Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is the best brake/rotor for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best brake/rotor for the buck?

Hitting 50K on the Hawk soon. What is the best brake/rotor replacement when it comes to cost, performance and looks. Ease of replacement a plus too. Looking for daily driver performance...with an emphasis on looks cool. I do have a bit of vibration/shaking when I brake now since I moved to a staggered wheel setup of 19" rear/18" front....adjusted the wheel size with Hypertech, but I'm guessing it is the ABS being confused or worn rotors?
Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I think most on here would tell you brembo blanks for rotors, some good/fresh fluid, and a good set of Hawk pads is a good setup. This is performance wise that is. Youll have to pay more and suffer performance to get the drilled/slotted. I really like the R1 Concept rotors and I plan on buying them when I do the CTS-V up front. Just my .02.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Launching!

What does the CTS-V setup cost? Any major modifications for that, or is it plug and play? Where you ordering from?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

CTS-V can be anywhere from $500-800 Id say up front. It is all plug and play but now its hard to find the CTS-V calipers. Search for it and youll find a couple of threads real informative about it.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

warped rotors will feel like a pulsating sensation when your braking slowing. As your start to get to a stop, brake really slowly. keep your foot steady with the same brake pressure. If you can feel the car brake more, then less, then more, etc...your rotors are bad.

The abs system only likes the stock tire height. Rims dont matter as long as the total height is the same.

Im overhauling my brake system right now. resurfaced my powerslot rotors, new calipers, new hawk pads, stainless steel lines, abs delete kit, fresh fluid. Should do the trick! I plan on drag brakes for the rear.

You really dont need much more than that in these cars for street performance.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Launching!

I have a set of drilled and slotted rotors w/ cermaic pads from Brake Motive.. They look great and have yet to squeak or show any signs of fade, warpage etc. Should be able to find a complete set of 4 rotors and pads for around $180 on ebay. search brakemotive (one word)

Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nichoLaS1
I have a set of drilled and slotted rotors w/ cermaic pads from Brake Motive.. They look great and have yet to squeak or show any signs of fade, warpage etc. Should be able to find a complete set of 4 rotors and pads for around $180 on ebay. search brakemotive (one word)

Um... See the discolored lines that correspond to where the holes are? That right there shows you why you don't want drilled rotors. I just took a set of a BMW 325is, that were much more worn but showed the same pattern.

See those are just normal rotors that are later drilled. The drilling not only takes away swept area, but changes the strength of the rotor too. The lighting on the above picture shows how the wear can be funny with drilled rotors that are based off of normal blank rotors.

Those lines are wear patterns and while right now it's discoloration it will become actual wear with miles.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Um... See the discolored lines that correspond to where the holes are? That right there shows you why you don't want drilled rotors. I just took a set of a BMW 325is, that were much more worn but showed the same pattern.

See those are just normal rotors that are later drilled. The drilling not only takes away swept area, but changes the strength of the rotor too. The lighting on the above picture shows how the wear can be funny with drilled rotors that are based off of normal blank rotors.

Those lines are wear patterns and while right now it's discoloration it will become actual wear with miles.
Learn something new everday.. They work fine (for now) for daily driving, but proves you get what you (or previous owner) pay for lol.. thanks for pointing that out

What should I expect to see in terms of wear over time?

Quick Reply: What is the best brake/rotor for the buck?