Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

def will do! thanks again.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam Rocks...

I have the UMI SA Poly/Rod LCA's without the relo brackets and have the EXACT same complaint as you do. I'm pretty sick and tired of hearing a popping noise from the rear squating or feeling my teeth jar loose from a bumpy road. At the same time, be sure you're using the super lube white lithium grease as that will help some....I decided to just suck it up on my car though cause it's an autox car that I drive on the road, not the other way around. From my research though, the reloc brackets help immensly with cornering and hooking from a dig...so do that too.

Last edited by 98_TA_EMLC; 09-16-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
Buy/borrow/rent a torque wrench and torque the bolts to spec. Harbor freight often has them on sale for $10.
Spend the $ and get a good one. If it's important enough to know what torque your applying, then apparently proper torque is critical.

I took my buddies $10 harbor freight torque wrench to work to see just how accurate they are. We have the equipment to calibrate our own tools. Anyhow, it was approx 20% off midway in it's range of torque. If i remember right that came out to about 25 ft lbs.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all. The reason i checked it was because i was thinking about getting one myself!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Sam Rocks...

I have the UMI SA Poly/Rod LCA's without the relo brackets and have the EXACT same complaint as you do. I'm pretty sick and tired of hearing a popping noise from the rear squating or feeling my teeth jar loose from a bumpy road. At the same time, be sure you're using the super lube white lithium grease as that will help some....I decided to just suck it up on my car though cause it's an autox car that I drive on the road, not the other way around. From my research though, the reloc brackets help immensly with cornering and hooking from a dig...so do that too.
I've always heard that relocation brackets hurt cornering but can help hooking from a dig.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Launching!

I was under the impression that the reloc brackets for cornering help the rear stay even more planted and help the driver predict the traction loss point easier...I'll do some reading real quick.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Relocation brackets screw up the LCA angle for road racers, at least from everything I've read, by making it too steep on the inside wheel during cornering. Depends on the hole locations, though - dropping the LCA a little with stock geometry helps the overall angles during racing, but dropping them too much hurts.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Running LCA's tail down moves the instant center backward. That helps traction in a straight line. But it also induces roll oversteer (the outboard arm has to swing up, effectively making it longer and steering the axle). I prefer stability. Also LCA brackets aren't legal in the classes the car is most competitive. And there are other devices that are legal and help a lot more like sticky tires, good limited slips, not running too much rear swaybar, and a Watts link that all help get power down out of corners without the roll oversteer tendency.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks Sam...
Watts link is on my list, but $650 just ain't in my budget right now! haha.

Yeah I went back and was reading...I didn't see anywhere that said lca reloc will hurt turning (except for what Sam just said), but I think I just assumed the lca reloc would help handling like the PHB reloc would.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Thanks Sam...
Watts link is on my list, but $650 just ain't in my budget right now! haha.

Yeah I went back and was reading...I didn't see anywhere that said lca reloc will hurt turning (except for what Sam just said), but I think I just assumed the lca reloc would help handling like the PHB reloc would.
I've heard the same thing about the PHB relocating..it hurts handling. It's mostly something that people do out of necessity to fit big exhausts AFAIK
Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I've heard the same thing about the PHB relocating..it hurts handling. It's mostly something that people do out of necessity to fit big exhausts AFAIK
You're half right. The standard relocation kit comes with a tubular bar up top which is the peice you're talking about which is primarily for clearing bigger exhausts. That's not the important peice to handling...what is the important peice is the drop bracket that it has for the PHB which lowers your roll center which will help with handling. Now I was talking to wrencher on here about his watts link and he shared with me a cheap solution I could make myself that I'll be doing. It accomplishes the same function by allowing you to lower your roll center height, and while it's not as good as a watts link (by far)...for just a little material it's def a step in the right direction. I'll be getting a watts as the last peice to my suspension when I have $650 laying around.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The UMI LCAs Sam's likes-are they the same weight as the stockers?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure they're heavier from memory, but not by much...the performance gains way out weighs the weight gain...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
The UMI LCAs Sam's likes-are they the same weight as the stockers?
You don't get lighter than the stock ones... There is so little to them and the fact they aren't closed in (boxed) vs ones that are or that are tubular just makes them lighter.

Having said that, a set of aftermarket LCA's is around 9-10 pounds (that's for both).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: non adj LCA = harsh ride?