Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting stock springs

I know I'll get some flack for this but I'm posting it as information to anyone considering doing this. I researched this and saw nothing but hatred towards the idea of cutting the stock springs to lower the car.

My 2002 WS6 used to have a wheel gap of 2.25" up front! It looked terrible as my front end was higher than my rear end, which has a wheel gap of 1.25 inches. I didn't want to spend the money on aftermarket springs, so I decided to get my hands on a set of V6 front springs that I got for $10, and give cutting them a shot. I had nothing to lose, since if after cutting them looked horrible I would just put the V8 springs back on. I did the math, and cutting a set of V6 front springs makes the spring rate of the V6's VERY close to that of a stock V8 springs (formula to calculate spring rate found by searching). The V6 springs have less spring rate than the V8's, but since you are cutting some of the coil off it raises the spring rate very nearly to that of the V8.

I used the 1 coil for 2" rule and cut one full coil off the front. The result was amazing. I now only have .25" of wheel gap and I love it! My car rides exactly how it did before, no one, including myself, would ever be able to tell the car had cut V6 springs on it.

The result was a complete success, so if anyone out there is thinking about doing this and wants to save money lowering their car then go for it! Get a set of cheap springs so you have nothing to lose if it turns out bad. BE SURE TO USE A CUTTING WHEEL NOT A TORCH!! The heat from the torch will loosen the spring rate drastically!

Here are a couple before and after shots:
BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's a reason that rates should increase when you use lowering springs, it's not just to improve handling or to hurt ride, it's to deal with the decreased suspension travel. Using V8 rates (or nearly) while lowering your car 2" will probably result in poor ride/handling if you're hitting road imperfections.

Glad you're happy with it, the ride does look really nice.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

the drop looks good man. lets hope they hold up for you
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the compliments guys, it worked out really well. Its been 7 months since I cut them and they've held up great and I'm still yet to bottom out. I just decided to post now since I remembered a lot of people (including myself) asking about this topic and finding nothing but resistance toward the idea.

If you're looking to save some scratch, know how to use a cutoff wheel, and have some gumption then go for it!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

I'm curious as to how cutting springs increases the working rate of them. I thought the rate of the spring was determined by the wind and type of steel? For eg., a 300lb per inch spring (V8) will still need 300lbs of force to compress per inch even if it was cut in half?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rates of the springs actually do have something to do with the length.

This calculator can actually help you determine spring rates.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, the more coils the easier it is to compress the spring, and thus, a lower spring rate.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used stock v6 springs and that alone lowered the car. I dont think it handles better but when I start off the line it seems the front comes up, putting weight on the rear the cart hooks up better.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the car in my sig. It's riding on stock springs, 1.25" coils cut up front and 1.5" out back. I couldn't have asked for a better stance. The ride is now noticeably stiffer than stock, which is what I wanted, but it beats the **** out of the Intrax kit I was running previously. I do have KYB AGX shocks which helped out a lot, but I can only imagine how much better it would be with Koni SAs.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you cut springs to you cut them from the top or the bottom?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i cut mine at the bottom
Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
i cut mine at the bottom
Yeah the front ones are to be cut at the bottom, but the rear springs get cut at the top. As a general rule, you always cut the end that's the same diameter as the rest of the spring. If you cut the end that's wound tight, you're gonna need a new one.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well nice work OP. There will be some naysayers, but its a nearly free mod so it will come with some negatives. But it does look good
Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
Yeah the front ones are to be cut at the bottom, but the rear springs get cut at the top. As a general rule, you always cut the end that's the same diameter as the rest of the spring. If you cut the end that's wound tight, you're gonna need a new one.
x's two, always cut on the side that is the same diameter as the rest of the spring, otherwise the spring wont seat right (obviously)

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Well nice work OP. There will be some naysayers, but its a nearly free mod so it will come with some negatives. But it does look good
Thanks for the compliment! I was surprised myself at how well it worked.

Quick Reply: Cutting stock springs