Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Have Konis & Stranos and couldn't be happier!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Granted and good point.

But does the feedback truly belong in a tech forum or here?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback-70/
Mitch... you really let you hate of me come out in very obvious ways.....

Does feedback belong in this forum? If it was just feedback about me that would be one thing, but it's feedback about *GASP* Suspension! And last I checked that was what this section was about. If it's not discussed, then was good is a discussion board? He offered a direct before/after comparison of two setups--HOW DARE HE!

I mean if you prefer that he also post in the feedback section, I wouldn't mind it. He seems plenty happy with the results. If say the results included some other name other than mine--- I'd be you'd be fine with this thread.

Again, it's fine with me if you want to keep barking up this tree. It gives me heartburn--but it also gives me a chance to answer your posts, which I'm sure in your eyes is just more "advertising".....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-25-2010 | 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

How am I hating of you or any one or any thing?

I simply asked how he came to his conclusions.

The tangent you reference was then brought on by your entourage.
Old 10-25-2010 | 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Give it rest already. You only do this where I'm involved.

Harassing me is one thing, but when you do it customers of mine it gets pretty old. I get it you don't like me or when, god forbid, someone feels I've done a good job for them and feels they want to tell someone else.
Old 10-25-2010 | 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

You know, I don't feel the need to come to anybody's rescue, let alone Sam - he has nothing to be ashamed about, judging by my PERSONAL dealings with him, but I posted here just to share my personal experiences. I have had good exp. with other vendors and said so in other threads, but NEVER was my purchase or motive for posting challenged in such an antagonistic manner! I am responsible for this bickering in a way, but I didn't feel that my post would be offensive to ANYBODY. I deliberately ONLY mentioned my own experiences as a driving enthusiast and did not claim to be a race car driver or autox champ. I was anticipating further questions @ the install, settings etc and would be happy to share with those who asked, not more or less being told I don't know my own car! It's ludicrous and serves no outward purpose. One observation - same people start threads time and time again but it seems some guys are just waiting in the preverbial bushes to pounce and to execute a personal vendetta. We know who I am talking about. His replies are helpful in other posts, but when it comes to a certain vendor he cannot, or will not let the perceived affront slide. I've said it before, if ya see a post that interests you, read it. If you see one that you can add to, do it. If doesn't interest you, do what everybody else does -MOVE ON. There is enough going on here for everyone
Old 10-25-2010 | 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pewter2002
You know, I don't feel the need to come to anybody's rescue, let alone Sam - he has nothing to be ashamed about, judging by my PERSONAL dealings with him, but I posted here just to share my personal experiences.
Just to make sure we are all on the same page ... your original post was not about buying product from Stranoparts.com (shameless plug). Rather claims of improvement made.

My response was about quantifying how you drew your conclusions ... period. I drew a parallel to illustrate how "claims" in other areas will get you shot down in flames. This area is the only place where a feeling in a butt cheek is good enough.

It wasn't a personal attack. But you obviously took it that way. I can't be responsible for how you interpret my posts.

I've suggested to others and now you that if you don't like me personally or don't like what I posts, this site has a wonderful tool called "Ignore". It works great.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Give it rest already. You only do this where I'm involved.
Don't flatter yourself.

You aren't as important in my world as I appear to be in yours. I've been just as critical of BMR and Spohn claims and activities on the forum.
Old 10-25-2010 | 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by notsonic
what was it about the setup that you didn't like?

i've had slp bilsteins and eibach (prokit 93-95 3.4) springs for a few years now. it handles great imo, but the ride is kinda harsh and i feel the travel is limited. i've been tossing around the idea of changing em for a while now but dunno what to go with.

i liked the ride my friend's 00 bird had after i installed agx's and the 3.8 prokit, nice and smooth, but noticeably more body roll and overall less "confidence inspiring." i think im just getting old.
I just don't like the way the car rides, and it feels very unsettled even under normal driving. Also, hard cornering makes me feel like the back end is going to step out much sooner than I would expect. I know it wont, from my own testing of its limits in a large open lot, but it feels that way. It does not inspire confidence at all. I've been playing with the settings for several months now and can't find one that really feels good.

