fully agree with.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Thank you for your congratulations. It's been well touched on, but I'm going to add a few things myself.

First of all, I now hold a total of 15 SCCA Championships (of the Nationwide variety, not regional, divisional type stuff--not sure I can count that high). I've won about half in F-bodies and half in Mustangs. I owned multiple versions of both cars. I am a pony-car guy.

GM killed the Camaro in 2002. It took them years to have another one. What they came up with isn't my cup of tea. It's heavy, it's cramped (for me with a helmet on), it's wide, it's got screwy wheels and a stock suspension that's not as adjustable in the front. And with the 5.0 in the Mustang, doesn't really hold any sort of power advantage to make those shortcomings up. Years back when I first got in the Mustangs, a GM employee working on the 5th gen project called to ask what I would want to see on the car for autox use. Those things never happened--maybe because they don't car, maybe because of the lack of money. I don't know.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about why I don't do X, Y, or Z. I have my reasons. In this case, I wasn't shelling out $30+k for a car that was not competitive. My business is largely based on the fact I don't just sell parts--but that I USE parts and understand how they work, and win with them. I'm not tying myself to a car that can't win for loyalty. And fwiw, Ford has done way more to help me than GM ever did.

I'm considering what to do for next year, and that might include another LS1 powered car, but that's TBD at this point.

Anyway.... I'm back at work. I'm proud to have wrapped up my 7th Solo Nationals title and my 8th ProSolo Championship. I owe Hoosier Tire a lot of thanks for their generous contingency program (those tires ain't cheap you know). And I'd also like to thank you, my customers (and those who I hope someday will be my customers). I'm a gearhead, and I race.. that sometimes takes me away from work for extended periods. I'm glad there are people out there who understand my passion and understand that what I do makes my product and advice better, and that you are patient with me when I get all backed up from being away and it takes a little time to get dug out from the backlog.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm considering what to do for next year, and that might include another LS1 powered car, but that's TBD at this point.
Taking the white car to CP?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Sam. I look forward in purchasing your products in the future.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
The alternative is to petition GM to do the right things to make the Camaro competitive in the first place.
This is just an overall problem in general with lots of cars. Almost everything that was once competitive is now becoming a pig. The BMW M3, the Miata, the Camaro. There's probably a lot more. I bet we'll see the STI gain some more weight.. (maybe it already has)
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I think they are adding all kinds of new features (like IRS, high strength metals, etc.), but not adding the pricey lightweight metals to reduce weight. Seems like a cost benefit analysis where they hue to the low-cost side.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
This is just an overall problem in general with lots of cars. Almost everything that was once competitive is now becoming a pig. The BMW M3, the Miata, the Camaro. There's probably a lot more. I bet we'll see the STI gain some more weight.. (maybe it already has)
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

15 championships? Sounds to me like its time for 15% off for the 15th trophy. Congrats.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Forgot to say congrats, and thanks for your insights.

Re: 5th Gen Camaros, what about:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105416
Stevenson Camaros Win Final Grand-Am GT Race With 1st and 2nd Place!
Congratulations to the Stevenson Camaros finishing 1-2 in their first win for the Camaro in GT.

How about Pedders and Pfadt -- seems like they have no problem making parts and show the car doing well on a road course?

Thank you for your congratulations. It's been well touched on, but I'm going to add a few things myself.

First of all, I now hold a total of 15 SCCA Championships (of the Nationwide variety, not regional, divisional type stuff--not sure I can count that high). I've won about half in F-bodies and half in Mustangs. I owned multiple versions of both cars. I am a pony-car guy.

GM killed the Camaro in 2002. It took them years to have another one. What they came up with isn't my cup of tea. It's heavy, it's cramped (for me with a helmet on), it's wide, it's got screwy wheels and a stock suspension that's not as adjustable in the front. And with the 5.0 in the Mustang, doesn't really hold any sort of power advantage to make those shortcomings up. Years back when I first got in the Mustangs, a GM employee working on the 5th gen project called to ask what I would want to see on the car for autox use. Those things never happened--maybe because they don't car, maybe because of the lack of money. I don't know.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about why I don't do X, Y, or Z. I have my reasons. In this case, I wasn't shelling out $30+k for a car that was not competitive. My business is largely based on the fact I don't just sell parts--but that I USE parts and understand how they work, and win with them. I'm not tying myself to a car that can't win for loyalty. And fwiw, Ford has done way more to help me than GM ever did.

