Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need a front caliper bracket.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a front caliper bracket.

I was changing the front brakes on my 2002 Z28 and noticed that the slide pins on the drivers side were stuck. When I peeled back the boot it was nothing but solid rust!
I had planned to just buy a new bracket and pins but after two days I am unable to find the front bracket anywhere, it seems that they only carry the rear caliper bracket. I did find a place that will refurbish the bracket if you send it to them, although I am not sure if they will deal with the rusted in slide pins.
I will try to call a junkyard and see if they have that part and have sprayed the some PB onto the ends of the pins to try and get them loose.

Any ideas or anyone that has a front caliper bracket would be a godsend.

Thanks
Derek
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Launching!

take it off the knuckle, putt it in a vise and and try to use vise grips and twist it off. soak it in BRAKE fluid.(yes i said DOT 3 brake fluid)
thats not doing it use a hammer to knock it out if you can.

after you get it out clean off the pins, use a drill bit the EXACT size of the hole in the bracket to clean it out. use brake clean nad then put it back together with grease. should be good.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take the whole assembly off and get a new one from a local store (Bumper to Bumper, etc.). The caliper comes with a bracket, pins, etc. for a pretty good price usually.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

i used LOTS of PB blaster and twisted the pin back and forth ( clockwise...counter clockwise ) as little as it would move........slowly it would move more and more..til finally it came out.......about a hour of time......clean the pins and the hole....rust free.......use new grease....it will be a brand new bracket
Old 09-13-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All the slide pins on my g/fs Volvo were seized with rust, I found them easier to get out by hammering them further into the caliper to loosen them, then twisting/pulling them out with grips.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try and break them loose on my next day off.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im having this same exact problem, I tried using pb blaster, a torch, vice grips, and those pins are STUCK. Autozone doesnt sell them, so im gonna bring it to my machine shop and see if we can yank it out.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing to do is heat the bracket up where the pin resides until it expands and the pin pops out. You will need an oxycetaline torch, your typical propane unit will not get it hot enough.

Obviously if you get it out, clean the bores with a wire brush and buy a new set of pins and some high temp ceramic brake lubricant.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

One of my pins was rusted also. I took the bracket off and placed it in a vise. Drilled a 1/4" in the rear of the bracket and used a punch to knock it out. I used some JB weld putty to seal up the hole after. You'd think autozone and oreilly's would have it in stock but after calling around, I had to bust out the drill lol.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

I recently had this happen too. I tried heating with an oxyacetylene torch and had no luck, a kid in my class ended up snapping the pin off while i wasnt looking. Long story short, no one had one in stock, went to the junkyard and they gave me the bracket and all the hardware for 20 bucks. Wire wheeled the pins and bracket, lubed it up, its like brand new. I'd say the junkyard is the best bet, but make sure the pins arent stuck before you buy it or you have the same problem lol
Old 11-27-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up going to the machine shop I used to work at and drilling the pins out. I got a new set of pins (like 5 dollars) and its as good as new

Quick Reply: Need a front caliper bracket.