My old setup was Bilstiens on stock springs, same LCA's, same PHB, but with UMI solid sways instead of Sam's hollow sways. I felt much more confident driving that setup. Again, this is my personal opinion, and one that is not shared by very many people.
Old 10-25-2010 | 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

The rear bilsteins are soft on rebound. The Koni's are much better. I have the 3rd gen Koni's on the rear and recently cranked them up one notch. The stiffer rebound gives less "sway" at higher speeds.
Old 10-25-2010 | 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ So you acknowledge NOW that my post was @ my seat of the pants feeling and NOT @ sponsor feedback, which is where you thought originally this post should go! Well NOW you agree with ME on that! What's with the flip-flop? Make up your mind! It was always about MY driving impressions, before and after. Not yours. Read all the posts again, gain some insight, you seem to crave ammo for the next sorte. I even mention that my setup may not be for everyone, giving creedance to differing opinions. I do not have experience with other susp. other than what I mentioned. I did not claim my new susp was the only choice out there, I did not bad mouth people for THEIR PERSONAL choice, something you tend to do, and I don't see how you have contributed to this thread other than negativity. I'm not going to change my post to something that would be acceptable to you- I do not even think that would be possible. The post is what it is, no hidden agenda, no malice intended, probably written more from a laymans standpoint. It is NOT in the autox section for a reason, and NOT b/c that's your home turf! It's a wonder that a guy of your stature here would even post the way you do...
Old 10-25-2010 | 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I just don't like the way the car rides, and it feels very unsettled even under normal driving. Also, hard cornering makes me feel like the back end is going to step out much sooner than I would expect. I know it wont, from my own testing of its limits in a large open lot, but it feels that way. It does not inspire confidence at all. I've been playing with the settings for several months now and can't find one that really feels good.

My old setup was Bilstiens on stock springs, same LCA's, same PHB, but with UMI solid sways instead of Sam's hollow sways. I felt much more confident driving that setup. Again, this is my personal opinion, and one that is not shared by very many people.
What are your alignment specs?
What are your shocks set to?
Old 10-27-2010 | 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What are your alignment specs?
What are your shocks set to?
Alingment has stock CA specs (different than other places because of the crown on the road). It was actually pretty close to spot on, it was like -1* camber in the front if I remember the sheet right.

I have tried every setting on the shocks. I have mixed and matched the front and back settings as well (higher in front, lower in the back). I ride it for 2-3 days each time to see how it feels. I'm in no way saying it feels bad, just not as good as I expected.
Old 10-28-2010 | 10:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, that right there is pretty telling. I've never heard that before. Stock "CA specs". Crowned roads exist other places, and if you read the GM service manual you'll find there are no California specific specifications--which makes me question the alignment all together. And -1 is certainly not a GM spec--that's a good bit out of spec and it the roads are crowned and/or rutted badly the camber will make it hunt around more.

And if the shock settings aren't really changing it, it's not a damping issue. Shocks can't do everything....
Old 10-28-2010 | 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought -1 degree camber was pretty good for street driving. I have -1.5 now and it's also pretty good. My tires used to wear more with the +.5 stock camber.

What other modifications does ARC have? Unsettling doesn't seem like a characteristic that the combination should be giving you. Harsher ride for ones preference maybe (though I think it's very comfortable), but the Strano combo shouldn't be unsettling
Old 10-28-2010 | 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sales are not final.... Returns are dependent on the situation. Anything not installed can be returned within 30 days. If you'd like to know what the policies all one has to do is ask.

And it's not really relevant if you aren't a current or potential customer of Strano Performance Parts and given your previous posts I don't think you care to know Alec--just looking to stir some crap up.

And if I was so bad to deal with, I'm sure you'd have heard about it from all those unhappy folks. Can't please everyone, but it seems the only ones I really upset are those that aren't my customers anyway. Those that are seem pretty happy...
Old 10-28-2010 | 04:45 PM
Teching In

Sam, you must have beat some of these guys at various SCCA Events. Being relatively new to the this forum, it's apparent some of these folks are holding some ill will toward you.

I wonder if any of these folks in question are fellow business owners. Speaking from personal experience (and as a business owner myself), you sell parts based on "real world testing". You operate with unmatched experience, advice, and honesty.

As for my $.02 to those folks in question....."Lighten up a little. Unless I've missed something, Sam has done nothing but bring his years of experience to the table, offer valuable advice, and sell products that people need". But importantly, if after talking with them, they don't need a particular part, HE DOESN'T FORCE IT ON THEM.

Sam is one the few business people left in the world that has his customers best interest at heart and not his pocketbook.

Keep up the great work, Sam

Dan
Old 10-28-2010 | 05:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Then I apologize Alec... You have been one to jump on the bash on Sam bandwagon, so I assumed that is what happened.

I can't think of many legit businesses that have a no return policy on non-special order parts. Depending on the item, and the reason for the return there are restocking fees. Without those people tend to abuse the fact sales are not final. It's their decision to purchase products and I don't hold a gun to their heads to do it. I would hope the decision was well thought out before ordering because it's a lot of hassle on both sides to do returns.

I think you'll find most companies, particularly smaller ones, have a restocking policy of some sort.
Old 10-29-2010 | 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

^^ Considering his posts elsewhere, it looked like baiting to me as well...

Quick Reply: Have Konis & Stranos and couldn't be happier!