Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

If you had your way, how would you improve this..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Default If you had your way, how would you improve this..

Rolled the whole k frame assembly out today. As you can see I've already got the K frame/upper/lower control arms covered. The only thing I'm likey going to use on the old k frame is the power steering. This is going to be a daily driver/weekend warrior ride (to work is only 7 miles.) Need recommendations on what can be improved, replaced or even re used. Everything you see is all origional parts from 1994. Thanx

Old 09-25-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i say if you have the funds........go for broke......replace everything
Old 09-25-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

+1
Replace all you can.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

ROFL! Ok thanx guys. A bit vague but I'll take it. Got specific parts that you prefer?

Is there a lighter swaybar I can substitute? I just saw new aluminum swaybar brackets with poly bushings somewhere here that was posted by a sponsor. I'll have to look for them.

Is there a lighter street shock/spring package or is the stock stuff just fine?
Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get most of the info from a search, but I'd do:

LS1 brakes (need spindle, rotor, caliper)
Springs and shocks (I have Stranos and Bilsteins and really like it, Konis are very popular though)
New bushings/ball joints everywhere
Maybe sway bars (Stranos hollow bars look really nice)

I just recently did all of that (minus swaybars) on my 93. Nice improvement, and cuts a few pounds.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni Strano's for the money.. kinda steep thou
Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
You can get most of the info from a search, but I'd do:

Maybe sway bars (Stranos hollow bars look really nice)
See, this is why I like responses most of the time instead of searches. Had no idea Strano sway bars where hollow and much lighter even with the search. Thanx!

And because of my posts I've had sponsors, moderators, and some very experienced members hook me up bigtime with my engine build.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
See, this is why I like responses most of the time instead of searches. Had no idea Strano sway bars where hollow and much lighter even with the search. Thanx!

And because of my posts I've had sponsors, moderators, and some very experienced members hook me up bigtime with my engine build.
Definitely give Sam a call. His springs and sways are amazing from most reviews on here, and the Koni 4/4's I can say are great from experience!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Definitely give Sam a call. His springs and sways are amazing from most reviews on here, and the Koni 4/4's I can say are great from experience!
Been looking at his website. Looks like some seriously good stuff!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Yep give Strano a call and what you dont replace and you have time, a good coat of paint would be good. I'd at least get some steel braded brake lines also.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk

Should pop up in just about any thread regarding his swaybars. They are even listed on his site as hollow.
Now, they are not lighter than stock, but they are also significantly bigger, and offer way more stiffness than stock.

A question that should have been asked, what do you want out of the car? Handling? Drag racing? Ride quality?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Should pop up in just about any thread regarding his swaybars. They are even listed on his site as hollow.
Now, they are not lighter than stock, but they are also significantly bigger, and offer way more stiffness than stock.

A question that should have been asked, what do you want out of the car? Handling? Drag racing? Ride quality?
Drag.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

While I have nothing against Sam, if work is 7 miles and you're not auto crossing, I would DITCH the front sway bar. . . There is some weight savings and you probably won't notice it. Cleans up the underside of the car a tad too.

Have your upper a-arms bead blasted along w/the springs, paint those, the spindle and blast the lower a-arms, then spray all of it black or use por-15. That would help make the k-member stand out and it would all be clean!

Whats on the engine stand in the corner?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duffster
While I have nothing against Sam, if work is 7 miles and you're not auto crossing, I would DITCH the front sway bar. . . There is some weight savings and you probably won't notice it. Cleans up the underside of the car a tad too.

Have your upper a-arms bead blasted along w/the springs, paint those, the spindle and blast the lower a-arms, then spray all of it black or use por-15. That would help make the k-member stand out and it would all be clean!

Whats on the engine stand in the corner?
Ditch the swaybar? Really? Won't it cause instability at speeds greater than 60mph? Don't want my wife to freak out if she takes it to work which is much further away.

I have new BMR upper and lower control arms. One of them is in the pic to the left. How did you not notice that but notice the engine stand underneath the table?! lol BTW the engine stand had my block on it, now the machine shop has it.

I'll take your advise on bead blasting the springs though until I recoup more funds. That and I'll try to get my hands on LS1 brakes with the spindles.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Duffster
...if work is 7 miles and you're not auto crossing, I would DITCH the front sway bar. . . There is some weight savings and you probably won't notice it. Cleans up the underside of the car a tad too.
To each their own, I did that (commute to work is 10 miles each way) and noticed a pretty big difference. Granted, my commute isn't in a straight line. Needless to say, after about a month, I put the swabar back on and fell in love with my car all over again!

Quick Reply: If you had your way, how would you improve this..