Anyway.... I'm back at work. I'm proud to have wrapped up my 7th Solo Nationals title and my 8th ProSolo Championship. I owe Hoosier Tire a lot of thanks for their generous contingency program (those tires ain't cheap you know). And I'd also like to thank you, my customers (and those who I hope someday will be my customers). I'm a gearhead, and I race.. that sometimes takes me away from work for extended periods. I'm glad there are people out there who understand my passion and understand that what I do makes my product and advice better, and that you are patient with me when I get all backed up from being away and it takes a little time to get dug out from the backlog.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Re: 5th Gen Camaros, what about:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105416
Stevenson Camaros Win Final Grand-Am GT Race With 1st and 2nd Place!
Congratulations to the Stevenson Camaros finishing 1-2 in their first win for the Camaro in GT.

How about Pedders and Pfadt -- seems like they have no problem making parts and show the car doing well on a road course?

The Stevenson Cars are NOT Camaros....they are Camaro bodies. They ran the exact same tube chassis cars as G6 GXP last year.

Congrats Sam!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikestypes
The Stevenson Cars are NOT Camaros....they are Camaro bodies. They ran the exact same tube chassis cars as G6 GXP last year.
This...

Congrats from the West Coast Sam!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

.... and all tube framed Riley chassis. Camaro in name and look only. No more a Camaro than a Nextel Cup car is an Impala.

How about Pedders and Pfadt? I'm a one person company, I do what I can. Further, I setup Corvettes for autox and track days, and guess what.... the cars I do consistently place higher than the cars with Pfadt stuff. And Pedders doesn't do what I do.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sam any videos?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My co-driver has the in-car stuff. I'll see if he can get them edited and posted for me. When they are they'll be able to be found on the video section of my website.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

It would be nice to have 5th Gen. Camaro parts developed by more folks who push the limits like you, it seems most parts companies don't do competition testing much. Inevitably, I will have a 5th Gen in my future -- no interest in a Mustang...

.... and all tube framed Riley chassis. Camaro in name and look only. No more a Camaro than a Nextel Cup car is an Impala.

How about Pedders and Pfadt? I'm a one person company, I do what I can. Further, I setup Corvettes for autox and track days, and guess what.... the cars I do consistently place higher than the cars with Pfadt stuff. And Pedders doesn't do what I do.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have some 5th gen stuff available. Won't be derived from my competition findings like some of the things I have for the 4th gen and the Mustangs, but I still go about recommending parts the same way.

I'm sorry, but I can't race the car. If I did, I wouldn't win it's too heavy and unlike drag racing I can't make that up with more power--and then what? Want to buy stuff from someone who can't win in the car? That's why you aren't seeing them raced much, or very competitively much. Yeah Stevenson has some Continential Tire class cars, but that's not even heads up as the rules slide to fit certain cars and the Mustang is still faster there too.

I have to work with a very stock chassis, and what I do builds upon stock cars. We can improve them greatly, but I can't reinvent the wheel which keeps me from running that car. I might as well run a 1982 Cross-Fire Camaro--at least it handles better.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm proud to have wrapped up my 7th Solo Nationals title and my 8th ProSolo Championship. I owe Hoosier Tire a lot of thanks for their generous contingency program (those tires ain't cheap you know). And I'd also like to thank you, my customers (and those who I hope someday will be my customers). I'm a gearhead, and I race.. that sometimes takes me away from work for extended periods. I'm glad there are people out there who understand my passion and understand that what I do makes my product and advice better, and that you are patient with me when I get all backed up from being away and it takes a little time to get dug out from the backlog.
As you should be ... that is quite an accomplishment.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you and Cheryl Pilcher (Camaro Product Manager), and maybe Scott Settlemire (Fbodfather) should have a one on one conversation about needed improvements... ;-)

I have some 5th gen stuff available. Won't be derived from my competition findings like some of the things I have for the 4th gen and the Mustangs, but I still go about recommending parts the same way.

I'm sorry, but I can't race the car. If I did, I wouldn't win it's too heavy and unlike drag racing I can't make that up with more power--and then what? Want to buy stuff from someone who can't win in the car? That's why you aren't seeing them raced much, or very competitively much. Yeah Stevenson has some Continential Tire class cars, but that's not even heads up as the rules slide to fit certain cars and the Mustang is still faster there too.

I have to work with a very stock chassis, and what I do builds upon stock cars. We can improve them greatly, but I can't reinvent the wheel which keeps me from running that car. I might as well run a 1982 Cross-Fire Camaro--at least it handles better.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sam,
I'll have to call you as I'm working on a 2011 5.0 GT & it could use a little help in the turns.

Congrats on the win...

Quick Reply: Congratulations to Sam Strano!!